Budget or performance?

russtopher

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Band
I think it's safe to say a good number of us on THP like to try/buy new clubs a lot. Some because it's fun & hey, SHINY! Others because there might be a small part of us that thinks we can improve on a certain part of our game with just the right stick in our hands (I'll admit to that with drivers).

When you're out looking at new gear, what's your primary decision maker - getting a good deal, or getting something that truly gives you better performance?

I'll use myself as an example - it was recommended that I buy a G30 SF Tec driver to help with consistency since I tend to miss all over the face, and used to fight a slice. However, I had trouble with the $350 pricetag so I ended up getting a K15 instead for <$100. It may not perform as well as the brand new club tech, but it fit my budget and I hit it pretty decently TBH.

What's your biggest decision factor when buying new gear?

Performance. I sometimes by used as it is friendlier on the budget, but would rather get the best clubs for me.

The exception would be buying golfballs though. I won't pay $45 a dozen and would prefer to get a good enough ball for a better deal. Not sure if that hurts my game but it does help the budget.

Two years ago, I decided to upgrade my iron game. Did my research and decided to pull the trigger on a set of i20s, which set me back about 600 bucks. By far the biggest purchase I have ever made for my game. For me I figured since I am such an avid golfer, I could justify the purchase. If I was just a casual golfer, then maybe it would be hard for me to make such a big purchase. Im sure once my family grows, these purchases will be made with more of a focus on budget.

I would love to be able to say performance, but that would be a lie. If it was true I would have ponyed up the $$$ for the irons I was hitting the best, but i didn't, and i ended up with a set that i still hit quite well and saved about $500, so in my eyes win/win. Now if its a once in a while type thing yea, I mean there are times i find a club that i can just hit well and i don't care about the price and just buy it. But more times than not I try to be conscience about the amount of cash I am spending on the clubs because the more I spend on clubs the less i can spend on rounds. And in the end the actual playing is what puts the bigger smile on my face. Just because my clubs are not the latest and greatest doesnt mean i wont be able to learn to hit them just as well, it might just take a bit longer and require some more practice and patience on my part.

Performance hands down.

I guess I fall in the "performance" category - at least with drivers. I went in to my driver fitting with a few of the lower priced drivers in mind, but ended up leaving with the Big Bertha. I've been happy with it since, so it was worth it. Probably cheaper than going though the 2-3 drivers I would have otherwise.

For irons, I see a lot less difference between sets. They either work or they don't for me. So, there I might be willing to go the budget route.

It depends on my mood. If it's something I really want in my bag I'll pay full price. (Usually putters)

Otherwise I'll wait until I get bored or need to swap out.

Performance first and if I can get a good deal even better.

Performance except for balls. I don't believe in buying something just because its a good deal. It has to result in some sort of improvement over what I am replacing.

Balls are the exception. I will only buy AAAA used balls. They work just as well as new and I like paying $17/dozen instead of $37/dozen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitley performance. Although if looks had been an option I might have gone thst route..LOL

While I do consider price, ultimately if I feel confident that a club will work for me, that's the ultimate buying factor. I made an exception to thst with driver this year with the R15 and let a chance to pick it up at employee pricing from the company sway me over what truly was a better fit for me.

Budget.
I can wait on performance. Prices always drop, the next newer and better _____ is always around the corner.
And do not get me started on golf balls....

All of the above? I tend to go for clubs that are about to be discontinued at the big box stores so I can hit them and then get them on ebay for even cheaper. The driver I am hitting now is an R1 that I got last year for 150 and then found a fujikura fuel (one with orange tiger stripes, real deal) for 100. Love it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Budget. At my level of play right now, there isn't any club in the world that will fix my swing. I look for the best "bang for the buck" deals.

Budget first and foremost right now. I do well financially right now, but i'm trying to make up for a lot of years of playing music that I didn't make much (if anything). So, I don't have the budget to spend a lot on the best performing things out there.

I go for performance but I don't upgrade very often, which helps keep the cost down. I also usually buy slightly used to save a few bucks if I am fit into a stock configuration.

I honestly think you can do both. I look for both honestly at the same time

With the exception of new irons once a decade I usually wait a year or so and buy woods, putters, and wedges on eBay on a discount. I just picked up a Wilson FG Tour TC wedge on eBay for $39 shipped. Out of the 18 drivers in my man cave, only 3 were over $120 and many were under $80. It's funny that I'm still the guy who likes to get a good deal as my wife out spends me 20 to 1!!

Performance is the most important for me, I want my good hits to be close to the same and I want my misses to be consistent too, it's all about consistency and performance for me.

I think you can have the best of both worlds with the wealth of used clubs on the market! Yesterday's great performer is today's 2nd hand club at usually a budget price.

Performance is important but not at the ridiculous price of new clubs. That and I love a good deal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. I happen to agree with a lot of you - you can get both budget AND performance when it comes to used club, or clubs from the previous release cycle. I know I prefer to get clubs on sale or used when I can, and while the latest and greatest might get me slightly better performance, to me it's not worth literally hundreds of dollars to squeeze out those extra few yards.

Back