The Lawn Mower Thread

stryper

Reaction score
Handicap
n/a
Did a search and found a couple of zero turn threads, from a few years back, but not much else.

Curious us as to what you THPer's are using to tame your turfs...zero turn, tractor, or push? And do you try to achieve a golf course/stadium quality look?

For my part, I am a lawn enthusiast, though not a complete fanatic. I'll tolerate a few weeds, but otherwise I'll let a couple of golf course sups that I know guide me through the feeding cycle.

Gear-wise, my main mower is a Simplicity ZT2500, 48" cut; trim mower is a 22" Personal Pace Toro Recycler; Stihl handles the weed whacking and blowing details. Love the stripes the Simplicity lays down.

So what about the rest of you?

Picked up a ryobi battery powered mower. I have a small yard to maintain so it works perfect for me and no,need to,have gasoline sitting around. I just like the lawn to look good no need for baseball stadium quality

Picked up a ryobi battery powered mower. I have a small yard to maintain so it works perfect for me and no,need to,have gasoline sitting around. I just like the lawn to look good no need for baseball stadium quality
I got a greenworks mower with the battery packs a few years ago. I love it, so much easier than gas and does a great job. Got the matching weedwhacker too.

I've always used Toro and last year upgrade to a newer model with the personal pace AWD. It has been a huge help, especially on the hill in my backyard. I typically don't bag and use the mulch feature so the clippings can break down back into the soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Craftsman 30" rider (anything bigger doesn't get through my gate to the backyard) and a 21" Lawn Boy rear wheel drive self propelled push mower that will not die. It is a 2002 model and runs like a champ. Those two cycle engines are the shiznit.

My old mower finally died and I need to buy a replacement. Our yard is so small I'm having a hard time forking over the money.

Just finally replaced my 20 year old lawn boy with a toro recycler with the Honda GCV engine and I'm really happy so far.

I wouldn't recommend the personal pace to anyone with a ton of landscaping or trees to maneuver but otherwise it's good.

I have a small yard so it's a push mower for me. It's a 22inch Toro Recycler that I have had for 8 years. Weed eater is a troy built 4cycle and I love it. Yard is not exactly golf course but it is in decent shape. I do have an old school push Reel mower that I like to use in the summer. If the cards fall right down the road I hope to have a power Reel mower or maybe a pull behind like we did in college.
24b92b4e385c4e7c6c60631402356d4a.jpg
9d9bccdf3716e0994dd1a8fee0ada870.jpg
7758a52758e0b0eae017fc487666ee19.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Just finally replaced my 20 year old lawn boy with a toro recycler with the Honda GCV engine and I'm really happy so far.

I wouldn't recommend the personal pace to anyone with a ton of landscaping or trees to maneuver but otherwise it's good.

Since we moved to Kansas from Des Moines in 1969, mom had two Lawn Boys. One she got around 1975 and the next one was a 2002 (the one I am using now). So awesome. But I hate where they put the throttle; it always catches on the chain link fence. And you can't go the other way since they have the offset wheel means you can't get close enough to the fence! They thought that good for them! Still the best mowers out there (the ones that are still two cycle).

I have almost 1/2 acre and I use a 2000 John Deere LT155 lawn tractor with the 38" deck and a Kohler engine. Pre-cup holder, unfortunately. Usually mulch, and every fall, I sucked up between 80 and 90 lawn and leaf bags of leaves, until we got rid of the two biggest, dying trees in the yard. Use a Honda Versamow self propelled for trim, along with an Echo two-cycle weedwhacker. I have a 1998 Honda walk-behind that has a great engine and a cracked plastic deck. I'm thinking someone will take that for a camp somewhere.

As far as maintenance, I like a reasonably uniformly green and weed-free lawn. I use Milorganite for fertilizer, which really greens up the lawn nicely, and spot treat for weeds, my biggest enemies being ground ivy, bentgrass, and crabgrass. Unfortunately, our dear leaders in NYS limit our arsenal of weed fighters. I water as needed in summer.

I had a Lawn Boy for about 21 years, and I wanted to replace it with another, but the sales guy talked me out of it, saying the quality was not the same. Glad to hear he was wrong - those two cycle engines were nice to have on hills, of which I have had plenty.

My yard care mantra in upstate NY: I'd rather mow than blow.

Grasshopper 327 EFI mid-mount with a 61" deck. Its badass, the brand lives up to the hype IMO. But, we also live on 10 mowable acres so it was a necessity to go big.

Grasshopper 327 EFI mid-mount with a 61" deck. Its badass, the brand lives up to the hype IMO. But, we also live on 10 mowable acres so it was a necessity to go big.

Do they not sell Binfords in your area?

I have a 1/2 acre back yard, so a John Deere D130 42" rider and a cheapo Walmart push mower for the small stuff. Trimmer is a Poulan.

Bought a 52" Hustler Raptor SD w/ a 25hp Kohler a couple of weeks ago and love it so far. New to zero turns but I'm able to mow our 2.5 acres with several trees to maneuver around in 1 hr 10 mins. Ztr's are a blast, I'm about to go mow now and looking forward to it!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Ehhh...

Mowing the grass is a chore in the Smiter house, nothing else. I do have an 18.5 horse Craftsman rider after I convinced Mrs Smiter that push mowing wasn't going to happen anymore (took about 3.5 hours to do and the last time I did it, it was hotter then Hades and I ended up puking and generally showing signs of heat exhaustion/stroke-this was 5 or so yeaRd ago). Now it takes an hour or so and provides me about the same satisfaction as the weekly trip for groceries. That being, all time I could spend golfing that I'm not.

I have a couple of mowers. One is a self-propelled Honda - typical mower, I would normally mulch with it. My other mower, and the one I use the most, is actually a push reel mower, from Fiskars. Easy to push, really quiet, and good exercise.

Ehhh...

Mowing the grass is a chore in the Smiter house, nothing else. I do have an 18.5 horse Craftsman rider after I convinced Mrs Smiter that push mowing wasn't going to happen anymore (took about 3.5 hours to do and the last time I did it, it was hotter then Hades and I ended up puking and generally showing signs of heat exhaustion/stroke-this was 5 or so yeaRd ago). Now it takes an hour or so and provides me about the same satisfaction as the weekly trip for groceries. That being, all time I could spend golfing that I'm not.

You seriously need a Z. Lots of fun, cut your time in half again, and use the time saved for more golf.

Make Mowing Great Again!!!

In college I cut the grass for all of the athletic fields and we had a dixie chopper. That thing would hall grass, man I loved cutting the fields that summer. Attached a striper to it and went to town.

"It's not how fast you now, it's how well you now fast..." lol.

I have a self propelled Husqvarna 26" and .75 of an acre. I can literally hear the grass growing now and it takes me over 2.5 hours to mow which cuts into my weekend and golf time. Working on getting a bigger deck commercial walk behind, the wife isn't keen on me getting a riding mower, so this is my compromise.

Working on getting a bigger deck commercial walk behind, the wife isn't keen on me getting a riding mower, so this is my compromise.

You could suggest she handle the cutting with the push mower

You could suggest she handle the cutting with the push mower

Ha! That would NOT work... lol

Have been looking into the Troy-Built Flex system lately, anyone have experience with it??

Curious us as to what you THPer's are using to tame your turfs...zero turn, tractor, or push? And do you try to achieve a golf course/stadium quality look?

Right now I am platooning a John Deere 445 and a New Holland GT20, depending upon which happens to have gas at the time

Yesterday the GT20 got the call because I have the FEL installed on the 445.

Back