Anyone seriously contemplate quitting golf (temporary or permanent) ?

When I get to the point where I want to quit I just buy a bunch of new equipment and apparel... Usually gets me right back into it ha-ha.

The best cure is a THP event, if you are lucky enough to gain entry to one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think about quitting several times a round. Then I pure a shot and realize how irrational I'm being.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with golf. It's getting better as I build consistency though.

I contemplated it when I was about 23 years old. I developed the full swing yips and it was devastating to me. To go from someone that shoots in the 70's to not being able to break 100 was just heartbreaking....and it was with every club but the putter. Over a span of 2+ years I played only 3 or 4 rounds and they were ugly. I just couldn't shake the nonsense. It was honestly the worst couple years of my life..... I still have these yips sneak in every once in a while...but thankfully it's nothing like it was. If it happened again I'm pretty sure my golfing career would be over.

I have had a few times where I didn't play due to time constraints or injury but I haven't ever thought about quitting the game outright.

I've temporarily suspended myself for about 3-4 weeks in the past. Sometimes its good to clear the mind of frustration and let the body heal.

I had given it serious consideration about 2 years ago. Ended up taking a break for about 2-3 months and it really did me some good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure this thread could be turned into a joke of some kind, but im looking for serious responses. Has anyone in their golf careers ever seriously contemplated quitting ? Was it due to bad play or just how hard this game is? Or possibly the lack of being able to play due to time constraints or family obligations ?

ive been playing for almost 35 years now, and during those years it has been either avid or casual. If I had my choice now I would play everyday if possible. However; I've had years where time was available and I decided to do other things the majority of the time. My worst seasons I at least played 5 to 10 times and best was 150 plus rounds. So for me, thoughts of quitting are due to the time it takes to play and wanting to play but just can't now. This is frustrating and many times I have an attitude of finding a hobby that requires less time. Unfortunately when most quit something they rarely come back. I'm just making the best of being a range golfer, but I also chip and putt simulating a round of golf without being able to play

Who else contemplates quitting, and why? Or if you did quit and came back how long were you gone ?

I've never considered quitting. I've had periods where different activities took precedence over golf for leisure time, but it's not like I planned it, just worked out that way. Golf has been there since the early 1970's, whether as my main hobby or from time to time in a secondary position. I've never contemplated quitting.

I started playing about 8 years ago. Around the 2 year mark, I started playing a pretty decent amount and got pretty good for my standards (routinely shooting mid-80s with a best round of 76, although that is an outlier). As time went on, money got tough and I just couldn't afford to play a round or even practice very often. This lead to me absolutely SUCKING when I actually did get to go, and well, for someone who usually shoots mid-80s, going back to shooting 110 is humiliating. It's amazing how fast it all comes undone when you don't golf that much. Couldn't find the fairway, so every hole just consisted of rescue shots. It was miserable. Why bother if it's not fun?

So I quit for a couple years. I just got back into it this month, really. My first session at the range, I topped the first 40-45 balls. Humiliating for sure, but the next time out I was back to normal. Bought a range membership and now I'm probably as good or close to as good as I've ever been.

For me, golf is either a primary thing or not a thing at all. If I can't afford to play or practice regularly, I won't play at all. My swing comes undone so quickly when I don't go often that I can't just pick up a club and play well.

I admit I gave the game up for 8 years, just came back to this lovely game last year. I indend on staying until I cannot play anymore, it is too much fun chasing a goal and enjoying nature. Upon coming back it was a real struggle to regain , tell myself the game I once had will take a long time to gain again. I am not quite there, but seen big improvments. Last year I was close to shooting 100 , this year I have shot as low as 81, a big improvement in my books. From course stratagy to leanring about equipement it all game together for me. This game can be mentally hard on you if you are not playing well, but hard work is needed in anything you want to achieve.

I've been playing over 30 years and I've certainly had a few times where I quit. Mostly it was due to body parts just breaking down, you get older and that stuff happens.

I've been playing over 30 years and I've certainly had a few times where I quit. Mostly it was due to body parts just breaking down, you get older and that stuff happens.

Remember the last time we played you were in a good amount of pain it seemed like. Hope that is a thing of the past and that you are doing better.

Never even thought about it, It's my favorite hobby and while I play alot of sports golf is tone of the few you can still play when you are old.
As long as I can, I will golf.

I've never contemplated quitting golf, but I know come March/ April I hope for more snow to prolong my snowboarding season.

I very seriously thought about it. I was struggling with my swing, had pain in my elbow and just wasn't enjoying playing at all. I stopped playing for a couple weeks, and a buddy talked me into going.

I had fun even though I didn't play well. I realized I need to change my mindset and just go have fun, but also realized I needed to get lessons.

Since the lessons my swing has improved (pain in the elbow went away as well), it is still not where I want it to be, but I am playing better and having fun when I am doing it, which really is the ultimate reason we play this crazy game.

Last edited:
Nope, I never considered quitting playing the game of golf. I have often thought about quitting work, but, work is what supplies the $$$ to play golf.
A nasty circle indeed....

I quit the game years ago, I was playing 150+ rounds a year and playing off a +1 handicap. Then I injured my foot and everything changed. I couldn't walk let alone stand so I decided to give the game up. Over 5 years later and multiple surgeries I was back to feeling good and picked the game up again. It hurt making the decision to give it up even though it was because of injury.

I've never really contemplated it until recently. Life has gotten really busy this year and doesn't allow me the time to put in the game I like, I don't think I'll ever quit playing but I have lost the desire.

I've been pondering taking a break. I'm realizing my game doesn't do what I want from it as a once a week venture, and I'm heading into a job with a very busy schedule. I guess I feel like taking a break as a conscious decision will feel better than always planning to play and it not happening.

I can't believe the great responses from everyone. It all comes down to playing golf, if you don't play regularly it just isn't fun anymore. The status of hobby now turns to just keeping in touch with the game. Also that thought now occurs if you can't play regularly why even worry about practicing. Which makes not playing even more saddening. It's called life I guess , but stinks going from avid down to less than casual. Thought I would be used to it now, but golf was a big part of my life that is pretty much non existent now. Thought buying golf items/ a golf training facility membership would make me feel like I'm in the game. But I hardly even use or have time for those items, so it was kinda a waste. Hard to let being an avid golfer and being less than casual. Golf was a big part of my life that is gone now.. This is how life goes

Thanks for all honest replies

I've contemplated it a couple times. I've gotten frustrated with not feeling like I'm getting anywhere with my game and thought why even keep trying. I have been very close once to just giving everything away and stopping, but I"ve stuck with things so far. I don't think I'd ever quit, but I would not be surprised if something happened and I entertained the idea down the road.

I'm quitting for two weeks to give my back a chance to heal. I've taken a week already then started back with no progress. Doctor today told me lots of arthritis in the lower spine, prescribed some steroids and pain pills, getting signed up for PT. The annoying things is that golf is the only activity that aggravates the pain. I've mowed with push mowers, rider, and tractor, also used string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and chain saws but none of that bothers my back, just golf!

It is hard to quit right now because until the muscles spasm, I'm really playing good golf, then after the pain starts, the game goes into the dumpster.

Last edited:
Honestly, THP is one of the biggest reasons I have no intention of considering quitting.

The camaraderie at THP events and especially the opportunity to experience team golf as an adult brings a whole new level of excitement versus just another weekend round.

I did finally reach a point where I had to accept that my best golf was behind me and that an 89 is what a 79 used to be to me. It was either that or quit. And I love the good shots too much to quit. Even if those good shots may be becoming fewer and fewer. I would imagine the only thing that would lead me to quit would be the physical inability to swing the club at all.

I have to quit every year for 5 months of winter and I can't stand it.

Back