Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has a full preview of the new Callaway XR16 Driver on the home page today.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-xr16-driver-preview/

i-WD2X2TM-XL.jpg

i-MJvGJ29-XL.jpg

Showing the unique sole design
i-xqz6HRc-XL.jpg

i-R5mgBvK-XL.jpg

XR16 vs XR16 Pro
i-BX548SN-XL.jpg

I like the looks of these, especially the pro. Last year's XR performed really well for me in my fitting.

First thought was how much the sound is improved. The original XR was almost ear piercing. This has a much better sound for both the XR16 and XR16 pro

I think I like the shape of the pro better, but the alignment marking on the other one.

• Admin
Shafts

Fujikura Evolution II TS 665 -60g

Fujikura Evolution 565 -50g

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black -50g

Bassara -40g

I like the blue on black color. I'll read the review later this morning. I'm sure they're two different animals, but how does this compare to the GBB? Again, I'll read the review later this morning.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to give this one a hit. I didn't hit the XR as well as I did some other new drivers, including the Aeroburner and the G30, so it'll be interesting to see how well the XR16 works for me. I dig the design for sure.

• Admin
I know ddec will have some thoughts as he really liked hitting this one at ECPC last month. I believe most of the THPers that were in the Grandaddy got a chance to test out this line.

I like the looks of it, but not quite as much as the last version of the XR. I do like how forgiving the club is suppose to be. I look forward to hitting it.

I like the looks of this offering. The pro version catches my eye over the standard. Can't wait to hear some thoughts on this one.

Im in the camp that I like the Pro version better, but both look decent. May have to look into getting a driver with a matte paint job this season.

Definitely think the pro looks better at address, standard is a little busy with the alignment. Looking forward to reading thoughts of THP'ers that have already tried these.

Is it safe to say that this would be considered a higher spin/higher launch head as compared to the GBB?

Is it safe to say that this would be considered a higher spin/higher launch head as compared to the GBB?

Im not sure I would go that route. It launched similar to me to the GBB, and spin was not too high. This weekend Live Club Testing, will be pitting both of these drivers on FlightScope and people will have tons of numbers to share.

Looks like a nice evolution of last years model. At first I thought the crown looked busy, but, TBH I don't think I've ever actually noticed crown graphics at address.

Im not sure I would go that route. It launched similar to me to the GBB, and spin was not too high. This weekend Live Club Testing, will be pitting both of these drivers on FlightScope and people will have tons of numbers to share.

Cool, thank you. Just read the home page article and saw Dan mention forgiveness numerous times. That's where I've found that the GBB excels for me and I didn't love the previous XR driver due to this but it sounds like they made some changes there to address that.

wonder how this compares forgiveness wise to GBB, based on the article sounds like it may give it a run for its money

I like the sounds of THP testing this weekend. Intrigued. I like them both, actually.

I wouldn't say that. We all have different swings and will generate various degrees of spin, but by design it's on par with the GBB in terms of spin/launch/forgiveness

So if launch and spin are similar to the GBB, what is the main selling point of the XR line compared to the GBB? No sliding Weight?

After some swings on the range with it here were my initial thoughts.

Crown graphics are improved to my eye. Wasn't a big fan of the step pattern on the previous offering.

Sole design, last year's looked better.

At setup I really liked the shape and the way it set up and framed the ball.

Sound is 100% improved.

I took several swings with my trusty power coach PhillyV at my side. They were probably the 3-4 best balls I hit since the very early part of my fitting. Very nice flight, launch seemed really good.

The edge out past the toe, is that "below" the crown a tad, like an aerodynamic groove maybe, or just a color difference? Makes me think back to an Adams driver I played. I never had a chance to try the XR in a fitting so hopefully that changes this year.

So if launch and spin are similar to the GBB, what is the main selling point of the XR line compared to the GBB? No sliding Weight?

Its really a different driver.
Different design ideas
Different price point
Less tweaking
I look at XR line as Longer & Faster
I look at Big Bertha line as Heritage and Fitting

Now those are just my two ways and obviously not the way Callaway describes them. Both will get you where you want to go, but they do it differently. They look, sound and feel differently, so for a lot of golfers, it will come down to preference as well as price point.

Price point to start.

I loved the XR when I tested it last Spring, but just wasn't in a position to buy. This has definitely caught my eye. I like the graphics on the crown, and dig the aerodynamics as a means to increase club head speed. Looking forward to giving this a hit soon.

Back