Putters under lock and key?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I was at golf galaxy today and have never seen anything like this before. They had all the Scotty Cameron putters under lock and key, have you seen this before? I can't imagine people are just walking out the door with putters so what purpose does this serve?
2fb4fedb62acfc04c5c52dee664e1167.jpg

Yes, I know of one golf shop that instituted that when they had bettis walk out the door.

Most will just use the magnetic sensor though.

RD does that out here with there new scottys and few others hi end putters.

I've actually heard of people stealing loads of drivers around here. So I wouldn't be shocked if that's happened with putters before. Our GG does the same thing.

Every store in my area is the same way. I assume they don't want kids or even adults playing around with the expensive putters dinging them up.

Both stores near me put their highest end putters (Scotty's at GG, the Betti's at another store) under lock and key. A Dick's I went to had to put the Tour Spiders in a back room because people were walking away from them.

Never underestimate the lengths people will go to to steal something. The point made about them getting dinged up is a good one as well.

Every GG I have been in has been this way. Just assumed that is how they all operated

So the clowns once again ruin it for everybody else.

My Golf Mart has very expensive putters under lock and key while Golf Galaxy and PGA tour superstore have them out for everyone to try. I don't blame them for locking them up, I would too.

See that with Scotty's in most places or other high end putters. Clubs grow feet and walk out of places all the time.

PGA Superstore does not lock them up but puts on the chunky plastic sensor. Hard to get the feel of a putter with that on it.

Have seem them that way in every Golf Galaxy I've been in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have seen regular stock Scottys in a locked display case at a couple of smaller places

Golf Town here used to only have the Bettinardi and high end Scotty putters locked in a case as well. Now they are all on the racks the same as the low end putters.

I can see the reasoning behind it. No one wants a putter with road rash on it, and too many kids end up messing around on those putting greens.

I cringe every time we go to the golf store, and the wife heads straight to the "Scotties Camerons" as she calls them. Dread the thought of having to shell out for a putter she might ding up.

Have seen high end putters with product protection devices attached but not locked up.

Same here. Basically anything over the $250 range is locked up. Sales staff has always been willing to open the case and let me try any of the putters; they even leave while I try them out. Reason give for locking them is too many people taking the 5 finger discount.

Yes, I've seen this in a few places, to include Golf Galaxy.

Our GG does the same. I just assumed it was SOP for them. Probably has the unintentional effect of making them more desirable.

Wow I didn't realize it was so common.

I assumed it was mostly to keep them from getting dinged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 shops by my house, 2 of them leave them out while the third one locks em up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I assumed it was mostly to keep them from getting dinged up.

Same here. I think about every other time I'm in the store some parent it's letting their kid screw around with putters trying to keep them distracted while they look around. The kids are always dragging them around and dropping the heads on the floor.

edwin watts has some lock and key. and i think pgass does too.

Edwin watts has them in class cases!

I've also seen the GG up this way keep them in a glass case.

Back