75-85 yards out: What do you do?

It all depends upon where the pin is. If it's in the back, I'd play a lower shot with either my 58 or 53, allowing the ball to take a good hop and check up close to the pin. If it's in the front, I'd want to hit a nice 58 with spin and carry the ball hole-high.

I have a swing, probably a 2/3 swing, I use across multiple wedges. 75 yards will be the 54*, 85 yards will be the 50. Oddly enough, I could also swing a 58* wedge full swing for 85 yards, but its usually not the best option.

~Rock

Either choke down on my GW, or full swing my 55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of right now, I grab my 50° set AW and simply eyeball it.

As of three weeks ago, it was some sort of 1/2 or 3/4 55° shot that NEVER WORKED.

Probably a 1/2 to 3/4 54* here. Getting closer to a full swing with a 58 and I really don't like making that swing.

depends on the lie and the green, but it is either an easy swing of the 56* on a full swing setup, or more recently a dead hand, back in the stance pitch with the 50* (Courtesy of Dave Pelz). The latter is a new shot for me and has been easy to control distance and put a bunch of stopping power on.

1/2 54 or 3/4 60* still trying to figure out which is better - probably the 54

Partial with 58°

If the pin is up front,hit a half 60. Middle or back pin a lower 54*

I pretty much use my 54 for this shot exclusively.

Partial with the 54 if I need to fly it there... Maybe my 60 if I'm feeling bold. If I have room to work in front, I've been trying more shots with my 50 and even my PW.

I had been taking partial swings with my 58* wedge, but started experimenting with my 50* as another option. I move ball back or forward in my stance depending on the flight I want. It seems that I have less margin for error with this club. My 50* wedge is a Vokey SM6 and it might be my favorite club in the bag - full shots, pitches, chippig, etc.

I don't know why I didn't consider using this club for these 75-80 yard shots, but it works really well. I am working on my muscle memory to really dial in how hard I need to swing for each yardage.

I do this exact same thing ^^^^^^^^ with my 50* Vokey SM6 as well.

56 degree with a partial swing every time.

GW choke down with an abbreviated swing. Much more consistent turf interaction for me than a conventional wedge.

Without getting into details about other obstacles to consider, my instinct is to knock down my 54 that will land just short of the pin, take a hop and stop. I feel more controlled flighting things down and very much enjoy that shot.

54*, open it up and 3/4 swing

This a pretty much full 60* for me. Goes around 75-80 yards.

That distance is a perfect 3/4 58* for me. That's actually one of my favorite distances to be. If I can get in that range, I feel really confident that I can get it pretty close.

GW choke down with an abbreviated swing. Much more consistent turf interaction for me than a conventional wedge.

Agreed, I have tried the full swing 56 degree wedge and its almost always disastrous. I pull out my GW and just have way more confidence with it.

This is my favorite distance to play from. It allows for a couple of different types of shots. I can pull out my 60* and swing 90% which will fly about 85 yards and spin back 3-6 feet. I can use my 56* way back in my stance and hit a little low dart in there which will one hop and stop. If I really want to spin one back I'll get steep on my 56* and swing about 75%.

75-80 yards is a full swing 54* for me. One of my most accurate shots in my arsenal. (which isnt saying much lol!)

I had been taking partial swings with my 58* wedge, but started experimenting with my 50* as another option. I move ball back or forward in my stance depending on the flight I want. It seems that I have less margin for error with this club. My 50* wedge is a Vokey SM6 and it might be my favorite club in the bag - full shots, pitches, chippig, etc.

I don't know why I didn't consider using this club for these 75-80 yard shots, but it works really well. I am working on my muscle memory to really dial in how hard I need to swing for each yardage.

Interesting question....I was just thinking about it myself, and wanted to start a thread to ask it. Yeah, it's a tough distance for me. It's not a full swing with my 56*. But that distance has been getting longer. It used to be 100 yards, now it's up to 110-115. So, I'm hitting my shortest club longer than I used to. I did get a 60* wedge, but I only use it for like 40 yards and in.....but I really just primarily use it for around the greens.

Anyway....it has occurred to me that it's not only the full verses partial swing issue....but also the tempo/rate of swing. When I slow down the tempo of the swing, as well as reduce the backswing, I can shorten that distance down to 65 - 80....but yeah.....it's hard. I often find myself on the back of the green cause I hit a tad too far.

Dig up approximately 4 pounds of turf with my 58...walk 10 feet forward and hit a perfect 58 to 5 feet. Lip out the putt.

I'm very familiar with this scenario...

Back