Warm up routine (pre-round)

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
Would like to hear what people do to warm up before a round. I do a bit of stretching and always feel the need to hit a small bucket of balls. Then I go to either the practice green or chipping area next (depending on which is less busy) and then finish off with the other. When on the practice green I'm really just trying to get a feel for the speed of the putts so I'm doing more long putts than short ones. I figure all this takes me 30-45 minutes.

Putt for about 10 minutes to get a feel for the greens, a little stretching to make sure nothing snaps, hang out with the other two of my regular foursome and wait for our perennial last-minute-arrival guy. (I was guilty of that this weekend.)

Bucket of balls with 5 clubs, including the being used on the first tee. Putting and stretching.

My wife hates warming up and I golf most if the time with her so I just generally roll a few putts to get some feel. That's where the strokes add up. Some light stretching just before I tee off.
If I have time, I will do just what you described.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually do some stretching, I have a weight to add on to my club and do some swinging with that to loosen up. Then I usually chip or putt for a few minutes if I have extra time.

If I am playing a competitive round with old friends or in a tournament I try to hit range balls.

My warm up routine is real similar to your. Bucket of balls starting with SW and working up from there. I don't hit every iron my bag but I will hit a couple extra if I'm struggling with a certain distance. Then I practice a few short and long pitches and finish with putting. I work on getting the feel for some long putts and work on distance control. The last thing is a few short 3 to 4 foot putts where I work on my alignment.

The reason I ask is that my two playing partners don't hit any balls at all. They didn't even putt. One of them was 40 at the turn. Of course, they both were familiar with the course but I just can't imagine going on the first tee without hitting some balls first. I have to say though that at the course we played you had to hit of mats that should have been replaced 10 years ago so maybe that is why they didn't bother hitting anything.

Here's what Lefty does. Very interesting and simple.

My warm up routine is real similar to your. Bucket of balls starting with SW and working up from there. I don't hit every iron my bag but I will hit a couple extra if I'm struggling with a certain distance. Then I practice a few short and long pitches and finish with putting. I work on getting the feel for some long putts and work on distance control. The last thing is a few short 3 to 4 foot putts where I work on my alignment.

I tend to start with the PW, then go 7, maybe a 5, hybrid, 3 wood. I am not using a driver.

Here's what Lefty does. Very interesting and simple.

Yeah, but did he hit the fairway on his opening tee shot? :D

I'll putt and swing the Orange Whip to warm up but I stay away from hitting any balls on the range. For some reason I always play worse after doing that.

Here is my routine. Very overly complicated.

A) Pull car in to parking lot of course, and find a parking spot
B) Get out of car, get clubs and shoes out and ready to go.
C) Set up push cart if using it, or golf cart if riding.
D) Go to clubhouse tell them I am heading out
E) Walk to 1st Tee
F) Tee one up and let it fly.

I'll putt and swing the Orange Whip to warm up but I stay away from hitting any balls on the range. For some reason I always play worse after doing that.

It's funny, one year years ago we played on Thanksgiving and the range was closed. We were all allowed a mulligan on the first tee only (which I needed) and I went on to shoot an 86 which was good for me back then. Maybe you're on to something.

My best rounds of golf have come when I have time to "warm up".

My routine consists of:

-Stretching

-Hitting a small bucket of balls: Starting with my wedges doing 1/4 swings and working up to full swings. Usually hit a few irons and end it with a few driver shots

-Putting and chipping at the course for about 10 minutes

It's funny, one year years ago we played on Thanksgiving and the range was closed. We were all allowed a mulligan on the first tee only (which I needed) and I went on to shoot an 86 which was good for me back then. Maybe you're on to something.

Yeah, don't know what is other than hitting on the range gets me thinking too much about my swing early on in the round.

I like to stretch a little bit, then hit a few balls (maybe 15-20 tops) just to see what miss I am probably going to be playing that day and get a bit warm.

Then try and putt for 5 minutes or so. Try some longer putts to get the speed, then a few shorter putts to hopefully hole a few and get some confidence.

Shouldn't take more than 20-25 minutes all in.

Here is my routine. Very overly complicated.

A) Pull car in to parking lot of course, and find a parking spot
B) Get out of car, get clubs and shoes out and ready to go.
C) Set up push cart if using it, or golf cart if riding.
D) Go to clubhouse tell them I am heading out
E) Walk to 1st Tee
F) Tee one up and let it fly.
Streamlined. All business. No extraneous parts.

I try to hit about 20 shots on the grass at the range since no one is out there, I'll move ahead of the mats. Then hit a few with my driver. Then lag putt for about 20 minutes to get the speed down so I don't four putt the first green.

I usually stretch, then putt and chip for about 10 minutes. If I'm not rushed for time and I get there really early I like to hit a small bucket. Just working on tempo; I usually go PW, 8i, 6i, then driver, and finish the bucket with wedge shots.

I spend about 10 minutes hitting irons - start with the SW and finish with a 5 or 6 iron. If my tempo is good and I'm hitting the ball flush, I'll quit after 5 minutes. Putting for another 5 minutes and I'm good to go.

My body hates golf, so I do some stretching and get some swings in before hand to try to loosen up. When I hit the putting green, its just to get a feel for the speed out there. I try to keep moving if its slow and there's a lot of standing around as my back tightens up quickly.

Little bit of stretching (sometimes done in the morning at home before I head to the course), small bucket of balls (if I have time), and then 10-15min on the putting green.

I stretch for about 5 minutes, take about 10 swings with the orange whip and hit five Gap as well as Lob wedge, then five 8 irons, five 6 irons and about 5-10 drives. (takes about 25 minutes)

After I go to the putting green to get a feel for the speeds and over to the first tee.

I stretch for about 5 minutes or so and then try to hijack some leftover range balls and hit no more than 10 or so just to get loose (this is usually with a short and mid iron only). After that its putting and chipping (if available) greens. I try to get to the course 45 min early to do all of this and not feel rushed. Worse thing for me is feel rushed at anytime...before or during the round.

Always at least some putting and stretching. Always try to at least get a small warm up bucket as well (20-30 balls or so). Chipping is nice if possible as well. I try to allow myself at least 20-25 minutes for warmup, but preferably longer.

Back