Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid - Thoughts?

nclefty

Reaction score
Handicap
What can y'all tell me about the Apex 20* hybrid? Have the chance to pick one up (used) with stock Kuro Kage shaft.

Have played hybrids in the past that tended to get too hook-prone (partially due to shafts that were not stiff enough) and have been playing an Apex UT 18* recently. Heard from various sources that Apex hybrid is less hook-prone.

Any insight?

I love this club (20*). Not sure on the shaft but I got a cpo stiff about 6 months ago and it is money.

I've had one in the bag fit the past year which is a huge endorsement from me! It's been a really good hybrid, easy to hit out of about any lie and gives me enough forgiveness.

Hit it last week on a launch monitor and liked it enough ive been on the lookout for one

I like mine a lot. While there are some that are more forgiving I've had more success with this off a wide variety of lies than any other hybrid I've had. I like the more iron like shape of the head. It isn't hook proof, but probably a little more hook resistant than a lot of hybrids out there.

I like mine a lot. While there are some that are more forgiving I've had more success with this off a wide variety of lies than any other hybrid I've had. I like the more iron like shape of the head. It isn't hook proof, but probably a little more hook resistant than a lot of hybrids out there.

Good to hear. Read that the Apex could be a little hook-y on toe hits but otherwise is more neutral and not as draw-biased as some of the "hotter" hybrids on the market. Don't need the 3 hybrid to go a million miles so thought this could be a good fit.

Good to hear. Read that the Apex could be a little hook-y on toe hits but otherwise is more neutral and not as draw-biased as some of the "hotter" hybrids on the market. Don't need the 3 hybrid to go a million miles so thought this could be a good fit.

I think that is accurate. If you hit toward the toe the gear effect can come into play. I'd say it feels neutral without a bias in either direction. It fills the distance gap where I need it nicely.

I picked one up from CPO about a month or so ago.

It's the first hybrid I've hit that I haven't absolutely hooked off the planet. In fact I seem to be able to get this one moving either direction if I put a good swing on it. I haven't had to use it too often so far, but it seems to fit the gap I was looking for, and I've enjoyed my limited experience with it so far.

Love my hybrids so much that I replaced my 3 wood with the 2H. Can carry it 240 yards and straight.

What can y'all tell me about the Apex 20* hybrid? Have the chance to pick one up (used) with stock Kuro Kage shaft.

Have played hybrids in the past that tended to get too hook-prone (partially due to shafts that were not stiff enough) and have been playing an Apex UT 18* recently. Heard from various sources that Apex hybrid is less hook-prone.

Any insight?

I've never had a problem with hybrids hooking of any kind, but the Apex is a damn good hybrid. Distance is really good and the launch is incredible. I believe it was one of the fastest hybrids to catch on with Callaway tour pros, which is usually a good sign for anyone worried about hooking it I guess.

Curious though as for the shafts...wouldn't a shaft that is weak for your swing tend to make the ball fade/slice, and not draw/hook? The head would be "catching up" per say, not over rotating. That's more of an open question to everyone, as I don't fully know, that's just what would make sense to me.

It's a very good head, but especially with hybrids it's all about the shaft. I hit a 22 degree Mizuno JPX 900 hybrid at a demo day earlier this month and got a shaft dialed in that hit it high and long with great consistency and small dispersion. Almost bought it on the spot, except I also go with a 18 degree hybrid and couldn't get that one dialed in as well. Went to Golf Galaxy for their grand opening one week later with the intent of getting fitted with the Callaway Apex hybrids. I believe it's a better head, but they only had TWO shafts to fit on that head and neither performed anywhere near what I got at the demo day. Get fit by someone who knows what they are doing and has plenty of shaft options. Going used with a shaft you haven't tried is a crap shoot.

Curious though as for the shafts...wouldn't a shaft that is weak for your swing tend to make the ball fade/slice, and not draw/hook? The head would be "catching up" per say, not over rotating. That's more of an open question to everyone, as I don't fully know, that's just what would make sense to me.
the clubhead overtakes the shaft at impact, no matter the flex (it's physics)

you may have seen "that video" showing a pro golfer who shall remain nameless, with an extremely bowed forward shaft (it's just a rolling shutter effect)

to explain a little without going into scientific paper territory:

the more the shaft deflects forward (which they all do), the more hook-bias and loft is presented to the ball at impact (due to closure rate and dynamic loft increases)

Last edited:
I have both the 3 and 5h Apex for almost a year and I am finally content with the hybrids in my bag. They are truly iron replacements and with the smaller clubhead, are very forgiving.

Back