Tin Cup, Caddyshack, Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius, The Greatest Game, and Legend of Bagger Vance are all golf movies that if are on TV I always stop and watch.

I agree with you. But in order for the best scene to be aired, it may need to be on HBO, Cinemax and the like. The Golf Channel will edit it.

Hmm, trying to think which scene you are referring to?

TGG & Tin Cup are at the top of my list. Could use a few more made.

Caddyshack without a doubt as I play weekly with most of those guys.

Big hopes for the screen edition of Michael Murphy's "Golf in the Kingdom" if they ever get it done.

Hmm, trying to think which scene you are referring to?
The scene where the girl is walking in the hotel hallway naked with an ice bucket on her head?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have five that come to mind. The Greatest Game, Caddyshack, Tin Cup, Bagger Vance, Happy Gilmore. To be honest those may not be in order though the first one I name would be my favorite.

TGG: Nice movie, uplifting, gives an insight as to how far golf has come from being a "rich man's game." Maybe not as much actual golf as I would like, especially early on.

Caddyshack: Bill Murray. Enough said. Funniest golf movie ever made.

Tin Cup: Basically "Bull Durham" in golf. Some great lines and I liked that they brought in some PGA players to give the movie some realism and humor. I loved Cheech Marin in this movie, he was the best part of it. "Chilly-peppers up Lee Janzen's ass" is something I always think about when I'm on the range.

Bagger Vance: I had high hopes for this movie and had read the book long before it was given to Robert Redford to screw it up on the screen. Hey Sundance, it ain't a love story, duh. The movie was a big disappointment to me. I like Will Smith but when I read the book I was thinking of his character as more of a James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman part. If it was me, I would have given the part to James Earl Jones, Morgan has had plenty of times to play God. I read that Matt Damon couldn't hit the ball worth a crap (not like Costner who is quite athletic) so they just wanted to make sure his swing looked right in filming.

Happy Gilmore: Not really a golf movie but anytime someone can beat the crap out of of Bob Barker and make it funny it has my kudos.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth. I looked and didn't see another post about golf movies so I posted this.

Bagger Vance is based on an old Hindu story.

In a nutshell, Anjuna (Junah) is stuck in a situation that he believes he can not win, and Bhagavad (Bagger) leads him by saying it is not the result, it is doing the best you can in an un-winnable situation. At least that is what this Protestant country-bumpkin got out of the story.

https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/TO-THE-SLAUGHTER-Bagger-Vance-and-the-Bhagavad-Gita

A Gentleman's Game is not that well known, a true gem of a movie and one of my all time favorites. The movie is similar to Searching for Bobby Fischer not only about the game but also child psychology and life.

I'll say Happy Gilmore is probably tied with Caddyshack, because I like goofy humor. The others, while good movies, are fairly distant in second place.

Happy Gilmore is my absolute favorite as I first played golf around the time it came out and the jokes haven't stopped since. I also enjoy Tin Cup and The Legend of Bagger Vance. I thought that utopia movie was awful

This is my answer.

Ditto. Caddyshack and Tin Cup, although I admit to watching Bagger Vance too many times to count. My wife was initially ambivalent about Bagger Vance. I believe she loathes that movie now...:D

Tin Cup is definitely at the top of my list, followed by The Greatest Game Ever Played and Legend of Bagger Vance.

I would put Caddyshack & Happy Gilmore in a different category because the golf in them is just ridiculous, but they are both frickin hilarious!

Ditto. Caddyshack and Tin Cup, although I admit to watching Bagger Vance too many times to count. My wife was initially ambivalent about Bagger Vance. I believe she loathes that movie now...:D

Oh dear...I've only seen a little bit of that one, but what I saw was not amazing haha.

It brings me around to the fact that there aren't many non-comedy golf movies. Greatest Game Ever Played is the only decent one that comes to mind.

I always love Caddyshack as a cult classic. I didn't see The Greatest Game until recently but that is probably my favorite "true" golf movie now...has anyone seen The Squeeze?

I just watched TGG yesterday for the first time. I was surprised that it was directed by Bill Paxton. Always have liked him. Not as much golf as Tin Cup but really a good positive movie.

Oh dear...I've only seen a little bit of that one, but what I saw was not amazing haha.

It brings me around to the fact that there aren't many non-comedy golf movies. Greatest Game Ever Played is the only decent one that comes to mind.

If you can get past Matt Damon's golf swing, it is a pretty good movie (especially if you are into Eastern religions or philosophies at all.) Really good score. Also, the guy who plays Bobby Jones has an amazing swing.

I love and own all those movies.

I thought seven days of utopia wasn't very good.

Happy Gilmore has to be my favorite though lol

Caddyshack without a doubt as I play weekly with most of those guys.

Big hopes for the screen edition of Michael Murphy's "Golf in the Kingdom" if they ever get it done.

What do you mean you "play weekly with most of those guys?" Guys that are like the characters in Caddyshack or actual actors from Caddyshack?

I'm going to have to check Netflix and Amazon Prime for Dead Solid Perfect and A Gentleman's Game. The latter has Gary Sinese whom I also a big fan of.

There was the scene where Connie Bohrer, for the lack of a better term, was partying with Dennis Quaid in his bed. But the scene to which I refer was when she went to the ice machine.

I think you got the wrong Quaid ;)

There was the scene where Connie Bohrer, for the lack of a better term, was partying with Dennis Quaid in his bed. But the scene to which I refer was when she went to the ice machine.
Yep, healthy young lady there :). That was Dan Jenkins (the author of the book) she runs into on her trip to the ice machine.

Back