Epic "stock" shafts: Fujikura Pro Green 62 vs T800 HZRDUS

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure there is lots of general talk about these shafts in the Epic thread or the HZRDUS thread but I wanted to ask specifically about these 2 and what people's experience was with them individually. I was fit into the Fujikura Pro Green 62 in R because of my negative AoA. The HZRDUS actually gave me more ball speed and distance but spun 800 RPM higher due to that. Now that I've been working on leveling out my AoA I'm planning on trying the HZRDUS again to see if the distance and ball speed gains are still there with less spin. i'm in the upper 80's in swing speed so I'm trying to maximize distance as much as possible.

Anyone with similar experiences or thoughts between these 2 shafts?

While I haven't tried the Fuji to compare both shafts are made for Callaway and will have higher torque than real deal offerings. I'm not saying that is a bad thing just pointing it out as stock shafts are watered down a bit to fit the masses better.

I had good results with the fujikura pro green, but a little heavier. The t800 was also pretty good. A very solid stock shaft.

I demo'd both EPIC models with both shafts and game a sister shaft - Fujikura Pro - in my current driver. I prefer the T800 based on the ever subjective feel thing and that I got a few more MPH's on my SS with it.

I demo'd both EPIC models with both shafts and game a sister shaft - Fujikura Pro - in my current driver. I prefer the T800 based on the ever subjective feel thing and that I got a few more MPH's on my SS with it.

Yeah. My experience is similar with the Fujikura. The feel seems a bit firmer due to the higher kick point. I don't seem to feel it flex that much with my swing. It is performing well but I'm interested in how the T800 will feel now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny this thread pops up. I been swinging the epic lately with different shafts on a number of occasions. Today I had a fitting at PGA superstore with the epic where we compared the shafts ....rougue 65, the t800 55, the fuji pro62,I forget the other one and also a diamana blue s60 as well. All were stiff. I had lately liked the t800 feel in my recent club swingings as I vsisted stores this past couple weeks a few times. But today at the fitting it was the Fuji pro62 that did feel better to me and as for the numbers gave me the best numbers. .

Spent a good amount of time (quite a while in fact) with a good knowledgeable guy who was really very helpful, patient and willing to work with a genuine interest to help. Was a good experience with this person. Anyway, among all those shafts mentioned (and without getting into any aftermarket added price shafts) and with very many swings with each and the fuji62 is the one for me with that epic driver and I was happy with the feel.

The T800 and the Fuji 62 were both hit in two different sections in this fitting. I started with them at about 10 swings each and also finished with each again and again about 10 swings each. The T800 is of course lighter as you know and probably feel. The T800 is also a higher torque and the F62 lower and does imo feel stiffer or boardier but in no way too much. They are fwiw both midkiick and fwiw I had higher rpm with the t800 but also had more dispersion. My ball speed was similar at 150 vs 149.4 and my ss is 103ish. I cannot (due to hitting so may clubs remember all the numbers from everything. But it was concluded for me the F62 is the shaft best for me. At least when compared to the T800 and the others I tried. But that's just me and of course Im not you ..lol
we are different ss and also probably different tempos, etc. Really why not go and try to hit them somewhwre again and compare them again. Good luck

Last edited:
Yeah. My experience is similar with the Fujikura. The feel seems a bit firmer due to the higher kick point. I don't seem to feel it flex that much with my swing. It is performing well but I'm interested in how the T800 will feel now.

Both have mid kick although what that means exactly from one brand to the next I just don't know for sure.
The F62 is lower torque and may be why you don't feel it flex as much.

They probably aren't that much different on the kick point but Callaway does seem to have some conflicting info about the Fuji 62. Their catalog for custom shafts lists the 62 as a mid/high kick point while their general specs page for the Epic shows it as a mid.

But you are probably right on the torque. The t800 should probably feel sightly softer based on the torque but there may not be much difference since Callaway doesn't release the specific torque numbers.

So I got to hit both shafts outdoors today after I got my T800. Conditions were cloudy and low 70's with a slight inward breeze.

I saw no noticeable difference with accuracy of either shaft. I did see a higher ball flight with the t800. I loft my driver down from the 11* I had it set at and back to 10*. Off center shots performed relatively the same but it did appear that the t800 did give me another 5 plus yards in well stuck hits. It looks like I'll be sticking with the t800 for the time being and I'll see how it performs on a course with real balls.

They probably aren't that much different on the kick point but Callaway does seem to have some conflicting info about the Fuji 62. Their catalog for custom shafts lists the 62 as a mid/high kick point while their general specs page for the Epic shows it as a mid.

But you are probably right on the torque. The t800 should probably feel sightly softer based on the torque but there may not be much difference since Callaway doesn't release the specific torque numbers.

Interesting. And on the Fuji website they have the 62 listed at mid/high launch and the torque at 4.3 (which is not low) but probably mid/high.
But the that's the shaft itself and at 46 inches. Now trim and place the head on to make the driver a 45.5 inch total. I must assume the trimming changes those numbers. Looks like that process brings the launch down from mid/high to mid, and the torque down from mid to low/mid. Of course this all speculation on my part as though I know what im talking about..lol

But fwiw and whatever the reasons the 62 definitely feels a boarder shaft than the T800 and also heavier of course. Not quite as boardy as other epic shafts but certainly boardier than the T800

Interesting. And on the Fuji website they have the 62 listed at mid/high launch and the torque at 4.3 (which is not low) but probably mid/high.
But the that's the shaft itself and at 46 inches. Now trim and place the head on to make the driver a 45.5 inch total. I must assume the trimming changes those numbers. Looks like that process brings the launch down from mid/high to mid, and the torque down from mid to low/mid. Of course this all speculation on my part as though I know what im talking about..lol

But fwiw and whatever the reasons the 62 definitely feels a boarder shaft than the T800 and also heavier of course. Not quite as boardy as other epic shafts but certainly boardier than the T800

Well, they do say the Fuji 62 is a low spin shaft, which is why I was fitted into it to begin with. Now that I've leveled out my driver swing, I think it is too low spin for me. I was getting 2000 spin numbers in my original fitting versus 2800 with the t800 with a downward descent angle. I would be interested in getting back on a trackman with both of them with a more level swing. I can only assume the t800 numbers have gone down a few hundred rpm to probably a more ideal level for someone in the upper 80's swing speed.

I put the 65g T800 up against the progreen 72g, and came away impressed with both. I found that the T800 launched a little higher by comparison, but I loved the feel of that shaft. The progreen was steady, and I believe I would have went with that shaft in the epic 10.5 had I not gotten a shoulder tap.

Sidebar: there was something extremely fun about throwing the T800 in an Epic SZ with the weight forward... well struck shots were farther than any other combo that I tried. However, I knew that would be unsustainable on the course.

I put the 65g T800 up against the progreen 72g, and came away impressed with both. I found that the T800 launched a little higher by comparison, but I loved the feel of that shaft. The progreen was steady, and I believe I would have went with that shaft in the epic 10.5 had I not gotten a shoulder tap.

Sidebar: there was something extremely fun about throwing the T800 in an Epic SZ with the weight forward... well struck shots were farther than any other combo that I tried. However, I knew that would be unsustainable on the course.

Yeah, after I was reading up on launch and spin comparisons for my current speed, I found the higher launch was more likely the reason for the extra distance when it comes down to it. Leveling out my swing seems to put these shafts in relatively the same area spin wise but I was getting the extra carry from the extra height without it ballooning on me. I also am probably getting better ball speed as well if it ties back to my original fitting. The t800 actually gave me 6 more mph in ball speed that day.

Well, they do say the Fuji 62 is a low spin shaft, which is why I was fitted into it to begin with. Now that I've leveled out my driver swing, I think it is too low spin for me. I was getting 2000 spin numbers in my original fitting versus 2800 with the t800 with a downward descent angle. I would be interested in getting back on a trackman with both of them with a more level swing. I can only assume the t800 numbers have gone down a few hundred rpm to probably a more ideal level for someone in the upper 80's swing speed.

Yeah, after I was reading up on launch and spin comparisons for my current speed, I found the higher launch was more likely the reason for the extra distance when it comes down to it. Leveling out my swing seems to put these shafts in relatively the same area spin wise but I was getting the extra carry from the extra height without it ballooning on me. I also am probably getting better ball speed as well if it ties back to my original fitting. The t800 actually gave me 6 more mph in ball speed that day.

6mph increase is imo very substantial gain and if there is not much sacrificing of other results that's hard to ignore. I would think with your sswing speed and also lower aoa the extra spin would be very helpful to you. No?

not only during my fitting byt also during my casual self experimenting on sims I just couldn't find much use nor special good feel with the SZ. I also like the idea of the slide weight of the regular epic to assist us (if needed) to compensate for any slight swing flaw or desire one way or the other. Coming from a T.910 D3 I thought id prefer the SZ epic but just wasn't the case. Putting the heavier weight forward just makes the club feel that one needs to be more precise and putting back...while feeling more comfy imo offered no real gain (not enough to be too noticeable) to me in any department vs the regular epic even on well hit shots of which there were somewhat less of.

Im also coming from an adilia rip60 on my T.910 which is very boardy and a low torque only around 2-3 but something I am use to swinging and so the Fuj62 (while not as boardy as that) seems to be more in my comfort zone vs the t800. That all said I did not ever try the T800 in a 65g version.

But in the end, results numbers and feel are what they are. The F62 just worked best for me. We are all different of course. I actually liked the feel of the T800 at first vs the other shafts but in the end realized wasn't really hitting it any better and also that was only till I started hitting the F62 a bit more seriously during my fit which seems to be the one (for me) resulting in the best average results overall.

Last edited:
I would think the good work you are doing on your AoA could indeed modify which shaft fits you best now. I've been testing the Epics with various shafts (all the stock options plus several others) for the past several weeks. I do all my testing outdoors so I have a pretty good handle on the two shafts you are looking at as they relate to my own swing; (low/mid 90s, +3ish AoA, primary miss low on face, usually fighting a hook).

I've tested the PX HZRDUS T800 in R and S flex at both 55 grams and 65 grams, and the Fuji Pro Green 62 in R and S flex. I'm seeing similar results. I get a little more club speed, ball speed, and height with the HZRDUS T800. In fact the T800 flies higher than all but two shafts I've been testing in Epic, the stock Diamana and the Speeder 565 from the XR16. The T800 also feels more responsive, which I prefer. The one place the T800 lets me down is it's more prone to the occasional HUGE hook. I still hook or draw both of them, predominantly, and hit similar % of fairways too, but the worst hooks with the Fuji just aren't as massive as the ones I can generate with T800. FWIW I've been trying hard to make the T800 work for me. The gains in Club/ball speed, distance, and preferred feel are worth it to me. If I ever picked up 6 mph ball speed, like you, I'd order today. I only average about 2-3 mph ball speed gained .

I would think the good work you are doing on your AoA could indeed modify which shaft fits you best now. I've been testing the Epics with various shafts (all the stock options plus several others) for the past several weeks. I do all my testing outdoors so I have a pretty good handle on the two shafts you are looking at as they relate to my own swing; (low/mid 90s, +3ish AoA, primary miss low on face, usually fighting a hook).

I've tested the PX HZRDUS T800 in R and S flex at both 55 grams and 65 grams, and the Fuji Pro Green 62 in R and S flex. I'm seeing similar results. I get a little more club speed, ball speed, and height with the HZRDUS T800. In fact the T800 flies higher than all but two shafts I've been testing in Epic, the stock Diamana and the Speeder 565 from the XR16. The T800 also feels more responsive, which I prefer. The one place the T800 lets me down is it's more prone to the occasional HUGE hook. I still hook or draw both of them, predominantly, and hit similar % of fairways too, but the worst hooks with the Fuji just aren't as massive as the ones I can generate with T800. FWIW I've been trying hard to make the T800 work for me. The gains in Club/ball speed, distance, and preferred feel are worth it to me. If I ever picked up 6 mph ball speed, like you, I'd order today. I only average about 2-3 mph ball speed gained .

Well in my defense, I'm not the best ball striker so there could have been some less than ideal hits in my fitting that impact the ball speed numbers a little bit but the difference is still enough to warrant at least a few mph gained. I also tested the recoil shaft from the Fusion driver and it also gave me more ball speed than the Fuji but not as much as the t800. I did generally like the feel and performance on the t800 enough that I have gone ahead and ordered the 65g t800 for my 3w and Heavenwood too.

My next real test will be to try and compare the Epic with the t800 to the Srixon Z565 I have. The Srixon has a stiff shaft in it which isn't performing for me as well as the Epic but I love the feel an forgiveness of the 565 head. I'm working on trying to obtain a R shaft to demo against the Epic and see how they perform head to head.

Well in my defense, I'm not the best ball striker so there could have been some less than ideal hits in my fitting that impact the ball speed numbers a little bit but the difference is still enough to warrant at least a few mph gained. I also tested the recoil shaft from the Fusion driver and it also gave me more ball speed than the Fuji but not as much as the t800. I did generally like the feel and performance on the t800 enough that I have gone ahead and ordered the 65g t800 for my 3w and Heavenwood too.

My next real test will be to try and compare the Epic with the t800 to the Srixon Z565 I have. The Srixon has a stiff shaft in it which isn't performing for me as well as the Epic but I love the feel an forgiveness of the 565 head. I'm working on trying to obtain a R shaft to demo against the Epic and see how they perform head to head.

You and me both on the mishits, haha. I agree on that Recoil too, I got my highest average club heads speeds with that one, a real ego booster. Even when I went animal style on the Epic (2 sliding weights) I swung that Recoil the fastest.

curious what your ss is and is the t800 spinning more? Of course more spin in genral means more hooking and slicing too. But if a shot is errant iyts errant anyway imo. Its imo more about the less than good ones , how many good ones and and where they end up than it is about the errant ones. But again I wonder if your ss is more in line with mine or gmillers. Wodering if ss and/ just different tempos is what our differences are as we are gaining more with the opposite shafts.
gmiller having same results as you but we (miler an I) have a difference in ss and so we know that part is different between us. Curious if your more my ss and if then maybe our swing types and tempos are creating our opposite results.

fwiw I am hitting the t800 farthest (next to the F62) and even comparable to it while not really exceeding it but the F62 is in addition also giving me better feel and overlall dispersion is better. Its just interstng imo to try to see why and how we differ in our results with same shafts mentioned.

curious what your ss is and is the t800 spinning more? Of course more spin in genral means more hooking and slicing too. But if a shot is errant iyts errant anyway imo. Its imo more about the less than good ones , how many good ones and and where they end up than it is about the errant ones. But again I wonder if your ss is more in line with mine or gmillers. Wodering if ss and/ just different tempos is what our differences are as we are gaining more with the opposite shafts.
gmiller having same results as you but we (miler an I) have a difference in ss and so we know that part is different between us. Curious if your more my ss and if then maybe our swing types and tempos are creating our opposite results.

fwiw I am hitting the t800 farthest (next to the F62) and even comparable to it while not really exceeding it but the F62 is in addition also giving me better feel and overlall dispersion is better. Its just interstng imo to try to see why and how we differ in our results with same shafts mentioned.

Not sure I completely grasp everything you are asking. But I'd guess all three of our swings have some similarities and some differences that might be best fitted by one of those shafts or the other. gmiller posted he swings in the high 80s and has leveled out what had been a negative AoA. I don't know if that means he is now level, positive, or just less negative? As posted above my low/mid 90s swing speed is pretty similar to gmiller. My attack angle (+3) might be? I don't know the particulars of your swing to know if I'm closer to you or to gmiller? I do know I personally get a little more club speed, ball speed, height, and carry yardage with the T800 vs the Fuji, it's not a huge amount, but significant enough that I'd like to learn to better control the T800 to take advantage of it. I can't measure spin, but eyeballing it I probably spin the T800 a little more too.

Various swing/setup flaws are the root of my own hooking problems. Unfortunately, I can hook anything at the worst possible time. I've hit enough shots with both these shafts to know some of my hooks with the T800 are downright 'Epic'. Big high hooks that just travel forever. I'll add that I'm not alone here. A THPer I play with often had the Epic/T800 combo for a bit, and while he murdered that thing, (and like me also plays a draw) some of the hooks he hit were a sight to see. One stands out, it prompted me to quip, 'just what are the rules when you hit it so crooked you're OB on another hole?' That ball sailed high over the trees separating two holes, completely across the fairway and rough of the other hole, landing OB right on that hole, At least 80 yards left of his line. He has since changed shafts in his Epic and didn't hit one abnormally large hook last time we played.

Last edited:
Not sure I completely grasp ......

without copying your whole post, thanks for the response. I was curious as to what the possible reasons the 2of you are liking one while the other agrees more with me. Was just trying to see similarities and difference between us and thought it interesting.

As for bad shots, in the end its most always of course us Indians while not so much our arrows of course. But imo its got to be about dispersion on the less than great hits and not so much the errant ones. Errant is errant imo. One of the shafts of the handful I tried (Iforget which one but I think was rougue) was the stiffest and very boardy feeling shaft that actually had the best dispersion rate in my testing but not by anything substantial yet the distance lost was too much vs the others and so it outweighed that slight increase in better dispersion rate.

I was almost puling the trigger on the epic with the t800 after swinging very many shots with shafts on my own. But then decided for the fitting and having some help and more extensive testing is how I ended up in the F62. Yet I wasn't too far off because in that fitting the T800 was the runner up at least among the shafts we tested. Nothing much noticeable as for distance between the two but better dispersion with the 62. I just seemed to be a tad more sloppy with the t800. Something I think your indicating as well yet want to straighten out.

Back