How do YOU make your Tuna (or chicken) salad sandwich?

Agent Jay

Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
So I was making my lunch this morning and I decided to make a chicken salad sandwich. Which got me wondering, how do others make it?

For me? I'm just a basic version for both.

Mayo....or Miracle Whip, whichever is on hand. I've used mustard for a base before, though I prefer MW. Then I throw in pickle relish and a dash of garlic salt. Then top the sandwich with a piece of iceberg lettuce.

So, my question is. You're making a tuna (or chicken) salad sandwich for yourself. What all you do put in it, and on or on ?

I am mustard person on mine

I do the mayo, celery, salt/pepper, and a bit of relish.

Mayo, celery, dill pickle, onion, chopped up hard boiled egg are the basics for mine. I'll add in spices, peppers, etc sometimes, as well.

Okay this is in my wheel house.
First off, chicken salad should not be from chicken in a can. It should be cooked chicken.
Then you need to cut up some green onion.
Cut up a small amount of celery.
Mincing works for both of the above.
1 Tbs of ground mustard
Then Mayo to a certain look
Then a pinch of salt and half a pinch of black pepper.

Miracle Whip should never be used.

I agree wholeheartedly with the mincing. I hate when they have huge chunks of elements that should support the flavour, not dictate.

Ask my wife....

Mayo (or mustard if I am trying to be healthier), diced celery, diced onion, a pinch of S&P and call it a day. I do like to add a dill pickle to my tuna sandwiches, but I don't mix it into the salad, it goes on top with a slice of tomato and lettuce.

For chicken salad, there is no pickle, just tomato and lettuce.

So I was making my lunch this morning and I decided to make a chicken salad sandwich. Which got me wondering, how do others make it?

For me? I'm just a basic version for both.

Mayo....or Miracle Whip, whichever is on hand. I've used mustard for a base before, though I prefer MW. Then I throw in pickle relish and a dash of garlic salt. Then top the sandwich with a piece of iceberg lettuce.

So, my question is. You're making a tuna (or chicken) salad sandwich for yourself. What all you do put in it, and on or on ?

For tuna it's mayo based but I add mustard as well. Pickle relish and salt & pepper. Basic but good.

For chicken salad it's mayo based, celery, and I throw some grapes and either pecans or almonds in as well.

Can of tuna or chicken. Mayonaise, NEVER Miracle Whip. Relish. Might put a lettuce leaf on it.

Jacqui puts in onions and other crunchy things I won't put in mine.

Never had a can of chicken, but tuna or a cooked by the wife chicken I add Mayo, a bit of celery salt and sweet relish.

Put everything together, throw it in the trash.

I'm very simple with it...as throwing together tuna salad is normally a time conscious effort for me. I like to mix 1/2 mayo and 1/2 grey poupon. I like a hint​ of mustard in a lot of dishes normally made with mayo (potato salad for example).

I'll usually have tuna with celery chopped up finely, some lettuce, and a little bit of hot peppers.

Too much, of course.

Tuna Salad: celery, onion, mayo, salt, pepper

Chicken Salad: Cooked chicken, celery, onion, mayo, craisins (or diced grapes), salt, pepper

I don't eat either of these things, so I will have to abstain.

I don't eat either of these things, so I will have to abstain.
I figured you'd manufacture one of these while doing some one-armed push ups...

the greatest chicken salad i've ever had is in homewood, alabama at a little place called o'carrs. i won't link to the recipe because all i could find were click-bait websites, but it's basically cooked white meat chicken breast, mayo, sour cream, dill, onion powder, red wine vinegar, milk, pecans, and grapes. smother some good, soft wheat bread with this deliciousness and top with crisp lettuce and a ripe tomato. in my college days it was two of these sandwiches, a side of fruit, and a banana milkshake. we tried this recipe at home, and it was just ok. but in the restaurant it's incredible. and the service at the restaurant is about the worst you'll ever get in your life!

Haha just joking around, have you seen those memes? They are pretty funny

I TRIED to find a good meme to link to my reply, but couldn't find one I liked in a quick manor! lol

I am a simple mayo and tuna. I do like a little celery and and salt and pepper mixed in. Some lettuce and tomato to go with it.

I love adding red grapes cut into 8ths...along with mayo, hard boiled eggs, onion and pickles!

Back