How do you choose your golf ball?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
We all have different ways of choosing the equipment that we play. The same can be said for choosing a golf ball. Some go by brand, color, price, or a specific technical aspect. So my question to you is what is at the top of your list for criteria when it comes to selecting a new golf ball for you.

Number 1: stopping ability into a green (including short game pitches)
Number 2: price
Number 3: dispersion off the tee

e5 performs fantastically for me as a winter ball and I transition into the B330-RX (great deals lately) for the warmer months.

Price plays a role somewhat but I'm usually comfortable spending under $40/doz. A few of the big things for me are feel while putting, feel off of the tee, ball flight characteristics and durability

Sound/Feel off the putter face and spin on short iron shots to the green. I've found that the Callaway Chrome Soft performs well for me in both respects. Actually the Hex Chrome was probably a bit better for me but they don't make those anymore. As far as color I can go white or yellow but seem to prefer yellow as I can see them better when looking for them in grass and can track them better in the air.

1) Price
2) Price
3) Urethane
4) Price

Just being honest. Its why I loved seeing the Chrome Soft come into the market, that is a ball type and price point I can get down with.

I hate to say it, but lately it's been price, I should put more time and effort into testing and finding the best deal, but price is certainly a major factor in the last few dozen I've purchased.

1) Price
2) Price
3) Urethane
4) Price

Just being honest. Its why I loved seeing the Chrome Soft come into the market, that is a ball type and price point I can get down with.
I used to be the same way until i ended up with the Project a

Price is a big key for me. I think that's why I'm in love with the Chrome Soft. It's not ProV1 expensive, but preforms as good as or better than them at a lower price point.

Outside of price, feel, spin and durability are my key factors.

I used to be the same way until i ended up with the Project a

I forgot to add

5) No Gawd-Awful Seam

I hated that about those, otherwise a solid golf ball.

Number 1: stopping ability into a green (including short game pitches)
Number 2: price
Number 3: dispersion off the tee

I'm with my man cookie here, those are the same factors I look for, in that order. Also I was BFit into the Bridgestone E5, which I game during the warmer months and I switch to the RXS in the colder months (at least that's what I've done this year)

1: is it discounted to under 25$ a dozen?
2: what are THPers saying about it

1. Price
2. Have I played it before
3. What reviews can I read up here about it.

How much is a 100pc bucket of them on a used golf balls site?

Feel.

Sad truth, but there it is. I lose a LOT of golf balls. I buy them by bucket. I bought 2 buckets last season. I've still got most of the 2nd bucket I bought. I typically buy Calloway balls, cuz I like the feel of them.

1. Dispersion off the driver
2. Spin around the greens
3. Price
4. Reviews

1. Feel off of the irons/wedges
2. Feel off of the putter
3. Stopping ability

Price is of no concern.

Honestly I play Titleist for a couple of reasons.

Our course stocks Titleist, and I get a few dozen free every year.
I also get a discount on anything more I need, so I can restock when needed.

I've tried all the balls we stock and chose the one(s) that I like the best. For me it is the NXT Tour-S, although I like the Velocity as well. I tried the ProV line but they just don't do it for me.

1. Feel
2. Performance
3. Durability

B330-RX works for me even though the regular price is a little high. Isn't Chrome Soft the same price?

I chose my current ball after finding one on the first hole and played the rest of 18 with it. Despite the dumb name I liked how it performed and being able to find them at $2 a ball makes it pretty easy to stick with. I have a hard time spending more than $30 a dozen price is a factor for me.

It's more psychological for me. The last thought I want creeping in before a tough shot is losing an expensive golf ball.

1. Spin around the green
2. Price

The e5 and I had some great times, but I've loved the SR2 in the year or so that I've had it in play. I feel like I should love the Chrome Soft, but for some reason I've never played good golf with it. I don't see any big differences, but for whatever reason my scores show it's not the ball for me. Could be a mental thing.

1) Urethane
2) Good around the greens for feel and ability to stop / spin
3) Feel / distance control putting
4) Durability
5) Price (if over $40 new I buy last years model)

1) what was gifted to me.
2) what I have found.
3) what I have most of
4) what I like.

Really, at this point in my golf career, I can play any ball that comes around, there are just some that I prefer. Price? I generally do not buy golf balls anyway, so really not a concern. I find more high priced golf balls than low, fwiw....

#1 Urethane cover
#2 3 or 4 piece construction
#3 how it feels off of the putter

We all have different ways of choosing the equipment that we play. The same can be said for choosing a golf ball. Some go by brand, color, price, or a specific technical aspect. So my question to you is what is at the top of your list for criteria when it comes to selecting a new golf ball for you.

Well, Mellowman Elliot from Bridgestone told me to game the B330 a few years ago and I listened.. Everything else is trial and error. Seems to work well, having buddies share a couple in trade from their dozens.

#1 - Performance
#2 - Durability
#3 - Price I guess

I'm a high spin player that plays on pretty fast green so my main criteria is having a ball that doesn't spin too much off of mid to short irons and suck back 30 feet. That eliminates about half of the super premium balls. Second would be durability. Distance is a non-factor as all the balls now are plenty long.

I look for a urethane ball that isn't too soft and/or launch too high, that performs well for me around the green, and holds its line well in general. I was playing primarily the B330 or similar balls, but with recent equipment changes have found that B330-S or similar seem to be better for me.

Back