What chipping technique do you use?

Open stance.
Very low bounce 58º wedge.
Shorter than intuitive backswing so I won't decelerate. I swing pretty hard.
In opposition to all conventional wisdom, I like the ball in the air as long and as close to the hole as possible. There are no bumps and spike marks in the air.
For my whole life, people have told me to get the ball rolling. I find it more natural to lob than chip, however.

I use the method in James Sieckmann book.

I never heard of him, just watched some of his videos and it's actually how I chip and very similar philosophy. Thanks for the heads up, I have a new chipping coach now!

I'm glad you have found a method that works for you. It just shows that there is no one way to get the job done.

The traditional way to chip is with an open stance to allow the arms to swing. I use this 90% of the time. I will square up when the shot calls for it.

I'm glad you have found a method that works for you. It just shows that there is no one way to get the job done.

The traditional way to chip is with an open stance to allow the arms to swing. I use this 90% of the time. I will square up when the shot calls for it.

Whats a scenario where you would square up? Also how do you prevent yourself from pulling the chip when feet/hips are square? I have a tendency to pull when setup square.

I take some sort of swipe at the ball and pray I don't chunk/skull it.

jk I usually use my AW if it's going to be a bumper, and I just adjust my backswing according to how far it is, feet slightly open. If I need to check it a bit more, or if it's in fluffy rough, I'll use my 54W grind.

I use a slightly open stance and a putting stroke…with whatever club ddec tells me to hit.

I use a slightly open stance and a putting stroke…with whatever club ddec tells me to hit.

If I recall you were the one telling us to chip with mid irons last time we played.

Square stance and hit it like a putt. Club selection depends upon how much I need to carry the ball. Ive read a lot about having body rotation in chipping and its an interesting concept but Im not a fan of putting body rotation in. The fewer moving parts in a swing, the better and chipping isnt a shot where you need the power you get from body rotation.

Open stance, feet close together, ball back, weight forward, choke down, wrists in a "y" position. For pitching pretty much the same though I don't choke down as much and my wrists are in a "v" position.

I don't think there's one "perfect" way, and it depends on the shot required and more importantly what the golfer is most comfortable executing on a repeated basis, under pressure. For me, that's usually the bump and run with slightly open stance. Little or no wrist action to prevent getting handsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never heard of him, just watched some of his videos and it's actually how I chip and very similar philosophy. Thanks for the heads up, I have a new chipping coach now!
The book is a great read.

Smart to get a lesson. Glad this method is working for you.

Old school.
Narrow stance and open, ball back in my stance (hands ahead).

This video from Furyk made a dramatic improvement in both my, and my best friends scores when we incorporated it.

I started trying other things, and then forgot the specifics. I could never find the video again, until just now.

Its an excellent, and easy approach to chipping.
I can't find the original video, but this is the same thing, with one exception: he doesn't get into how to choose the proper club.

1:1 is SW
2:1 is PW
3:1 is 9i
4:1 is 8i
etc

Its a putting stroke.
Land the ball 2-3 feet onto the green.

The only real consistent things in my chipping are an open stance and don't ever flip the wrists/hands at the ball. Also, always accelerate through the shot. Club choice, ball position and how far I fly the ball will always be determined by the shot needed and lie. To limit yourself to one or two clubs is crazy to me. I'll use anything from 3 wood to 64* wedge.

Back