Anyone ever ream a golf club?

Pringles

waywardpoints
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have a little project in mind and got the OK from the manufacturer to ream a golf club hozel from a .355 to a .370. This will be my first attempt at it and have all of the necessary tools. I have not found much information on how to do this so I was wondering if anyone has done this before and if there are any special precautions. I know some people may think this is not a great idea but it is a fun little project I will be doing. So what do I need to know? Thanks guys!

definition of ream:

"4.a. 'to scold or reprimand severely'"

the answer is yes, i have absolutely reamed my golf clubs. every last one of them.

definition of ream:

"4.a. 'to scold or reprimand severely'"

the answer is yes, i have absolutely reamed my golf clubs. every last one of them.

Haha yes I have done the same to all of mine more than once! However, you wouldn't have any experience with a reamer aka metal working tool would you? lol

I tried reaming with my drill press and a vice. My advice is make sure the head is super secure and go slow, add some sort of lubricant so it doesn't overheat.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I tried reaming with my drill press and a vice. My advice is make sure the head is super secure and go slow, add some sort of lubricant so it doesn't overheat.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

So how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried it once on a drill press, it didn't go so well. It was on an old set of bore through iron heads and the ream got off center so i end up with overlapping hosels, which was not ideal.

So make sure your hosel is perfect straight up and down is the key step. Also make sure the head is held very tightly in the clamps.

I've tried it once on a drill press, it didn't go so well. It was on an old set of bore through iron heads and the ream got off center so i end up with overlapping hosels, which was not ideal.

So make sure your hosel is perfect straight up and down is the key step. Also make sure the head is held very tightly in the clamps.

Thanks for the advice. All I am seeing online is that it is better to do it by hand and take your time vs using a drill press. We will see! Going to be throwing a PX shaft in the club so excited for this. I have a 105g 6.5 hzrdus shaft that I want to put into a driving iron.

Thanks for the advice. All I am seeing online is that it is better to do it by hand and take your time vs using a drill press. We will see! Going to be throwing a PX shaft in the club so excited for this. I have a 105g 6.5 hzrdus shaft that I want to put into a driving iron.

Good luck. I assume your HZRDUS Black 105 hybrid driving iron will go 290 just like Rory's does?

Good luck. I assume your HZRDUS Black 105 hybrid driving iron will go 290 just like Rory's does?

Not even close! Just enjoy that heck out of the shaft! Haha

The highest percentage probability is you ruin your club head. There are all kinds of shafts on ebay that are made for .355 taper tip. Unless you must have that shaft in it or just want to tinker around I don't see the point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree I don't think you want to have the club head secure with a drill press. You want the drill/ream to follow the hole that is already there. If possible you might want to do it in steps depending on what size drill bits/reamers you have.

So I just reamed the club today and the shaft fit like a glove! It is currently drying and I am praying that it works out great! Fingers crossed.

Honestly, the drill press is not the way to go unless you are certain you are perfectly 90 degrees to the table during set up. If you are slightly off the bit will deflect and may wallow out the top of the hosel a little. The best way to go is the head in a bench vise and a hand drill. That way the bit will just follow the current bore and basically guide you in. Take your time and go slow, maybe step up slowly with a few different sized bits instead of going right to a .370. Just one mans opinion, it worked for me. Also, I have a really nice drill press and I didn't even consider using it for this.

The highest percentage probability is you ruin your club head. There are all kinds of shafts on ebay that are made for .355 taper tip. Unless you must have that shaft in it or just want to tinker around I don't see the point.

I have to retract my previous statement. I recently undertook building a one length iron set on the cheap. Two of the clubs were taper tip and I only have parallel tip shafts. I wrapped the heads in a drink coozy and put them in my vise so as not to damage their looks. I used a hand drill starting with one size smaller and finishing with a 3/8" bit. 3/8" equals .375" and is only 5/1000" larger than the shaft tip. I used machine oil and went slow. Putting the shaft in I used a heavier than usual mixture of shafting beads to help center the shaft as it was just a little bit loose. Worked out fine.

Back