Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, the putter is to blame. I say time to buy yourself something new and shiny. Or, at least, have someone look to see if you are playing the right putter for your swing. For example, I play a small mallet much better than a blade. The blade style just doesn't match my eye for alignment.

I hate to admit this but I have 4 putters. :bananadance:I'm currently using a Maxfli mallet and have switched off and on with that and a Nike Method Concept (big 'D' shape). I always thought they were too hot off of that so I took it out of the bag. The other two are Maxfli's with the same shape but with different alignment aids on them. They are not blades. Next week I might put one of them in and see how it goes. I also very rarely lift and place the ball with an alignment mark. That might be an option down the road too. It saves the back without bending over too much. I just got done playing 18 and carded a 97 and that included 3 blowout holes. One was a 4 putt affair. My score probably would have spilled over 100 because people were picking my ball up on the short ones. The phantom stroke counted but the agony of missing a few of them plus the added stroke would have put a dagger into the round. I'm going back out by myself and just might try the Nike out again. I do know that the greens are way hotter today than yesterday.

I hate to admit this but I have 4 putters. :bananadance:I'm currently using a Maxfli mallet and have switched off and on with that and a Nike Method Concept (big 'D' shape). I always thought they were too hot off of that so I took it out of the bag. The other two are Maxfli's with the same shape but with different alignment aids on them. They are not blades. Next week I might put one of them in and see how it goes. I also very rarely lift and place the ball with an alignment mark. That might be an option down the road too. It saves the back without bending over too much. I just got done playing 18 and carded a 97 and that included 3 blowout holes. One was a 4 putt affair. My score probably would have spilled over 100 because people were picking my ball up on the short ones. The phantom stroke counted but the agony of missing a few of them plus the added stroke would have put a dagger into the round. I'm going back out by myself and just might try the Nike out again. I do know that the greens are way hotter today than yesterday.
Do you have the opportunity to take them to a putting green to spend a few hours there? Also, try moving your position on the grip, you may be standing a little too tall or too bent over. There's a crap-ton of different things you can tweak. Just remember: eyes over the ball!

Do you have the opportunity to take them to a putting green to spend a few hours there? Also, try moving your position on the grip, you may be standing a little too tall or too bent over. There's a crap-ton of different things you can tweak. Just remember: eyes over the ball!

I have full access to the putting green at the club. There shuld be no reason why I should not be out there testing them. One of these putters should do the trick. The Maxfli mallet has the jumbo Super Stroke on it. The other two Maxxies are a mixture of stock grip and Super Stroke mid slim. The Nike is also stock gripped.

I have full access to the putting green at the club. There shuld be no reason why I should not be out there testing them. One of these putters should do the trick. The Maxfli mallet has the jumbo Super Stroke on it. The other two Maxxies are a mixture of stock grip and Super Stroke mid slim. The Nike is also stock gripped.
Well, it will be nice this weekend, so, as your unpaid putting coach, I recommend you spend a couple of hours this weekend deciding which one is best. Then have a nice lunch at the clubhouse, and then spend a couple more hours confirming your findings. Do all the classics, like the circle drill, the 3-5-7 foot drill, and lagging from 20.

Came close to breaking 100 yesterday... Ended my day with a 102 .. Shot 54 on the front and 48 on the back..

In the front nine.. I lost 3 balls, two of which I seen hit the ground and bounce just off the fairway, got to the area and couldn't find my ball... I looked for both a pretty long time and the guy I was playing with was horrible at eye'ing my ball for me from the tee-box.. Not blaming him but it helps when you have an eye on your ball for you as you hit.. The 3rd ball was a second shot from a excellent drive.. shanked it right into water that was nowhere in the vicinity of danger between me and the green.. The rest was a few 3-putts, and inaccurate approach shots. The back nine I didn't lose any balls and was consistent out the tee box... Had a blow-up par 3 where I scored a 6 ... Overall, I am consistently scoring in the 100 - 105 range and I am continuing to improve on avoiding 3-putts and I've been reaching more greens in two than I have in the past.

Rough day today. Played 18 and unfortunately I seem to have lost the scorecard but I don't really need it to know I was struggling.
Once again, too many mishits both with the driver and with the irons. Got to get those silly mistakes out of my game. Other than that it's work on shots 125 and in that will make the biggest impact on my scorecard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came close to breaking 100 yesterday... Ended my day with a 102 .. Shot 54 on the front and 48 on the back..

In the front nine.. I lost 3 balls, two of which I seen hit the ground and bounce just off the fairway, got to the area and couldn't find my ball... I looked for both a pretty long time and the guy I was playing with was horrible at eye'ing my ball for me from the tee-box.. Not blaming him but it helps when you have an eye on your ball for you as you hit.. The 3rd ball was a second shot from a excellent drive.. shanked it right into water that was nowhere in the vicinity of danger between me and the green.. The rest was a few 3-putts, and inaccurate approach shots. The back nine I didn't lose any balls and was consistent out the tee box... Had a blow-up par 3 where I scored a 6 ... Overall, I am consistently scoring in the 100 - 105 range and I am continuing to improve on avoiding 3-putts and I've been reaching more greens in two than I have in the past.
Hey! That sounds like my round!

Rough day today. Played 18 and unfortunately I seem to have lost the scorecard but I don't really need it to know I was struggling.
Once again, too many mishits both with the driver and with the irons. Got to get those silly mistakes out of my game. Other than that it's work on shots 125 and in that will make the biggest impact on my scorecard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#own125

Beautiful day, great time, hit some bombs off the tee (well, bombs for a short knocker like me).
Made some dumb decisions in the game management department, made a few bad shots, missed some putts, shot a 50/53.
My wedge game deserted me, costing me at least 5-6 strokes from chunking a greenside shot and going 2-4 feet (twice), or blading it 20 feet past the hole (causing me to 3-putt three times).
Ah, well, on to the next round!

Beautiful day, great time, hit some bombs off the tee (well, bombs for a short knocker like me).
Made some dumb decisions in the game management department, made a few bad shots, missed some putts, shot a 50/53.
My wedge game deserted me, costing me at least 5-6 strokes from chunking a greenside shot and going 2-4 feet (twice), or blading it 20 feet past the hole (causing me to 3-putt three times).
Ah, well, on to the next round!
let me know if you want to play big met when there is a hot deal, I think I can get you to break a 100

Shot al 48/52 today. The good news is, I was hitting the driver very well. One of my long-time golfing buddies said it was the best driving round he's ever seen me play. (With this tragic disclaimer: I topped my first 2 drives on the first hole into the water about 15 yards in front of the tee. Lol.)

The better news is I parred my nemesis hole, a first for me.

Need to keep plugging away, my scores are creeping lower and lower. A couple of blow up holes, and some dicey wedge play, were the main culprits.

The wedge and putter are going to be featured in this weeks practice. As a lark, on thr first nine hole, I went left hand low, and it worked not too bad. On thr 10th, it went south. So, for the rest of yhe round, back to my normal style. I won't totally discount it, because I hit some nice putts with it, but will have to get much more practice time in bedore I make the chang.

Last edited:
With this tragic disclaimer: I topped my first 2 drives on the first hole into the water about 15 yards in front of the tee.

I routinely hit my first tee shot somewhere unplayable. Surprisingly, on my first tee shot last week, I drove the green on a short par 4. Was pretty happy until I four-putted... :)
The rest of round was rather atrocious.

I routinely hit my first tee shot somewhere unplayable. Surprisingly, on my first tee shot last week, I drove the green on a short par 4. Was pretty happy until I four-putted... :)
The rest of round was rather atrocious.
I had an 8 on #10 yesterday, I was on in three........:(

Had a good back 9 on saturday but the front was so awfull that I stoped counting my score.. shot a 46 on the back.. was probably close to a 60 on the front... if I can find the same consistency I had in the final 7 holes (during wich I got 2 pars and a birdie) I am confident to break the 100's real soon.

You guys want an almost sure fire way to break 100? Your goal is to play for bogey on every hole. Trust me it will still be a challenge.

1. Play from the 5800 - 6000 yd tees. This will keep you from those horrendously long par 5s and par 3s that are over 170 yds. >20 HC shouldn't be playing 190 yd par 3s.
2. Tee off with your 6 iron. Most of you probably can hit this pretty well. Even if you don't hit a particularly good shot, on most holes you'll stay out of major trouble, and you shouldn't be hunting for balls in the woods (which results in a chip out for a wasted stroke or more), or losing balls for a stroke and distance penalty (or 2 strokes and a guesstimate drop) which pretty much results in an automatic double bogey or worse.
3. Hit a 7 iron or shorter on your second shot. Just be aware of where the trouble is, like bunkers, hazards. Again, this club will keep you out of trouble even if you don't hit a particularly good shot.
4. If you have to chip or pitch up onto the green do it and get close.
5. Putt it in

You're probably getting a lot of double bogeys. Everyone gets double bogeys. Also everyone three putts. What this will do is stop the blow up holes. You'll probably get more bogeys than doubles. If you do that, you'll break 100.

Inaccurate approach shots - if you're pin high in regulation, that's fine. That's a nGIR. Chip on for an up and down for par.

My driver has cost me 12s and 14s in otherwise decent rounds.

You guys want an almost sure fire way to break 100? Your goal is to play for bogey on every hole. Trust me it will still be a challenge.

1. Play from the 5800 - 6000 yd tees. This will keep you from those horrendously long par 5s and par 3s that are over 170 yds. >20 HC shouldn't be playing 190 yd par 3s.
2. Tee off with your 6 iron. Most of you probably can hit this pretty well. Even if you don't hit a particularly good shot, on most holes you'll stay out of major trouble, and you shouldn't be hunting for balls in the woods (which results in a chip out for a wasted stroke or more), or losing balls for a stroke and distance penalty (or 2 strokes and a guesstimate drop) which pretty much results in an automatic double bogey or worse.
3. Hit a 7 iron or shorter on your second shot. Just be aware of where the trouble is, like bunkers, hazards. Again, this club will keep you out of trouble even if you don't hit a particularly good shot.
5. Putt it in

You're probably getting a lot of double bogeys. Everyone gets double bogeys. Also everyone three putts. What this will do is stop the blow up holes. You'll probably get more bogeys than doubles. If you do that, you'll break 100.

Inaccurate approach shots - if you're pin high in regulation, that's fine. That's a nGIR. Chip on for an up and down for par.

Like many before you in this thread, your recipe makes sense. The only problem is that if we were all capable of doing all the things you suggest, we wouldn't be shooting over 100 in the first place. Steps 1-3 are fine, but steps 4 and 5 are where you lose me. If I could "chip or pitch up onto the green and get it close" and "putt it in", I'd probably shooting in the low 90s at the highest.

The problem (or at least A problem) is that I can do neither of those things. I flub chips, blade them over the green, miss two foot putts, and have all kinds of other problems on/around the greens.

If getting off the tee were a person's only issue, your formula would work perfectly. For most of us struggling to get consistently below the century mark, though, it's only one of many trouble spots.

5. Putt it in

Now, where's the fun in playing smart?

Edit: To actually respond to this (which is a great post), my "goal" is 5 shots per hole. this gives me a 90 if done. I'm shooting bogey 20%, double 60%, and other 20 %. The trend is creeping in the right direction.

Last edited:
Granted i'm a bogey golfer, but this season I haven't cracked the century mark.

1) My last round my driver went wild
2) My last round I couldn't make decent contact with the ball on the front 9 with anything except a 9 iron until the 8th hole.
3) I finally decided to "go with what works."

I left the driver and anything resembling a wood in the bag. This included the rinky dinks. I played straight irons the rest of the way.

8th hole - par.
9th hole - DB - I landed in the bunker and took two shots to get out - two putted
10th hole - 4 iron fine. duffed my 5 iron trying to hit a 180 yarder. 9 iron short. chip on. two putt for bogey.
11th hole - 4 iron bullet - par.
12th hole - 5 iron off tee - pushed into woods - retee - double bogey.
13th hole - 4 iron + 5 iron then skulled the GW into the foot long grass behind the green a foot from the OB chain link fence. Would be two unplayable lies to get out of there, so I tried to "hack it out" with my 64. I couldn't get anything resembling a full swing. Ended up with a 10. Should have taken the two unplayable lies and the resulting double bogey.

I won't bore you with the rest, but if I'd made a better decision on the 13th hole I would have ended up with a 47. I had a putt for birdie on 15 that I missed and made par. Another putt for birdie on 17 that ended up with a three putt.

Granted i'm a bogey golfer, but this season I haven't cracked the century mark.

1) My last round my driver went wild
2) My last round I couldn't make decent contact with the ball on the front 9 with anything except a 9 iron until the 8th hole.
3) I finally decided to "go with what works."

I left the driver and anything resembling a wood in the bag. This included the rinky dinks. I played straight irons the rest of the way.

8th hole - par.
9th hole - DB - I landed in the bunker and took two shots to get out - two putted
10th hole - 4 iron fine. duffed my 5 iron trying to hit a 180 yarder. 9 iron short. chip on. two putt for bogey.
11th hole - 4 iron bullet - par.
12th hole - 5 iron off tee - pushed into woods - retee - double bogey.
13th hole - 4 iron + 5 iron then skulled the GW into the foot long grass behind the green a foot from the OB chain link fence. Would be two unplayable lies to get out of there, so I tried to "hack it out" with my 64. I couldn't get anything resembling a full swing. Ended up with a 10. Should have taken the two unplayable lies and the resulting double bogey.

I won't bore you with the rest, but if I'd made a better decision on the 13th hole I would have ended up with a 47. I had a putt for birdie on 15 that I missed and made par. Another putt for birdie on 17 that ended up with a three putt.

This is a testament to the fact that the "just use irons" plan to break 100 is far from foolproof. Even somebody who has (presumably) played plenty of sub-100 golf will mis-hit irons some. Those of us who haven't done that will likely do it even more frequently.

What ITR is saying is good advice, however, it always boils down to how we are swinging that day. I do think that using a club that you can hit consistently with even decent distance will help avoid the blow up holes. Is it the only way to do it? Nah, but it is a pretty smart way to go about it.

I should note that the 12th hole dictated the club choice of 5 iron due to the 70 degree dogleg. It was a tight fairway, too. I just pushed the shot right. Correct distance. The provisional went where I wanted. Couldn't find the original played the provisional and got a 4 + S&D.

Others in my foursome hit either irons or rinky dinks. One hit a FW trying to do a hard draw around the dogleg and lost the ball in the woods on the left.

We are not immune from making bad decisions. There are times I wish I had a caddie. "Julie, you might want to take a couple of unplayable lies here." "No, I can hack it out." "Seriously? You could end up in worse shape."

And have you noticed that when we're having a blow up hole, we usually go brain dead at the same time? This compounds the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back