Trackman Blog - PGA/LPGA Trackman Averages for All Clubs

-CRW-

Reaction score
These charts may have been posted before, but they are interesting and worth a look. I was really surprised by some of the numbers.

http://blog.trackmangolf.com/pga-tour-averages-stats/

TrackMan_PGA_Tour_Averages.png

LPGA-Tour-Average-Stats.png

Huh. On my good days, I hit like a girl. And I mean that in the best way.

I should probably follow the LPGA more. Their game is something I can aspire to.

Hey I'm an average PGA tour driver of the ball .

If only I didn't have to play the rest of the hole .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My numbers very closely match the LPGA stats as far as SS and distance, not sure on the other numbers though.

I'm right with the LPGA averages with my carry distances. I hit it like a girl. But those girls are really, really good.

Last edited:
I'm somewhere in the middle of the two, right now at least. I'd say I'm about 60% of the way to the PGA numbers based from the ladies.
Hit a 5 iron last night 193....with rollout.

I hit more like LPGA players and I'm okay with that actually. For my information, I'm more surprised at the difference in driver AoA vs SS for PGA vs LPGA. Just goes to show, only club you should be hitting up on the ball is driver. Think most amatuers have the incorrect thought that hitting up is necessary to get flight on the ball instead of hitting down/through the ball and letting the club loft do the work.

I'm right about in the exact middle. But I suck soooo much more haha

I thought the Lpga averages would be a tad higher to be honest. There's quite a few ladies that seem to crush the ball. Wish I could carry 275 on average like the pga haha

Clearly they didn't have the stats of the average Internet Golfer.

Clearly they didn't have the stats of the average Internet Golfer.

That's easy to figure though. Just take all of the PGA numbers and add about 10 to 15% on all of the distances.

The thing that shocked me most was the PGA tour averages for carry distances. When I watch golf on TV the announcers are always like "he's got 200 yards to the pin, looks like he's gonna go with an easy 6 iron" or something along those lines. So either the announces are full of sh!t, the wind/course conditions are playing long, or I'm only hearing that for the tours longest hitters (which according to the averages, are only a small percentage of players).

The second most shocking aspect of the numbers to me where just how short the LPGA distances are. My carry distances are much closer to the PGA tour averages, but it shows how little average carry matters when your dispersion sucks (along with the rest of your game).

For every Phil, Bubba and Keegan, guys that pummel the ball there are guys like Freddie Jacobson, Tim Clark and Zach Johnson. While still longer than us mere mortals, at least closer to what we hit. For reference, here is a WITB from Freddie with guesstimates on distance.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag/2011-12/photos-fredrik-jacobson#slide=1

On a side note, I bet that the PGA averages will get faster and longer the next few years as it seems every kid coming up just crushes the ball.

The thing that shocked me most was the PGA tour averages for carry distances. When I watch golf on TV the announcers are always like "he's got 200 yards to the pin, looks like he's gonna go with an easy 6 iron" or something along those lines. So either the announces are full of sh!t, the wind/course conditions are playing long, or I'm only hearing that for the tours longest hitters (which according to the averages, are only a small percentage of players).

The second most shocking aspect of the numbers to me where just how short the LPGA distances are. My carry distances are much closer to the PGA tour averages, but it shows how little average carry matters when your dispersion sucks (along with the rest of your game).

For the irons I'm about 5-6 yards shorter on my carry numbers. My fairway woods are probably 7-8 yards shorter carry, but the driver I'm probably 15-20 yards behind. It'd be interesting to actually get on trackman and check it out though.

It always amazes me on tv when the guys are hitting 210 yard 6 irons and such. Only a cart path is helping me get there. But I believe it's really the fact that their clubs are perfectly fit to them and it's their profession. It's what they do 24/7 and they should be incredible! Not to mention, when watching tv you tend to see all the leaders which tend to be the folks that are out there striping the ball a LOOOOONG way.

I was dead on with the LPGA distance averages. Now if I could only hit it straight. :banghead:

Let's not forget that these are CARRY distances. Most amateurs, myself included, get caught up in how far the ball ultimately travels. If a PGA pro carries a drive 275 with optimum spin and launch angle, that thing is going to roll another 25 - 40 yards depending on the fairway. There's your 300 yard drives.

I would love to see my average: 230 carry, 5 yds roll (forward) 30 yds roll (left) until the trees slowed it down.

This is a GREAT point.

Let's not forget that these are CARRY distances. Most amateurs, myself included, get caught up in how far the ball ultimately travels. If a PGA pro carries a drive 275 with optimum spin and launch angle, that thing is going to roll another 25 - 40 yards depending on the fairway. There's your 300 yard drives.

I would love to see my average: 230 carry, 5 yds roll (forward) 30 yds roll (left) until the trees slowed it down.

Looking at that chart, I am longer (5-15 yds) on carry than the LPGA for Irons/hybrids, but a bit shorter on Driver... Totally due to my lack of skill/talent whereas they get the most out of the speed they generate.

I won't even think about comparing myself to the PGA pros as it will just depress me.

i've heard many times that most of hackers would do better to watch the lpga tour for tips on how to play good golf, than to try to do what the guys on the pga tour do.

the other interesting thing is that my driver swing is probably 5-10mph faster than the ladies, but we're getting the same distances. as you move down in irons, i'm 2-3 clubs longer than they are, but 1 club shorter than the dudes.

Let's not forget that these are CARRY distances. Most amateurs, myself included, get caught up in how far the ball ultimately travels...

I agree. There seems to be a big disconnect for Internet golfers between carry and total distance, even if that disconnect comes from a lack of understanding.

What I think these charts show more than anything is that distance doesn't matter as much as skills and consistency. Especially when you compare the charts to amateurs. So while I may hit longer than most of the LPGA pros, there isn't a single one I could beat.

My iron carry numbers are surprisingly close to the PGA average, but woods...not so much.

Great point. I'd also point out that when amateurs talk about how far they hit their clubs they give the number that represents those times they made solid contact and are tossing away the less than perfect shots. The reality is any average should include both so while some folks may sometimes hit their 5 iron 200, I bet there are some toe and fat shots that go 170 that aren't being included in the average.

I'm going by my Game Golf average + what I've seen on the GC2 during my lessons for carry distances. My coach tells me the total distance to be encouraging, but I only look at carry distance.

My problem is shot control. Something I'll have to work on when i get back to playing. And I'll be doing it the painful way - on the golf course.

Last edited:
My irons are similar to the Pga tour avg, but my 5w, 3w, and Driver are way behind.

Back