Home security cameras

Just bought a full nest system and absolutely love it .

Not cheap but the features are phenomenal and the 4K cameras are crisp.

You have the option to hook to a security system if you want to or not .

The phone app is extremely well done and very user friendly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a full nest system and absolutely love it .

Not cheap but the features are phenomenal and the 4K cameras are crisp.

You have the option to hook to a security system if you want to or not .

The phone app is extremely well done and very user friendly .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have Nest products in my house and have been quite happy with the products. 3 cameras (3 for the price of 2 with the 3 pack), a thermostat, a protect (smoke/ carbon-monoxide detector), and most recently the lock. Not cheap products but they seem well made and work quite well and give great peace of mind. Big plus in my eyes is that I only need 1 app for all of these products.

I'm in the market. Here's what I want.

motion: Something that will notify me of real movement, not the wind blowing or a fly on the camera? I only want the system to record when it senses movement.
Also want: wireless, 1080p, remote monitor, preinstalled hard drive, night vision, IP not analog

Zosi has gotten some bad reviews on Amazon. Bad software and dying cameras?

I'll spend $300-400. Want 4 cameras.

Any ideas?

We had the Ring Pro doorbell, and a couple of months ago transitioned from Vivint to Ring's alarm system, largely due to the cost. We were paying $67/mo for monitoring with Vivint, and paid $100 for the full year for monitoring with Ring. Ring is supposed to be releasing updated interior cameras (non-spotlighted) soon, so in the meantime we purchased some of the Amazon branded Cloud Cams, and have actually been very pleased with them so far. We really wanted everything integrated in one app, so hopefully, they either will be, or we may switch out cameras later to Ring's new ones.

We had the Ring Pro doorbell, and a couple of months ago transitioned from Vivint to Ring's alarm system, largely due to the cost. We were paying $67/mo for monitoring with Vivint, and paid $100 for the full year for monitoring with Ring. Ring is supposed to be releasing updated interior cameras (non-spotlighted) soon, so in the meantime we purchased some of the Amazon branded Cloud Cams, and have actually been very pleased with them so far. We really wanted everything integrated in one app, so hopefully, they either will be, or we may switch out cameras later to Ring's new ones.
That's kind of the way I'm leaning right now.

Actually just saw that Ring released their new cameras just a few days ago.

I want a system (no-fee) that has sensors on all my main level and lower level windows that will be triggered if the windows are broken and immediately send me a text or update to my smartphone.

Any suggestions?

I want something for quite a few windows, and cameras that activate (notify me immediately via my smartphone) of movement.

I set the monthly-fee Floyd security system off I have on the home I am about to buy, and the police department didn't even come by the house until a half hour later, and they just drove by - didn't even get out of their squad car or shine a light on the house.

It was at that point I realized the monthly-fee Floyd system is worthless and a waste. The hell with that. I want to know immediately if/when someone is in the yard, or tampering with a window.

It's a sketchy neighborhood and the house has been robbed twice.

What about setting up a few Ring motion sensors and/or security camera's/floodlights? They will let you know immediately if someone is walking in front of them. I have the Ring doorbell, security camera, and alarm system including eight door sensors and two motion sensors and it works great. I do pay the $100 per year fee to have monitoring and video recording, but I believe you can go without that. The Ring security system with six door/window sensors and a motion sensor is $240. Extra motion sensors are $30, and the floodlight camera is about $230. I've had the one Ring camera up for a year, and I love getting the immediate notification anytime a car, person, or even squirrel is in my driveway. I can watch or talk to whoever shows up in front of my door. I just got the security system last week and added cameras, door switches, and motion detectors.

The $100 per year is the least expensive monitored system I'm aware of. It includes a video clip each time a camera is triggered and includes contacting the police department if the alarm is triggered.

Last edited:
What about setting up a few Ring motion sensors and/or security camera's/floodlights? They will let you know immediately if someone is walking in front of them. I have the Ring doorbell, security camera, and alarm system including eight door sensors and two motion sensors and it works great. I do pay the $100 per year fee to have monitoring and video recording, but I believe you can go without that. The Ring security system with six door/window sensors and a motion sensor is $240. Extra motion sensors are $30, and the floodlight camera is about $230. I've had the one Ring camera up for a year, and I love getting the immediate notification anytime a car, person, or even squirrel is in my driveway. I can watch or talk to whoever shows up in front of my door. I just got the security system last week and added cameras, door switches, and motion detectors.

The $100 per year is the least expensive monitored system I'm aware of. It includes a video clip each time a camera is triggered and includes contacting the police department if the alarm is triggered.

Will look into this. I'm in the process of buying a house. We should close mid September. Thanks for sharing.

I have the Blink XT2 system now and the image quality and motion detection are great for the price.

I have the Blink XT2 system now and the image quality and motion detection are great for the price.

I've had my Blink XT for almost a year and love it. The only thing I wish it had was a way to set up a schedule for recording motion. It's not perfect - but you're correct for price it's well worth and very capable.

Gave up on the Canary cams after a bunch of issues with notifications, connectivity & such. Went all in on RING for outside and in my detached garage. Also have a stick up cam that we're essentially using as a nanny cam for the dog because my wife is crazy.

Gave a good chuckle on that last line, can relate..

Hopefully ring deals pop up again at Xmas, will be looking to get doorbell pro and then a floodlight cam or 2.. ugh gonna be a hefty bill

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gave a good chuckle on that last line, can relate..

Hopefully ring deals pop up again at Xmas, will be looking to get doorbell pro and then a floodlight cam or 2.. ugh gonna be a hefty bill

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Prime days was my last big spend with them. Some pretty decent discounts.

Just an FYI, if anyone has a Lorex camera that they discontinued the app/support for, you can put a claim in for an updated camera.

Mine just came today, totally free, much better camera, 1080p, motion detection etc etc going to use it for keeping an eye on the dogs and then maybe for outside/above the main door if I can figure out a way to wire it.

Only gripe is some features in the manual (option to not have the spotlight turn on when it senses motion.. kind of blinds us if it detects us; can't set a calendar for when you want motion detection on.. it's on all the time so it's either too many alerts or none at all, and a couple other things... Hope they improve it but not bad having some picture quality inside the home now

I'm convinced that a alarm box will deter 90% of burglars, they go next door where it looks less hassle. I am installing Ring and a big sign.

Old thread but was just at Costco. They are clearing out this NVR system. Not the best specs, but pretty darn good if anyone is interested. Still showing the full $999 online.

$399+tax out the door today and once gone they are gone. Have to find them at a local store.

Screenshot_20230816_193142_Chrome.jpg
I've been looking for a mid level wired option ( this one also has the option to add up to 8 wireless cameras to the NVR).

Want to replace my wireless Arlo 4K Ultra. An event is happening that I want more video presence at the house recording full time and no subscriptions.

Last edited:
Blink has been good for us. Easy install, good camera resolution, decent (not outstanding) night vision, Adjustable sensitivity and zones…. Hasn’t lost connectivity once. Nothing not to like so far.

Reviving from the dead, but I love my Eufy cameras. Very few hiccups, no monthly subscription, HD cameras, very affordable. They are tough to beat!

Back