3 club tourney - what do you take and why?

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Only a few 3 club tourney threads existed but they were very old so I figured we could use a fresh one.

Playing in a 2 man 3 club tourney tomorrow, can't share clubs. Think it's going to be best ball but not positive. Been thinking a lot about which clubs to use and I've read up quite a bit also.

Some info that may help:

- course will play around 6,000 yards
- par 3's will play 120-180...3 of 4 will be 120-140
- only 1 hole has a forced water carry off the tee, toughest par 4 on the course

My initial thought was 4 hybrid, 8 iron, and putter. But the more I read I see folks going hybrid, mid-iron, and SW while using the hybrid to putt. Honestly wasn't sure how well it would go with hybrid putting hence why I didn't want to lose any strokes on the greens so I would go putter.

What would you do?

Hybrid, 7 iron and 52 wedge. I have no issues putting with a wedge. Kind of the opposite of chutting, right? Haha

For me it would be driver, 6-Iron and wedge. I'll putt with the 6 iron.

JM

I would say hybrid, mid iron and SW, that way you've got clubs to hit for almost every shot, and hybrid off the tee and on the greens!

Another reason I started leaning away from putter in favor of a 54* wedge is that I figure I won't hit a ton of greens and therefore being able to take a wedge and try to get it close will be important. Hate the thought of having to do all of the short game work with an 8 iron from a trap or carrying a hazard, etc.

I would go Heavenwood, 9i (150yd club) and putter.

Driver
7 iron
Putter

I would go with 4 hybrid, 7 iron and SW.....I can putt with a hybrid....just Matt Kuchar the shaft up the arm....7 iron is pretty dam versatile and you need a wedge for various shots around the green.

I would say hybrid, mid iron and SW, that way you've got clubs to hit for almost every shot, and hybrid off the tee and on the greens!
this is me

I've done this exactly once in my life for 9 holes. I went with 3 wood, 8 iron (par 3 distances), and PW. IT ABSOLUTELY KILLED me not having the putter. I don't know about you, but I never practice putting with anything other than my putter. And even when I did pull off decent shots to get onto greens, trying to putt with a 3 wood (good luck getting the touch down) or blade an 8 or PW, it was all downhill from there.

Also...I played in a group with one of the better players in our league, who had 3 wood, 7 iron, and putter, and he shot 39.

I just played in a 5 club tournament, and having to drop 2 more clubs would make things so much tougher... Based on the specs you gave, I would do this:

4H
8I
SW

Would either belly the wedge to putt with or use the hybrid.

Good luck, it will be a new experience on the course that is for sure!

Great feedback all, much appreciated.

And Pete, you highlighted my fear of playing decently and then blowing it on the greens. Folks will be missing 3 footers...it's inevitable.

Driver
7 iron
Putter

And I would say it would be my CURE putter, because using that around the greens is as easy as a wedge.
I thought about going Niblick instead of putter, because its easy to putt with though.

I think practicing with a wedge does wonders for one's putting.

5W, 8i, and putter. May have forced chutting������ But this is just hypothetical, couldn't do it in real life.

3w 7i wedge. My putter is useless anyways so I might as well not include it. These 3 clubs give me a ton of versatility

This tough... I'd probably go 4H, 7i, SW... and I think I could figure out how to putt decently with all of them.

Good luck in the tourney, #Cookie. I hope it's more fun than annoying. ;)

I like the idea of the hybrid to putt with. Serves multiple tasks and would probably do the same. Then I'd add in a 7 or 8 irons along with a SW.

Good Luck!

Great feedback all, much appreciated.

And Pete, you highlighted my fear of playing decently and then blowing it on the greens. Folks will be missing 3 footers...it's inevitable.
And you don't think there is a mental/confidence aspect of that as well? You start missing 3 footers with the belly of your wedge and good luck with the tap ins.

3w 7i wedge. My putter is useless anyways so I might as well not include it. These 3 clubs give me a ton of versatility
This made me laugh.

Driver
Putter
Iron that gets you to next to the longest par 3 (I say that because I know the course. #17 is forecasted to be into a 15mph S wind. The iron/hybrid you need for that wouldn't be a good club for the other 17 holes. But, the iron you use for the other par 3's should also be a decent all-around option for just about every hole).

#1 could prove tricky. You want to avoid the downhill lie on your approach, if at all possible. . But, you also want a confident swing to carry the creek. Maybe Driver, Driver to layup down in the flat spot
#5 Needs your driver
#11 Want an iron that carries the pond
#12 Driver is a nice option so you can carry drainage ditch on 2nd shot
#13 Driver gets you past trees so you can carry creek on 2nd shot
#15 Driver gets you far enough to carry water on 2nd shot
#16 Might need to play this as a par 5 and lay up 2nd before water
#17 Nothing wrong with short/right. Chip up and maybe get a par

You or your partner may want to consider one of you not bringing a putter. So, you have more options from the tee/fairway/pitch/chip areas.
HAVE FUN! Let us know how it goes.

I'll have plenty of time to do short game work in the morning so I'll likely just see how it feels putting with the Apex hybrid or SW and make a decision off the cuff. Would really like to have the 54* in the bag if possible.

I'll have plenty of time to do short game work in the morning so I'll likely just see how it feels putting with the Apex hybrid or SW and make a decision off the cuff. Would really like to have the 54* in the bag if possible.

54* is a good idea. With this format, there will be a lot of missed greens.

3w, 5 or 6i, 56*
I believe that I can play any shot from 90-170 w a 6 iron. And putt w any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver
Putter
Iron that gets you to next to the longest par 3 (I say that because I know the course. #17 is forecasted to be into a 15mph S wind. The iron/hybrid you need for that wouldn't be a good club for the other 17 holes. But, the iron you use for the other par 3's should also be a decent all-around option for just about every hole).

#1 could prove tricky. You want to avoid the downhill lie on your approach, if at all possible. . But, you also want a confident swing to carry the creek. Maybe Driver, Driver to layup down in the flat spot
#5 Needs your driver
#11 Want an iron that carries the pond
#12 Driver is a nice option so you can carry drainage ditch on 2nd shot
#13 Driver gets you past trees so you can carry creek on 2nd shot
#15 Driver gets you far enough to carry water on 2nd shot
#16 Might need to play this as a par 5 and lay up 2nd before water
#17 Nothing wrong with short/right. Chip up and maybe get a par

You or your partner may want to consider one of you not bringing a putter. So, you have more options from the tee/fairway/pitch/chip areas.
HAVE FUN! Let us know how it goes.

Great thoughts since you know the track Doug. The 8i was a thought given that it puts me on 3 of the 4 par 3's and then hybrid works on 17.

Not sure if hybrid can clear water on 5 or not. If not, I can layup to water then play it in from there as a 3 shot hole. I think I can get around most par 4 greens with hybrid-hybrid or hybrid-8i.

3W - can play it off the tee and off the deck about 230yds

8I - my 160 yd club, plus I I can use it as my Texas wedge for greenside chips

Putter - 90% of the time it's the best club in my bag and and the strength of my game, also can use it for chutting... heck Bernhard Langer can hit his putter 200+ off a tee.

Back