160 Rounds in and here are my stats....

Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
Just finished my 160th tracked golf round thru the Golfshot App. This is the only app I have used and have not moved off of due to the amount of data I got on it. Full disclosure that this includes 9 and 18 hole rounds in the count towards 160.

I started out as a 16+ handicap and right now thru the CDGA I am a 8.6. On the app I am overall as a 11.1 however. I am a complete stats geek and my only regret was not keeping track of GIR and Fairways hit over the years.

But anyway...as a grinder I am happy with the numbers. I have had a couple eagles the last four years...all on Par 5's...but obviously not enough to even register 1% in the stats.

Here are my stats from 8-11-13 thru 5-21-17:

Best Round by Differential: 82 at Mistwood GC in Illinois
Best Round by Score: 76 at Dayton Golf Course in Illinois (78 at home course Pine Hills in Illinois)
Worst Round: 100 at Blackberry Oaks in Illinois

Overall:

Scoring:
41% Bogey
34% Par
20% Dbl or worse
5% Birdie

Putting:
1.88 putts per hole
2.07 GIR

Last 20:

Scoring:
45% Bogey
32% Par
19% Dbl or worse
3% Birdie

Putting:
1.71 putts per hole
2.04 GIR

Last 5:

Scoring:
48% Bogey
35% Par
14% Dbl or worse
3% Birdie

Putting:
1.62 putts per hole
2.00 GIR

Any tips or suggestions are always welcome

Last edited:
Added by best and worst round scores as well....interesting to see the range of scores in the phone lol

Nice work. I really recommend you use the "game golf" app. No equipment needed, just the app on your phone. It will give you a strokes gained analysis of your round, which is extremely useful. It will do fa gir ppg etc but i love the strokes gained part. Just make sure that after your last putt on each green you edit the flag location so it doesn't skew your approach vs putting stats. (Center of the green isn't necessarily where the flag actually is... so it might think you sank a 20 ft putt when it was really only 4 foot for instance).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work. I really recommend you use the "game golf" app. No equipment needed, just the app on your phone. It will give you a strokes gained analysis of your round, which is extremely useful. It will do fa gir ppg etc but i love the strokes gained part. Just make sure that after your last putt on each green you edit the flag location so it doesn't skew your approach vs putting stats. (Center of the green isn't necessarily where the flag actually is... so it might think you sank a 20 ft putt when it was really only 4 foot for instance).

Thanks man i will check that out

I love me some golfshot app!

I'm a stats junkie too and LOVE to analyze them!

Just based on what you posted, I think you could shave some serious strokes with a bunch of lag putting work. Your putts per hole suggest a pretty good short game.

What are your FIR and GIR percentages? Based on what you posted, my guess is that you are in the 35-40% range, which would be 6-8 GIR per round on average.

Using 7 GIR as a baseline, and 2.1 putts per GIR, you are averaging 14-15 putts on greens you hit. If you could get that number into the 1.9 range (13 putts/GIR), that is 2 strokes per round you could save on average, and about 3 strokes off of your handicap.

One way that I like to approach longer lag putts is to cut the distance I'm judging in half. I'll find a spot halfway between my ball and the hole and practice a stroke that will get the ball to the hole from that spot. Once I'm comfortable with that length of stroke, I'll turn my head back to my mark and add the additions distance to that spot that I determined from judging to the hole.

You will have to account for slopes and undulations, obviously, but adding two shorter strokes together to make the longer one helps me to take much of the guess work out of those longer lags.

Hope that helps and thanks for the opportunity to analyze your stats!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Hard to tell just from these stats but I'll give a few observations: since you're an 8.6 handicap and your GIR putting is averaging right at 2, then I'd say you must not be hitting that many greens and overall you're putts per hole (although improved over the 4 years) are 1.88-1.62 which means when you're missing greens, you're not making many par-putts which either says you struggle with putting or chipping it close.

Let me ask, how many fairways are you hitting per round? Maybe that's keeping you from hitting greens?

Or if you're hitting a lot of fairways, then you must struggle with your approach shots, getting it to the hit green but also hitting it close to the pin.

Without knowing anymore details, I'd tell you to really strengthen your iron/approach clubs, chipping, and putting. When you hit greens, you can 2 putt, leading to pars all day long. When you don't hit greens you have to be able to chip it close enough to make a putt.

Hard to tell just from these stats but I'll give a few observations: since you're an 8.6 handicap and your GIR putting is averaging right at 2, then I'd say you must not be hitting that many greens and overall you're putts per hole (although improved over the 4 years) are 1.88-1.62 which means when you're missing greens, you're not making many par-putts which either says you struggle with putting or chipping it close.

Let me ask, how many fairways are you hitting per round? Maybe that's keeping you from hitting greens?

Or if you're hitting a lot of fairways, then you must struggle with your approach shots, getting it to the hit green but also hitting it close to the pin.

Without knowing anymore details, I'd tell you to really strengthen your iron/approach clubs, chipping, and putting. When you hit greens, you can 2 putt, leading to pars all day long. When you don't hit greens you have to be able to chip it close enough to make a putt.

The nail on the head is the pitching amd chipping...as im leaving myself longer par putts than I should. When i score decent I am making those putts.....when i dont....im bogeying.

Approach shots are decent but i would say it could improve greatly. I know even without looking at the numbers that chipping and pitching could get me the better scores quicker than anything.

Thank you for the feedback

The nail on the head is the pitching amd chipping...as im leaving myself longer par putts than I should. When i score decent I am making those putts.....when i dont....im bogeying.

Approach shots are decent but i would say it could improve greatly. I know even without looking at the numbers that chipping and pitching could get me the better scores quicker than anything.

Thank you for the feedback

Absolutely...totally agree with that last part as well. It's something I'm working constantly on. Chipping the ball close when I miss a green. I also try to miss on the easier side. You never want to miss on the short side...but easier said than done of course lol

I love me some golfshot app!

I'm a stats junkie too and LOVE to analyze them!

Just based on what you posted, I think you could shave some serious strokes with a bunch of lag putting work. Your putts per hole suggest a pretty good short game.

What are your FIR and GIR percentages? Based on what you posted, my guess is that you are in the 35-40% range, which would be 6-8 GIR per round on average.

Using 7 GIR as a baseline, and 2.1 putts per GIR, you are averaging 14-15 putts on greens you hit. If you could get that number into the 1.9 range (13 putts/GIR), that is 2 strokes per round you could save on average, and about 3 strokes off of your handicap.

One way that I like to approach longer lag putts is to cut the distance I'm judging in half. I'll find a spot halfway between my ball and the hole and practice a stroke that will get the ball to the hole from that spot. Once I'm comfortable with that length of stroke, I'll turn my head back to my mark and add the additions distance to that spot that I determined from judging to the hole.

You will have to account for slopes and undulations, obviously, but adding two shorter strokes together to make the longer one helps me to take much of the guess work out of those longer lags.

Hope that helps and thanks for the opportunity to analyze your stats!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to look them over.....and i really wish i kept my GIR and fairwys hit stats over the years.

My issue lies more with getting better pitches, chips and approach shots closer. Im a decent scrambler but often I am scrambling for a 10-15 footer for par due to a poor chip or pitch shot.

Love the tip regarding the putting. Will defo try that

Thanks man i will check that out

If you like stats you will love it. Highly recommend it and is worth buying the unit, much easier than the phone app.

Solid improvement dude, I'm a big fan of stat tracking as well.

How many penalties a round?
How many 3-putts? Although, more than likely, a 3 putt usually has more to do with your approach shot and not your putting.

How many penalties a round?
How many 3-putts? Although, more than likely, a 3 putt usually has more to do with your approach shot and not your putting.

No stats for those sadly....here is a pic of the putting section.

cc3ee199011e11c18d34357a29578e3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that putting you really should work on. Seems as a single digit you really should be under 2 for putts per gir, even if you aren't hitting it close a ton.
Another stat I like since FIR can be really worthless with no context is good drive stat. That is FIR + GIR when you missed the fairway. I find that to be a better picture of your driving for the round.

I think that putting you really should work on. Seems as a single digit you really should be under 2 for putts per gir, even if you aren't hitting it close a ton.
Another stat I like since FIR can be really worthless with no context is good drive stat. That is FIR + GIR when you missed the fairway. I find that to be a better picture of your driving for the round.

Cannot argue any of that.

Been good at scrambling to shoot between 79-84 all year based on the ability to avoid the big scored and par enough to keep it low....and get the random birdie or two.

Without a doubt if my chipping and putting improved i could greatly improve my scores.....knowing is one thing tho lol

Took some advice and played better today with the putter. 15 putts for 9 and left myself manageable par putts when off the green with chipping. Still a long way to go. Thx again guys

I think us amateurs tend to overreact to how long our first putts are. Below are this years #'s from the PGA Tour. For those that track their own Proximity to the Hole on Approach Shots, hopefully, this can be a guide on where work might really be needed. This shows the Best, the Middle and the Worst for each yardage range from 100-200.

Proximity to Hole from FW -
All Yardages

1 33' 0"
T96 36' 10"
207 43' 2"

Approaches from 100-125 yards
1 15' 3"
T100 20' 9"
207 29' 7"

Approaches from 125-150 yards
1 19' 4"
T100 24' 0"
207 30' 4"

Approaches from 150-175 yards
T1 21' 7"
T100 28' 4"
207 36' 8"

Approaches from 175-200 yards
1 28' 0"
T97 34' 5"
207 42' 8"

Yeah they don't hit it as close as you may think but it is hard to compare where they play to the average course. The pins are generally tucked and they might be aiming for a 20 foot putt. Give them middle pins and greens that the ball stops where it hits and I imagine you could take 5-10 feet off most off those stats.

Just make sure that after your last putt on each green you edit the flag location so it doesn't skew your approach vs putting stats. (Center of the green isn't necessarily where the flag actually is... so it might think you sank a 20 ft putt when it was really only 4 foot for instance).

I'm new to Game Golf. How do you do this in the app?

Not totally sure, I have the device and I just always make 1 extra tag with the putter as I am getting the ball out of the hole so I know where to change the pin to when I get home and upload to my computer.

I'm new to Game Golf. How do you do this in the app?

Hit edit. Then zoom in on the green. Touch the flag icon and move it to where it should be. It will give you feet measurement on the putts and you can get more precise than the gps.

160 Rounds in and here are my stats....

Well after some feedback and suggestions my putting is at least trending in right direction. Had a few three putts at Cantigny but man some of those greens I was HAPPY with a 3 putt lol....Still a LONG way to go...Thanks again guys...
4be4c4eacf884dfcda6403c1704782e4.png

0b88addd4e0c2d45d7371cf3c4997cb5.png

Back