Coming over the top

Over the top from the inside, that's a new one.

Over the top from the inside, that's a new one.

I'm trying to picture how that is even possible.

i've watched that malaska video when someone else posted it earlier this year. it made -0- sense to me when he explained it. but it resonates with some people.

i've watched that malaska video when someone else posted it earlier this year. it made -0- sense to me when he explained it. but it resonates with some people.

I'm trying to picture how that is even possible.

I understand that people need visual aids to learn, that's good. And explaining the theory is always needed. But there comes a point when less is more. The whole driving a car example was interesting and the thought that there is 20lbs of torque when the club reaches the hip, info I don't find Germaine to the lesson.

Pulling that handle down to the hip, spot on. But how does it get there? What forces counter act the weight of the club? None of this is explained.

I understand that people need visual aids to learn, that's good. And explaining the theory is always needed. But there comes a point when less is more. The whole driving a car example was interesting and the thought that there is 20lbs of torque when the club reaches the hip, info I don't find Germaine to the lesson.

Pulling that handle down to the hip, spot on. But how does it get there? What forces counter act the weight of the club? None of this is explained.

That honestly was one of the oddest videos I've seen, hanging the bag on the club and the steering wheel...I can't even see trying to incorporate any of that into a practice routine or swing thought.

The second video (older one) "Understanding over the top" and the drill was a lot more straightforward.

Since I dont own a tennis racket I used a long handled low walled frying pan to emulate & use as a steering wheel. Like many of you I too was quit skeptical of the drill. For me, it really worked, with one caveat, I was practicing & working hard on my release at the same time. Everything just came together. My playing partner couldnt believe the difference in my accuracy while picking up an additional 10-15 yrds.

OTT from the inside is throwing the club over the hands rather than an under handed styled throw. Prolly not the best explaination. The method really produces a great post impact release, but only when the club head moves OTT of the hands around the right pocket of the pants.

Ben Hogan (& others) : OTT from Inside:

https://youtu.be/Gy_xx-cXKyA

Last edited:
Brian Mogg and I worked on this club over the hands for a couple years when I started lessons with him. The idea was to get the club into a zero gravity position. We achieved this by placing a tee in the butt of club and have it pointing at the ground on the take away and down swing. This allows me to generate effortless power through the swing. It was great drill that helped with my launch and distance.

Brian Mogg and I worked on this club over the hands for a couple years when I started lessons with him. The idea was to get the club into a zero gravity position. We achieved this by placing a tee in the butt of club and have it pointing at the ground on the take away and down swing. This allows me to generate effortless power through the swing. It was great drill that helped with my launch and distance.

Its been working very good for me. Do you have or know where a vid of the drill you once used can be found or located? It sounds very interesting.

Its been working very good for me. Do you have or know where a vid of the drill you once used can be found or located? It sounds very interesting.

We didn't do any informative videos just personal vids for us to review. He worked on this drill with me, John cook, David Lebeck and few other journeyman PGA pros.

Last edited:
My drill was different.

I searched last night thru most of the Brian Mogg vids on line and did not find a drill that even comes close to your description. When the tee was inserted into the end of the grip, was the idea to aim the tee at the outside of the front right foot or right knee while rotating the left forarms like a steering wheel? The clubhead & shaft are almost standing vertically in the transition.

This method does automatically close the face turning over the hands & its almost impossible to chicken wing in the follow thru.

Begins @ 1:00 min mark.

https://youtu.be/Om1vD1vFEt8

Tee in the ground, begins 1:34 min mark.

http://youtu.be/xu5LLCOeyeM

Last edited:
I searched last night thru most of the Brian Mogg vids on line and did not find a drill that even comes close to your description. When the tee was inserted into the end of the grip, was the idea to aim the tee at the outside of the front right foot or right knee while rotating the left forarms like a steering wheel? The clubhead & shaft are almost standing vertically in the transition.

This method does automatically close the face turning over the hands & its almost impossible to chicken wing in the follow thru.

Begins @ 1:00 min mark.

https://youtu.be/Om1vD1vFEt8

Tee in the ground, begins 1:34 min mark.

http://youtu.be/xu5LLCOeyeM

We have a nice thread for fans of this teaching. Let's keep the video post for this teacher in that thread. Thank you

Back