Beginner golf clubs

cardsharc

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for some help im an extreme novice golfer and im looking at buying my first set of clubs. My question is it worth it to just buy a new set of begginers clubs that come with a bag thats an already made set or should i just buy better clubs and learn with those clubs.

I have looked around and i can find a decent set of used clubs that to me are geared a little more towards intermediate skill level which could allow me to grow into them.

Aopreciate any help thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There are some pretty solid boxed sets out right now (meaning complete set that come with a bag). Tour Edge has a few, Callaway has a few as well. Both are pretty darn solid. If you are just starting out, I think its a pretty good idea, to keep the investment small like this and still get a quality product because if you do decide to go more serious, you are going to want to get something that you really enjoy and fits you.

And welcome to THP.

Thanks i was leaning towards a good beginner set but i was worried id out grow them in a year which is why i asked the question. So i guess if i get a higher end beginners set it should last me a few years at least. If anyone has any info as to what the better beginnerb set that may last me a little longer would be id greatly appreciate it

Thanks appreciate it

What did you think of that Strata set JB? I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used set for $175. I've been using my dads old clubs, but I've gotten to the point where I am hitting well enough to warrant my own set.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

What did you think of that Strata set JB? I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used set for $175. I've been using my dads old clubs, but I've gotten to the point where I am hitting well enough to warrant my own set.

I spent the last 3 days with the person behind that set at the THP Event The Gauntlet and we talked a good bit about box sets and such. While I dont think the avid golfer is going to jump on board (nor should they), for beginners it can be a decent option to save money while they learn what they like and don't like in golf equipment.

I spent the last 3 days with the person behind that set at the THP Event The Gauntlet and we talked a good bit about box sets and such. While I dont think the avid golfer is going to jump on board (nor should they), for beginners it can be a decent option to save money while they learn what they like and don't like in golf equipment.
Thanks for the info. I have a budget of $400 for 5-W, 4H, driver, and putter. Would I be better off walking into a shop and spending all $400 of it on clubs, or just snag the Strata set for half my budget? I hit the driving range twice a week and golf a round when my buddies are available. I still have a kink or two to iron out of my swing, but I feel like I have it pretty much set.

I think if you go the boxed set route it's important to get one from a reputable manufacturer like the ones JB recommended. My first set was a no-name brand boxed set, and the clubs were garbage. The irons were passable, but the hybrids, woods, and driver were borderline unhittable even for a couple of my friends who are single digit handicaps.

If you're a Costco member they also have a Callaway X2 Hot set that is the same price as that Tour Edge set. I'm not recommending one over the other; just putting another option out there. Adams also has some sets that can be found at pretty good discounts from time to time.

Thanks for the info. I have a budget of $400 for 5-W, 4H, driver, and putter. Would I be better off walking into a shop and spending all $400 of it on clubs, or just snag the Strata set for half my budget? I hit the driving range twice a week and golf a round when my buddies are available. I still have a kink or two to iron out of my swing, but I feel like I have it pretty much set.

I honestly can't answer that. I think there is merit to premium golf clubs, but as a beginner, these are sets that will get someone started to enjoy the game we all love here.

I would get a used set of brand name clubs. You can always sell them for what you paid. And if you improve they will still be quite playable.

You don't say anything about your size. If you are tall or short, an off-the-shelf or used set might not fit as well, and that can make a difference in your game. Ping's web site has a pretty decent static fitting tool that can give you an idea of how "standard" you are. If you're 6'5" or 5'5" a standard set won't work as well for you as a custom fit set. That probably gets you out of your price range, but for ten years I played the predecessors to the Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 iron-wood combo set and they are a tremendous value at $500 for a custom fit set. If I had known a month ago you were looking, I might not have traded them in.

That said, if you are patient and diligent, you should be able to find a good used set. A good place to start would be to run a WTB ad in the Marketplace here. Someone may have an old decent set he or she just hasn't been able to find a home for.

Thanks for all the comments great community on this forum. Im 6'1 so im pretty sure i would be standard size clubs.

I guess id prefer to get better than a beginner set i considered piecing together my own set or buying off ebay or a reputable used club website without mentioning any names not sure if thats allowed.

I have seen decent clubs and better than beginner sets for not a ton of money. While im not rich I also dont mind spending a little bit of money to get a better set of clubs.

Theres also the local club having a club measuring and while im not ready for the custom set yet maybe i figure it may not be a bad idea to get measured while they are there doing it so when the time comes id already have the info i need.

Theres at least 8 clubs everyone always has in there bags basically so i could start a set there and then figure out what other clubs i want to fill in with if i built my own. The truth is its very daunting task to sift through all the different clubs etc and whats good for me especially at my extreme novice level.

My mind set has always been with everything I've done. I would rather learn to do something using good products or equipment so that i learn on what i will end up using in the end. Not that i want 4000$ in clubs or even a 1000$ necessarily but i would kind of like to get something a little better than beginner clubs if for no other reason than why buy something with the plan to upgrade in a year or two. Especially when you can find used clubs for such good prices.

Im hoping to meet the pro Wednesday at my local course and im really hoping he's gunna be a pleasant person to work with and i can than get a better feel for some clubs or what his thoughts are on everything as well.

Apprexiate all the thoughts and conversation. Thanks

Anyone have any other thoughts on a little bettwr set of clubs or what brand wpuld you guys go with if yoi got a custom fitting

I strongly recommend not buying clubs without hitting them first. What works for someone else may not work for you.

If you are unusually tall or short, that could limit your options in terms of properly fit clubs. You wouldn't go on a two week hike with just any boots - you'd get fit. Same thing with clubs. If you are pretty average size-wise, you have a wealth of used options open to you.

In used or closeout clubs, offerings from Callaway or TaylorMade preowned can be great bargains. You can probably find two or three-year old models online at places like Budget Golf, Global Golf, Rock Bottom Golf, or even Dick's at a healthy discount. These are all good retailers, but some are definitely better than others, so make sure you know EXACTLY what you are buying. With Nike and Adams out of the equipment business, their very good clubs can also be found at a discount.

In new clubs, I would start my search with the Tour Edge Hot Launch 2, a 2 hybrid/6 iron set for $500. They are really good clubs and they will probably be the least expensive custom fit option you have.

In either case, I am assuming you are starting with irons and filling in driver, fairways and/or hybrids, wedges, and putters around them.

There are lots of good options out there for you. I'm sure you will find at least one.

Back