Looking for a soft, spiny ball for 88 ss

weten2

Reaction score
Handicap
Presently playing the Duo and Supersoft balls. I like the feel and off the tee performance, however now playing hard sloping greens and need better bite on approach shots. I have an 88 driver ss and looking for a soft, higher spin (on approach shots) ball recommendation.

I agree... q star tour.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Each of these would work out extremely well.

Chrome Soft
Snell MTB
Q-Star Tour
Bridgestone B330 RX

Chrome Soft
Snell MTB
Q-Star Tour
Bridgestone B330 RX

Agree with this list. I think I'm right around that SS and so far really liking the MTB the most, but all are very good balls.

I agree with the others on the QStar Tour at that swing speed, but I'll also admit that with my low 90's driver swing, I didn't see very much spin around the greens with that ball. You may have better luck. It's definitely a great feeling ball, and has good flight off of driver and irons.

Chrome Soft
Q star tour
DuoUrethane
B'stone B330rx

That is where I would start. Also might consider the TM TP5.

I need to give the Duo U a try, the guy at Eddie Watts keeps raving about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. This gives me a nice short list to try.
At my club we have real firm greens with several sloping towards the rear making it almost impossible to have a ball that lands on the front of the green and not roll off the back. Most players land short of the green and hope for a lucky bounce and roll. In attempt to hold these greens I've started looking for a high spin ball that works for my swing speed.

I'd just add vice pro soft to your test list

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree with the others on the QStar Tour at that swing speed, but I'll also admit that with my low 90's driver swing, I didn't see very much spin around the greens with that ball. You may have better luck. It's definitely a great feeling ball, and has good flight off of driver and irons.

Are you talking 3/4+ swings, or just around the green? If it's chips/pitches, it's probably a technique issue more than anything - speed differences aren't great there. I know, because I've got the same problem around the greens - I just don't generate a ton of spin greenside unless I'm playing off of tight lies.

Are you talking 3/4+ swings, or just around the green? If it's chips/pitches, it's probably a technique issue more than anything - speed differences aren't great there. I know, because I've got the same problem around the greens - I just don't generate a ton of spin greenside unless I'm playing off of tight lies.

Both. I'm kind of at that point where I desperately want more spin around the greens, especially on approach shots, but I honestly don't see much difference between the Q Star Tour and a Duo or SoftFli. Also, playing old wedges probably doesn't help either.

In either case, the QST flew straight and well for me in cold wet conditions so I'm sure the more I use it, the more I'll like it.

Q Star Tour
B330RX
Chromesoft

Volvik Vibe is another good Urethane ball for slower swings.

Both. I'm kind of at that point where I desperately want more spin around the greens, especially on approach shots, but I honestly don't see much difference between the Q Star Tour and a Duo or SoftFli. Also, playing old wedges probably doesn't help either.

In either case, the QST flew straight and well for me in cold wet conditions so I'm sure the more I use it, the more I'll like it.

That is because despite what some think, on full swings, the cover is not solely responsible for the spin and in fact might not even be the biggest contributor.

That is because despite what some think, on full swings, the cover is not solely responsible for the spin and in fact might not even be the biggest contributor.

you know, thp should post some content about that to help people understand how it works. oh wait...

Chrome Soft
Snell MTB
Q-Star Tour
Bridgestone B330 RX

Have never played the Snell MTB, but I would trust JB as the other 3 are the exact ones I would recommend.

Presently playing the Duo and Supersoft balls. I like the feel and off the tee performance, however now playing hard sloping greens and need better bite on approach shots. I have an 88 driver ss and looking for a soft, higher spin (on approach shots) ball recommendation.
Duo Spin or Duo U, or Srixon Q Star Tour.

B330-RXS should spin a little more than the B330-RX.

Hmm... I don't think this ones been mentioned but Q Star Tour :D

I find myself to be a low ball spin player, in my irons, I rarely got a ball to check up before I started playing the QST. I was amazed at how much spin I got on that ball.

I just got back playing in my pot group using a ProV1. I didn't score well (not the fault of the ball) however it seem like distance and approach shot spin (full swing) were good. My question is at my ss do you think the Chrome Soft or the others would stop as good or better than the ProV1?

I just got back playing in my pot group using a ProV1. I didn't score well (not the fault of the ball) however it seem like distance and approach shot spin (full swing) were good. My question is at my ss do you think the Chrome Soft or the others would stop as good or better than the ProV1?

Better? Tough to say. Similar? Definitely.
You will also get less spin off the tee in theory by using a golf ball with less compression at your swing speed.

Sorry not wanting to high jack a thread but my SS is about 96, would the Chromesoft and B330RX being suitable if I am looking for a ball similar characteristics?

Sorry not wanting to high jack a thread but my SS is about 96, would the Chromesoft and B330RX being suitable if I am looking for a ball similar characteristics?

It should be as well as the others listed in the thread.

Back