Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Fairway Wood Preview

Any of you guys hit this against the X2Hot pro? See any benefits between one or the other?

I'll be gaming the Alpha 815 driver and hybo for the foreseeable future -- Figured it might be a decent idea to at least consider the benefits of banging this one around a bit.

Ended up finally finding a 16* with the stiff flex speeder. Seems like a hard combo to find right now so it must be good. Looking forward to trying it out and reporting my findings.

This is my shocked face.uploadfromtaptalk1435955375833.jpg

Before I cracked two bones in my wrist. My club pro had sent in my BB 3 wood because he felt uncomfortable trying to fix the shaft. It would squeak every time I hit it. You could hold the head and twist the shaft, and see it move.
Anyway, he sent it into Callaway. Today it came in and Callaway replaced it with the BB Alpha 3 wood including the upgrade shaft.
I can't wait to get this cast off and get acquainted with this club. My former BB 3 wood was my favorite club. Hopefully this will be the same.
I'm still in shock that Callaway replaced it with a brand new club. My best guess would have been a new shaft. Great customer service
Thanks Callaway

This is my shocked face.View attachment 20687

Before I cracked two bones in my wrist. My club pro had sent in my BB 3 wood because he felt uncomfortable trying to fix the shaft. It would squeak every time I hit it. You could hold the head and twist the shaft, and see it move.
Anyway, he sent it into Callaway. Today it came in and Callaway replaced it with the BB Alpha 3 wood including the upgrade shaft.
I can't wait to get this cast off and get acquainted with this club. My former BB 3 wood was my favorite club. Hopefully this will be the same.
I'm still in shock that Callaway replaced it with a brand new club. My best guess would have been a new shaft. Great customer service
Thanks Callaway

The club is awesome. Hope the cast comes off soon. You'll be loving the 815 the moment you hit it. Changing the weight configuration makes the club play completely different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my shocked face.View attachment 20687

Thanks Callaway
I don't think you will be disappointed. I had my 2014 BB 3W over a year and just loved it. But when I learned the head had a manufacturing flaw and I asked CG to replace it they sent me a complete new 815 FW instead. (I assumed I was just getting a new head for the 14 BB). In the brief time I've played the 815 I can say it suits me even better than what had been the best FWW I had ever played up to that point. I've been on more greens from 3W length in less than 10 rounds than I hit from that length in the whole year before I got that 815. Heal up and have fun!

I finally got to put the new 16* in play and wow was I impressed. I only hit with the heavy weight back but was hitting it great from the deck. A lot smaller club head than I'm used too but I was confident swinging it for sure. I feel like the 16* is a good compromise for my bag setup between driver and the 4 iron. I've been struggling with the distance from the driver but this club felt pretty incredible with the speeder 665.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I think I may have finally found a fairway wood. This thing has been has been my favorite club for the last few rounds. I hit 2 greens today from 240+ out and it feels almost automatic.

I think I may have finally found a fairway wood. This thing has been has been my favorite club for the last few rounds. I hit 2 greens today from 240+ out and it feels almost automatic.

That is deep, dude!!!

I want to game this one for a bit, absolutely. I love the driver and hybrid offerings from Cally this year.

That is deep, dude!!!

I want to game this one for a bit, absolutely. I love the driver and hybrid offerings from Cally this year.

I am not a long hitter by any means. Smooth swing with this one and it made it seem easy.

I'm still listing after a 16* of this. Heavy weight forward. Deadly off the tee but still able to get off the deck with ease during my demoing. If I have some meaningful rounds in the next couple months I may have to pounce.

This club is still easily one of the favorites in the bag. Paired with the diamana S+ it's so easy to hit and the ball just seemingly explodes off the face. Even with it set at D and +1 to make it a 15° I am able to work the ball both ways off the tee.

First round in the books with the 815 fairway and it was a great start. I initially flipped the weights in the head but I didn't the ball flight I saw and changed it back. Really liked the ball flight I saw the whole round and it was long. Kept me in the fairway on a couple of tights holes and gave some good looks for my approach shot.

Been thinking of this one a little bit recently. Might have to pick up a 3....

Been thinking of this one a little bit recently. Might have to pick up a 3....
Callaway PreOwned has them for a pretty reasonable price right now.. #doit

This fairway is in my top 3 of all time. I'm still surprised I hit the smaller profile so well but I love it. It's pretty darn forgiving and plenty long for me.

This fairway is in my top 3 of all time. I'm still surprised I hit the smaller profile so well but I love it. It's pretty darn forgiving and plenty long for me.

Ughhhhhh! These comments are going to cost me.

I was kind of scared of the small profile. Once I really gave it a fair shake, I have been quite impressed with the results. Forgiving and long is an accurate description if you ask me.

With the weight forward, you would pound this thing

That's my guess as well. I've enjoy the X2hot, but the 815 Alpha 18* hybrid has closed the gap, remarkably. I may need an upgrade.

I am really beginning to ask myself why I even hit driver anymore. This club is an absolute bomber for me. Drove a short par 4 green last night pin high at 272 yds.

I think next week I am going to leave the driver in the bag except on par 5's and see what the result is.

I hit this a couple times recently.. It's wonderful, and the distances can be on the verge of obscene off the deck which is awesome for me.

Even really bad swings that contact way out on the toe found fairway with some reduced distance loss.

I hit this a couple times recently.. It's wonderful, and the distances can be on the verge of obscene off the deck which is awesome for me.

Even really bad swings that contact way out on the toe found fairway with some reduced distance loss.

Did you play around with the weight placement?

Did you play around with the weight placement?

no, and it's something I regret. I had it set to 15* and didn't even look at the weights, but I was seeing a slight tendency to go left (which I expect would change with proper weight selection and dropping it to my preferred 14 or 15).. Then again, everything I hit has a tendency to go left hahaha!!

The distance i saw was pretty ridiculous. I got home on a 590 yard par 5 in 2 shots, with a crazy crazy deep second shot with the 815 fairway. Unreal.

no, and it's something I regret. I had it set to 15* and didn't even look at the weights, but I was seeing a slight tendency to go left (which I expect would change with proper weight selection and dropping it to my preferred 14 or 15).. Then again, everything I hit has a tendency to go left hahaha!!

The distance i saw was pretty ridiculous. I got home on a 590 yard par 5 in 2 shots, with a crazy crazy deep second shot with the 815 fairway. Unreal.

What bottles my mind with these clubs, the weight placement really changes the performance. With the weight back, very forgiving and a higher flight that goes a long way. Weight forward, less forgiving by it feels like a missile launcher with more roll out.

It is a pretty noticeable difference.

What bottles my mind with these clubs, the weight placement really changes the performance. With the weight back, very forgiving and a higher flight that goes a long way. Weight forward, less forgiving by it feels like a missile launcher with more roll out.

It is a pretty noticeable difference.

When I have one (and I will have one) I'm going to lean towards the missile launcher setup.

Callaway is taking over the bag.

Back