Cobra King Utility Iron - THP Review

I'm confused, every MyFly8 club has a 3* loft range. And this one has a sticker that says 19-22. Yet you guys are saying 18-22, and I can see the 18* setting on the adapter

Ah, I'm seeing on other sites it is actually 18-21. I wonder why that sticker says 19-22...

They are rounding on the sticker. From the first post: Loft range: 18o, 18.5o, 18.5 o draw, 19.5o, 19.5o draw, 21.5 o, 21.5 o draw and 22 o.

Looking forward to your thoughts Dan.
At #2 might be a nice driving iron in a tight fairway.

I knew I forgot to look for these when I was at the store the other day. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Are these the next new club to add to the bag? It seems they are becoming more and more popular.

I think it's a niche market. I thing it will be for golfers who want something bigger, more forgiving club instead of an iron but don't want to play a hybrid.

I really like the looks of the club, I think they did a great job with the cog and kept things clean. I'll be interested in hearing how it performs in various situations; as a bit on the slower side when it comes to swing speed, for someone like me it'd make a great tee club but I don't know how much more than that given the low loft.

Looking forward to yourr thoughts on this one Dan, especially with that shaft in there. I'm pretty happy with my TEE, but the adjustable aspect is intriguing.

the adjustability is seamless in its incorporated aesthetics, so kudos for that.

but it looks like an sgi iron head in those pics with its overall size. i would think something like this is geared toward a better player, but better players don't typically like these kinds of top lines.

It's an interesting question, but considering it lofts where it does, a typical 'low' capper could very well be gaming a hybrid in the same slot. I think when you start to consider the variables at that loft, you open the door to something that promotes solid launch and forgiveness.

I definitely want to try this one! Looking forward to your findings.

Great pics on the preview Dan. Same questions that many others have with adjustability and it's effects.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this Dan.

I've got a couple rounds in with the Cobra King UT and am really trying to wait until the warmer temps this weekend to give a robust opinion in total, but I did see some really high end results on my quality strikes over the last two rounds. There were a couple strikes that really stung the hands and felt dead, but it was also about 39* and that's inevitable at that temp.

The sound in total is very much in line with 2016 Cobra and I quite like that. There is nothing manufactured, and is quite subtle in total compared to many other offerings, but the audible changes between contact quality provide clear representations of how well the ball was struck.

I spent a bit of time trying to work the ball on the range before my Sunday round, and didn't have a ton of trouble moving the ball left and right, but it seemed like there was a fair bit of distance punishment when the ball moves away from center towards the heel or toe. There were two very strong shots that came out of the weekend, including a 221 yard shot out of the rough with the head set to 21 degrees that came out low/mid and finished right near the hole, and then a strike off the tee that offered more of a mid/high launch with a tight draw that felt absolutely flushed, and carried quite a ways.

I have yet to get on the range with the head being changed in loft/adapter settings, but that'll be forthcoming this weekend as it really intrigues me. I can say with confidence that the profile on the hosel is even remotely notable despite having other UTs in the bag. They really did a nice job.

I've got a couple rounds in with the Cobra King UT and am really trying to wait until the warmer temps this weekend to give a robust opinion in total, but I did see some really high end results on my quality strikes over the last two rounds. There were a couple strikes that really stung the hands and felt dead, but it was also about 39* and that's inevitable at that temp.

The sound in total is very much in line with 2016 Cobra and I quite like that. There is nothing manufactured, and is quite subtle in total compared to many other offerings, but the audible changes between contact quality provide clear representations of how well the ball was struck.

I spent a bit of time trying to work the ball on the range before my Sunday round, and didn't have a ton of trouble moving the ball left and right, but it seemed like there was a fair bit of distance punishment when the ball moves away from center towards the heel or toe. There were two very strong shots that came out of the weekend, including a 221 yard shot out of the rough with the head set to 21 degrees that came out low/mid and finished right near the hole, and then a strike off the tee that offered more of a mid/high launch with a tight draw that felt absolutely flushed, and carried quite a ways.

I have yet to get on the range with the head being changed in loft/adapter settings, but that'll be forthcoming this weekend as it really intrigues me. I can say with confidence that the profile on the hosel is even remotely notable despite having other UTs in the bag. They really did a nice job.

Which shaft are you testing this with? This sounds perfect for me, I do not like hybrids, love utility irons. Really looking forward to trying this. Thanks for the review.

Which shaft are you testing this with? This sounds perfect for me, I do not like hybrids, love utility irons. Really looking forward to trying this. Thanks for the review.

The shaft that came in the UT is the Aldila Rogue 85. It's really quite impressive. I had anticipated a higher launch with a fair bit of spin but I'm just not having that issue at all.

At 85 grams, it's a very strong offering.

A quick update on this one;

I've really enjoyed having the UT in the bag in the 21* setting. Not entirely sure whether it's the tiniest bit draw biased or it's just my typical swing introducing a left turn, but either way, I've have an exceptionally easy time putting it into the bag and having success with it.

At 21* it's right in that 3/4 iron range for me in terms of distance, but the flighting and slightly firmer conditions have allowed me to use it off numerous tee boxes to get a big bounce and lumber down the fairway for extra yardage. I find my best results come with a more shallow approach into the ball, as the wider sole really bounces hard off firmer turf to avoid digging -- That usually is a reflection of hitting a touch behind the ball, and probably still gets me a good 75% or more of my expected distance without any ugly fatting of the ball.

I had mentioned the sound being a bit more muted than I am used to, but I think a large part of that was the colder temps played in last weekend. With reasonable temperatures (and I am assuming more malleable) the resulting feedback is still a bit more neutral in tone (not as sharp as a wood or a bladed iron, but also not dead/muted like some offerings. The audible response is still very understandable when trying to learn about shot quality.

The workability factor is there, but I didn't see a ton of value in hitting anything that wasn't typical shot shape design. This club is a 200 yard + setup for me, making very little reason to bend, but I know some folks are into that and will find there to be an opportunity to move the ball if needed.

For the adapter, it's an interesting design. I switched between the 18-21 degree settings and saw a marginal change, but nothing (flight wise) that was outlandishly different. Similar to that, the 18.5 vs 18.5D settings were subtle changes at most, which i think is a very good thing.

I'm also really impressed with the shaft pairing. I expected to genuinely hate the 85g graphite rogue and I just don't, at all. It's there with me all the way through the swing, and despite being about 25g lighter than a traditional iron shaft weight, it's easy to play well. That shouldn't surprise me considering I play an 85g shaft in my hybrid.

Dan- I've enjoyed reading your thoughts so far. How often do you think you would adjust this one? Is it a find what you like and keep it there, or change it up depending on what you want?

Dan- I've enjoyed reading your thoughts so far. How often do you think you would adjust this one? Is it a find what you like and keep it there, or change it up depending on what you want?

With marginal confidence, probably never. The only situation where I would adjust would be if I decided I didn't want to game a hybrid for a round, and run it at 18* with my other 21* UT in the bag behind it.

I think what it would do, which is something that bothers me a bit about the loft selections of many of the UTs out there, is give golfers a chance to set their ideal lofts for play. I've got a set of UTs here that are 20 and 23, which are about as useless of lofts as it gets for me.... but if I had the ability to adjust them to 21 and 24, I'd have a much better bridge between my 6 iron and my hybrid.

The reality is, I'm not big on change for my gamer bag, and I like to commit to what is working. There are lots of people out there who I think will love tinkering with the head on these UTs.

The shaft that came in the UT is the Aldila Rogue 85. It's really quite impressive. I had anticipated a higher launch with a fair bit of spin but I'm just not having that issue at all.

At 85 grams, it's a very strong offering.

Thanks

This club sounds like a great add. I'm going to give this a look see this weekend. Good stuff Danny

Really intrigued by this club and how it would fit in my bag. Going to need to try it asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well done buddy. Sounds like a pretty versatile club.

Thanks for the write up Dan. I like the way this one looks and it's adjustability.

Great job Dan. I like utility irons and having the ability to buy one and adjust loft to fit the gap needs is a great idea.

Well done, Dan. I think the adjustability option is nice for the UT to be changed based on course or playing factors.

Back