75-85 yards out: What do you do?

weeicemon

Reaction score
Handicap
I had been taking partial swings with my 58* wedge, but started experimenting with my 50* as another option. I move ball back or forward in my stance depending on the flight I want. It seems that I have less margin for error with this club. My 50* wedge is a Vokey SM6 and it might be my favorite club in the bag - full shots, pitches, chippig, etc.

I don't know why I didn't consider using this club for these 75-80 yard shots, but it works really well. I am working on my muscle memory to really dial in how hard I need to swing for each yardage.

That's usually my 50* with a shoulder to shoulder swing. I may use the 54* if I want to bring it in a little higher.

Front pin I'll use my 56* full swing, middle or back pin 3/4 50* and flight it down.

Depends on where the trouble is. If I have to go up and over a bunker, or water, I take my 58 and do a 3/4ish swing, or just choke down on the grip. If there is room to work in front of the green, I take my 50 and try to hit a real long pitch shot that can bounce on or hit the front of the green and chase. If it's windy, I'll use 54 instead of 58 for the first shot described.

I'd be hitting a smooth 56* from 75-85 yards. It is one of my favorite yardages.

If I'm in the fairway I'd be using my 60* lob wedge, out of the rough would be an easier 56* sand wedge. I'm working on less than full swings with all of my wedges.

3/4 swing with my 56 degree wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the hole and pin layout. If the pin is back and the front of the green is open, I'll hit a half swing 50* and let it release a little. If it's a front pin, I'll hit a 3/4 swing 56. And if there's a bunker I need to fly, or some other hazard, I'll hit little more than 3/4 swing 60.

Depends on where the trouble is. If I have to go up and over a bunker, or water, I take my 58 and do a 3/4ish swing, or just choke down on the grip. If there is room to work in front of the green, I take my 50 and try to hit a real long pitch shot that can bounce on or hit the front of the green and chase. If it's windy, I'll use 54 instead of 58 for the first shot described.

I'm with Dean here. I play a 50, 56, 60. It all depends on the pin placement and trouble. I've learned over the years I have a much better chance at making a great shot with a full swing. So I default to my 60 in most cases for this yardage. If I soft swing a club, the chances go up that I pull it or push it, etc. I do like to hit knock down shots with my 56, 50 if I have a back pin with no trouble in front. I also like run up shots if the fairway is firm.

Had a few of these situations in my rounds recently.

From 88 yards out I took a 3/4 swing with my 54 and stuck the pin. Later in the round I tried a softer shot with my 58 and flew the green. But 100% of the time it'll be either one of these two wedges.

I'm with Dean here. I play a 50, 56, 60. It all depends on the pin placement and trouble. I've learned over the years I have a much better chance at making a great shot with a full swing. So I default to my 60 in most cases for this yardage. If I soft swing a club, the chances go up that I pull it or push it, etc. I do like to hit knock down shots with my 56, 50 if I have a back pin with no trouble in front. I also like run up shots if the fairway is firm.

I'm a big fan of having options in these types of situations and truth be told, I feel comfortable with all of them. Green condition(firm or receptive) also plays a role.

3/4 swing with 58*

Duff the first swing. Stick the second swing to 4 feet. Make the par putt.

Typically play a 3/4 swing 58° wedge. Have been experimenting some with a lower lofted wedge and allowing for some roll out but with the smallish greens at my home course, that type shot would usually have to be landed short of the green and am just not comfortable with the less predictable bounce and roll that that affords.

75 I may full swing my lob wedge, but typically 75-85 would either be a held off 54 or 50*, depending on pin location and how much green I have to work with.

had this problem last year, and then bought a 62 degree wedge. Problem solved. I just wasn't accurate enough with a 3/4 swing with my 58.

Choked down PW, most likely. If I'm hitting short that day, less of a choke down. 3/4 or full swing, either way, once again dependent on how I'm hitting that day. Aiming for the pin general area.

Dig up approximately 4 pounds of turf with my 58...walk 10 feet forward and hit a perfect 58 to 5 feet. Lip out the putt.

Usually a 3/4 gap wedge. Anything 60 yards and in is either my Sand wedge (56 degree) or Lob Wedge depending on lie.

Nice smooth swing with my 54!!

This distance is just a little too far for my 58. If I try and take these shots on then I am having to muscle it and that never works out well. So 54 for me with a 3/4 swing depending on trouble and conditions.

Totally depends on the lie, what obstacles I have, where the pin is located, how the greens have been running and so on. Lots of variable to consider.

Let's say straight away, line up and shoot... it's a shoulder to shoulder with my 60°

3/4 60 degree wedge

Back