Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Plan B was a table saw but would have been kinda pricey

Last edited:
That's an awesome video.

Hah! See, I completely forgot about that. Damn hot dog. :bulgy-eyes:
Yeah all 4 of us messed up on that one and CJ hit such an amazing shot into the green. Good thing it was practice and not in competition so no real butt hurt lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Awesome video Cap. It was cool that you spared no expense & flew Patrick & CJ in to be extras in the video.

Well done 441! Hahahaha

Hahaha that was awesome.

That was awesome.

~Rock

So, I was finally able to compose myself despite all of the emotions from the event to put together a short video recap. Enjoy

bump for the morning crowd :)

That was awesome Mike!

haha, that was great, even if we were on the receiving end...

Awesome video Cap. It was cool that you spared no expense & flew Patrick & CJ in to be extras in the video.

Wow thanks dad

I feel like that video might be an accurate representation of Team Napoleon vs. Team Short Grass on 18 at True Blue for four ball.

:angry:

:angel:

Trash talking even after the event is over! Love it. Somehow reminded me of the Mutombo commercials. Not in my house!

Great pictures you guys have posted up the last week or so. Thanks for doing that. Some of you have some great talent and eye!

Trash talking even after the event is over! Love it. Somehow reminded me of the Mutombo commercials. Not in my house!

Great pictures you guys have posted up the last week or so. Thanks for doing that. Some of you have some great talent and eye!
Mutumbo was most definitely the inspiration

So, hey... Rambler is back, trying to finish-up his recaps. How timely, I know...

Friday: Equipment Day

So, everyone was excited and it didn't take a lot of effort to get guys up-and-around. However, CJ took that to a whole different level. He was up at the crack-of-dawn, ready to roll, and making posts. Crazy freaking dude!

I was mostly recovered from the hot dog incident, after a good bit of hydration and a decent sleep on Thursday night. Surely I wouldn't hear about that for the rest of the weekend, right? Yeah, right.

It's really hard to describe the feeling when you're walking down the steps at True Blue, and you can start to see a glimpse of 16 bags all lined-up. I was probably like everyone else, wanting to tear into the ridiculous swag I was fortunate to get from Wilson Staff, KBS, and Lamkin. But first, some #THPLegacy intro from JB, and a big thanks to Canadan for coming down and helping with all the setup. Then introductions for Corey (Bridgestone) and Duffy (Wilson Staff). Thank goodness Duffy was there - he was going to set me straight on a shaft concern a bit later. JB made it really, really clear that the event would not have happened without the involvement of the sponsors, so while I was thrilled to be there with my team and #TeamTradition, playing in a competition that would forge some new friendships, I was all-in on making it about the equipment, and, to be honest, the sponsors made it dang easy to do so.

OK, so now the bag perusing starts... Wilson Nexus stand bag with a crazy-good Legacy logo. 3 dozen balls from Wilson Staff, all with a matching Legacy logo (1 dozen each of the Duo, Duo Spin, and FG Tour). A couple of W/S gloves. And, 3 great looking custom W/S hats with the THP logo on one side, the Legacy logo on the other, and Wilson staff running across the front. From the bottom of the bag on up... Infinite North Side putter, 3 Tour TC wedges with custom white KBS wedge shafts (again, a #THPLegacy relief in the white finish - looks dead sexy); 50 and 54 in Traditional Grind, and a 58 in Tour Grind. Irons were C100 5i-GW with KBS C-Taper Lite shafts. D200 3H (19 deg) with Kuro Kage Black shaft. D200 3 wood and driver, both with Aldila Tour Blue shafts. I did have some concern about the Tour Blue shafts... JB let us know that W/S players who chose Tour Green stiff had the Tour Blue stiff substituted. I "thought" the Tour Green was a better match for me, especially in driver, so that was on my mind. Mike (mikedean441) was going to make sure I got a little time with Duffy to check out the driver setup.

I took a little more time going through my bag and new equipment. I don't know why, maybe I was just taking time to enjoy the experience - for all I know, this could be it; a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It really was like being a kid on Christmas morning. Although, removing plastic from clubs and golf bag is a little more annoying than tearing-off wrapping paper, but you get the idea. OK, Mike is trying to get me over to the Flightscope, so time to start warming-up and hitting some balls with the new clubs. I hit a good number of shots, but unlikely it was as many as some of the other guys. Could tell, pretty quickly, that the wedges (both the TCs and C100 PW/GW) were going to be clubs I enjoyed a lot.

Time for me to get schooled by Duffy. I have the D200, with Tour Blue stiff, 9 deg head, set to 9 deg. Starting off hitting it OK, but pulling left. Received a little aim correction to make sure Flightscope could capture numbers accurately. Then, hit several balls that were pretty straight, with a good launch height, and decently high ball flight. Mike mentioned it in a prior post, but basically Duffy said don't change anything. I really didn't hear, or care to hear, the distances, but I did hear the spin numbers were around 2400. That, along with the ball flight I was seeing convinced me, without any tinkering. Thank you, JB, Cap, and Duffy. I'm more than willing to say my original concerns about the shaft differences were completely wrong.

A few more full swings, then it was off to the putting green to try and get some feel with the North Side. I really like the looks, as I'm more of a mallet guy, anyway. Honestly, for what the Infinite series goes for at retail, it's a really solid product. Milled face, a nice matte black finish, and some counter-balancing work well for this line. I also like the extra alignment lines, as I tend to miss on my alignment, and these should help with that.

Range time is done, and we head-up to grab a quick lunch. No hot dog for me, today, thank you. Lots of equipment chatter at lunch. Post-lunch practice round was going to be the back nine on True blue. True Blue is really a great course for something like this, because you pretty much have an opportunity to use every single club in the bag; pretty important as you try to get accustomed to new sticks. I was playing with #TeamHeritage W/S guys: Tom (shakey), Dan/Rock (McRock), and Curtis (ArmyGolf). Tom starts off, hitting the D200 solid, but pulls it left. Rock, Curtis, and I hit good, solid drives. Tom takes another swing, and sure enough, is right there with the rest of us, in good position. Not going to lie, that made me really confident in hitting my driver moving forward through the weekend.

I hit some good shots thru most of the practice holes, though I did struggle a bit with the 3 wood and 3 hybrid. Also, the team putting woes were on display during the practice holes as well. I think we picked good lines, but you could see that distance control was a bit of an issue.
Practice round ends, time to get cleaned-up and head back for the “opening” #THPLegacy dinner, where Satuday pairings were to be announced. Food was really good, and camaraderie amongst the teams was growing, and it was fun to hear the pairings announcements and who would be facing-off on Saturday. The GnR pairing would be taking on Martsy/golf4life in the morning best ball. In the alternate shot comp, on Saturday afternoon, GnR versus Erky/jhoefer99. Would be my first time playing a with Martsy, golf4life, and Erky.

#TeamHeritage would close-out the evening in 9i, talking about Saturday matches, Mike giving marching orders. Oh, and a few putting contests, one of which included Old Hickory. OK, so maybe having a putting contest on that carpet wasn’t the best thing to do for putting practice, but it was fun. Time to get to bed and be ready to go early on Saturday morning.

Last edited:
The putting contests seemed like such a good idea though

That damn carpet putting cost me $6. I blame the hickory.

I think the late night putting contest was the best putting I did all weekend.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back