Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

What effect will changing the lie angle on this driver I have it set at 1.5* closed what effect will it have if I put it at 1.5* closed and upright which would make it 1* more upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What effect will changing the lie angle on this driver I have it set at 1.5* closed what effect will it have if I put it at 1.5* closed and upright which would make it 1* more upright.

I believe going more upright will close the face a little more.

I believe going more upright will close the face a little more.

It says that the face angle is still 1.5* closed just 1* more upright as there is no turf interaction with a driver not sure what effect it will have on shot shape.

It says that the face angle is still 1.5* closed just 1* more upright

I am not that familiar with Cleveland driver settings so go with what it says. I was just going with what Cally says about the upright setting on theirs.

I am not that familiar with Cleveland driver settings so go with what it says. I was just going with what Cally says about the upright setting on theirs.

That's the point it doesn't say what going upright will do. I had to go one degree up right with my irons as they are 1" shorter than standard but the driver doesn't touch the ground.

Marketing will tell you that it's going to create a draw flight or draw bias. Turf interaction isn't necessarily an issue, but the low loft is (in other words, the effect will be minimal). With a high lofted wedge, a lie angle that is too upright will literally create a face that points left of the target. That is mitigated in a big way as loft decreases.

More than anything, it can slightly change the way the driver sits at address (toe will be more up).

I have been tinkering with the setting on this driver and I have found very little difference in having the face set at fully closed or square at the moment I have it at square upright and find it long with a consistent fade. Even if I set up for a draw with it at fully closed and the 11 gram weight in it I could not get it to draw with my swing. I can draw my 3 wood fine but I can't for the life of me get this driver to draw.

Last edited:
Just picked up a new one of these this week for $50. I was messing with my driver swing and wanted to make sure that it was the cowboy and not the revolver. Anyway, no launch monitor but I dialed in my swing this week and I have to say...this club is hitting a consistently swung ball about 10 to as much as 15 yards farther than my X2 Hot. I haven't checked the swing weight but I'm guessing that it's due to a lower weight leading to a higher swing speed even at the same effort.

Anyway, I'll have to play with this a bit. I have to say, I kind of like the setup and how it looks.

Just picked up a new one of these this week for $50. I was messing with my driver swing and wanted to make sure that it was the cowboy and not the revolver. Anyway, no launch monitor but I dialed in my swing this week and I have to say...this club is hitting a consistently swung ball about 10 to as much as 15 yards farther than my X2 Hot. I haven't checked the swing weight but I'm guessing that it's due to a lower weight leading to a higher swing speed even at the same effort.

Anyway, I'll have to play with this a bit. I have to say, I kind of like the setup and how it looks.

this is a great driver. I might game mine this afternoon for fun. Really solid and s steal right now for the price

I really liked the Altitude. I might try to pick one of these up for cheap to play around with.

Can anyone compare the 588 Custom to the 913 D2, Bio Cell, or SLDR? I ask about those drivers only because those are the drivers I have the most experience with. Unfortunately, there is not a single golf shop around here that still carries this driver so I have no way of trying it out.

Can anyone compare the 588 Custom to the 913 D2, Bio Cell, or SLDR? I ask about those drivers only because those are the drivers I have the most experience with. Unfortunately, there is not a single golf shop around here that still carries this driver so I have no way of trying it out.
I would say that the Custom is a lot easier to hit and loft than those with the possible exception of the Bio Cell. The Custom is lighter, too, I believe, but I may be wrong as I haven't compared the specs.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Hey guys sorry for reviving this old thread but my local shop has a pretty good deal on one of these.

My driver swing speed is only around 95-100mph and I was wondering if the 588 Custom Driver offers enough lateral forgiveness compared to the newest 2016 drivers.
Just to let you know. My driving game needs as much forgiveness as I can get but with good launch conditions (not too high). I tend to hit my irons and FW pretty high.

I'm tempted to order this one with an Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie shaft in stiff.

Thanks for your help!

It's close. I don't think you will find it as well liked forgiveness wise as something like GBB or XR16, but it's a darn good driver for a song right now.

Hey guys sorry for reviving this old thread but my local shop has a pretty good deal on one of these.

My driver swing speed is only around 95-100mph and I was wondering if the 588 Custom Driver offers enough lateral forgiveness compared to the newest 2016 drivers.
Just to let you know. My driving game needs as much forgiveness as I can get but with good launch conditions (not too high). I tend to hit my irons and FW pretty high.

I'm tempted to order this one with an Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie shaft in stiff.

Thanks for your help!

I found it very forgiving. I spun it too much, but I did like the consistency it gave and the price is stupid right now

Thanks a lot JB and Bearded Man^^
It's a tough call. I know it sounds stupid but the last driver I had was the absolutely awful sounding Cobra King LD Series from 2007:). After that experience I totally stepped away from the big sticks:banghead:
I tested the TM M2 this year and discovered that I should give the big stick a new chance:). I was able to hit it 250 consistently. Only that the regular shaft/or my swing caused some unwanted dispersion^^
Being a student I just don't want to spend 400 bucks on a driver that I may(may not be finally able to hit^^

Another driver that's in my budget and on sale at my local shop would be the Mizuno JPX EZ from 2014. Have you been able to compare the Mizzy and the 588 Custom?

Thanks! and sorry I know I'm talking about 2 year old drivers^^

Doesn't sound stupid buddy. Makes perfect sense.

I much preferred the Cleveland out of those two.

Especially as one is about $300 cheaper right now

Seconded- 588 by a landslide

thanks a lot guys. hopefully I'll be able to test this bad boy. Options are Red Tie/Black Tie or Miyazaki JDL 6. I am pretty much sure the Red Tie suits my swing the best but I'll try to test the other options too.

I totally like the looks of it. Just saw that my store also offers the even more forgiving 588 altitude. The only thing that intrigues me is the shaft. I think the Altitude would launch way too high with the stock shaft.

I had the 588 Custom for a very brief period of time and I did like it. Between the two choices listed I would go with the 588 every time. The JPX EZ and i didnt get along at all when I demo'd it a few times.

Last edited:
How would you compare it to your XR driver? 2015 version I guess.

How would you compare it to your XR driver? 2015 version I guess.

I much prefer the XR but a lot of that is I have never been a huge fan of gloss driver heads so standing over the XR I just feel more confident. As far as flights and what not. I would say the XR is more forgiving overall. Launch comes easier for me with the XR, I struggle with launch on my driver. The 588 seemed to me to be more forgiving on vertical misses but the XR is much better on lateral misses. The 588 was a fun driver just didn't fit my game and misses. My main miss with the driver is slightly low and very heel side. I will say i switch the shaft on the XR as I didn't get the stock shaft with mine since I bought it used from a fellow THPer. The 588 I had the stock shaft, really liked the way it felt and thought about switching the adaptor to a hallway to try in the XR. Sound wise I do prefer the XR.

thanks for your effort musicmaster. Lateral forgiveness is pretty much the thing I'm looking for. My typical misses are high on the toe. As far as looks are concerned I pretty much prefer black matte or very bold head/face color contrasts but I can stand glossy aswell.
Tough decision but thanks again for your help guys!

Edit: I can get the XR Driver(2015)-regular only at my shop for around 210$. The 588 Custom +free shaft options costs 100$:)

thanks for your effort musicmaster. Lateral forgiveness is pretty much the thing I'm looking for. My typical misses are high on the toe. As far as looks are concerned I pretty much prefer black matte or very bold head/face color contrasts but I can stand glossy aswell.
Tough decision but thanks again for your help guys!

Edit: I can get the XR Driver(2015)-regular only at my shop for around 210$. The 588 Custom +free shaft options costs 100$:)

I say if you can hit them both, do that and pick your favorite one, that is the obvious answer, but if you want info on it, I have been playing the 588 custom for almost two years now, and I love it. and I am not known to find the middle of the face very often.

Back