Would you rather....

I would rather throw up on my shoes and get a team victory. Winning feels so much better than playing awesome and losing. Moving on from a team event you can work hard for a better outcome the next time but you will never get another chance at that team win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking from experience now, I'd rather play well and lose. I struggled Sunday morning and didn't feel great about it, and we lost our match. Saturday afternoon I played well and we won. Sunday I played well and lost, but I still felt great about my performance.

In the end all that matters is the experience and how you contributed.

I have played like crap in outings before and it sucks, but still managed to contribute a couple shots or putts. To be a part of a winning team would trump any bad feelings about my play. Then you could laugh and toast to "hey remember that one hole you actually showed up on?"

I would certainly take a team win that somehow overcame my personal poor play as the first option...but in the various team events I've played in, I can certainly take solace in playing well even if the team didn't win. That is at least the memory I take from the two Morgan Cups I played in.

The Gauntlet last year where my team got smoked AND I played like crap, that is the one that really gets my goat.

It's gotta be the team winning in a team event, you go out there wanting to play your best, but even if you play your best and the team loses, it still hurts!

When all participants were chosen for the Legacy, I sent out a questionnaire to everyone. One of the questions was "Would you rather play great golf individually and lose or play poor golf and win?" Also, to add on, if your team did win, how would you feel about it? Would you still be happy? Would you feel like you didn't contribute? Curious to what everyone else would say. There is no right or wrong answer, just answer honestly. Thanks.

At first glance this seems to be a pretty easy answer: play poorly but get the team win. The rub that comes is that golf is first and foremost an individual game, and the team concept is sort of bolted on to it, rather than a team game where you have 5 or 9 or 11 moving parts, each with a different function and objective. In that aspect, playing poorly is often times hidden in the overall picture of the game itself, and that poor effort is sometimes "good enough".

In golf, (or tennis, wrestling, etc.) where individual performances are cobbled together into a team score, poor performances stand out for all to see. So, while your team may have won, the fact that one got housed 10&8 in singles, had maybe five shots used in fourball, and left his partner hanging all day in alt. shot is out there front and center. In short, if I were "that guy", I would be happy for my team, but I would take a much smaller measure of pride in that team win knowing I contributed basically nothing to the outcome. It would be much less fun to listen to the stories of great shots and heroics in the post match celebration with nothing of my own to share.

I am always willing to lose as long as I know I left it all on the course. If I play great golf and lose, that means my opponent had a banner day and I always willing to lose to good golf. Losing does not feel good but losing to good golf can be fun.

Playing poor and sneaking in a win is kind of cheap. I have never felt good about playing poorly and watching my opponent struggle even more.

In the last MC, I tangled with Jimmy and my team lost. My match was fun and tight to the very end. Officially the match was called on 17 and I was one up. Jimmy deserved a chance to square it on 18 because we both fought hard to get to that point. He squared the match and I felt greta about it. My team lost and I was very pleased with the contribution I made to my team.

I would rather have the team win. Even if I played horrible, and I would feel like crap for that, I would hope I contributed something off the course to help out my team. So much more to this team event than swinging a club. Being able to help someone play their best to get the win also counts for something eventhough no points are rewarded.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I would rather have the team win. Even if I played horrible, and I would feel like crap for that, I would hope I contributed something off the course to help out my team. So much more to this team event than swinging a club. Being able to help someone play their best to get the win also counts for something eventhough no points are rewarded.

I think the last part is even more important in a team event than swinging a club. Off the course and knowing you have guys to go to battle with is by far the most important thing. You can account for far more points by touching a teammate and helping him play his best than you can by just having a great individual match.

This is a great topic with no right or wrong really great to see the different responses.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

That was the hardest part about making pairings. Not even the golf stuff. Meshing 2 personalities well together and guys that compliment each other. Mike nailed the Greggdrews / Rambler pairing for sure. You guys went out and had fun and played some great complimentary golf.

If it's a team competition, I'd rather play poor golf and win because that means as a combined effort, we did our job. That's what team golf is about....others there to hold the team up if they're down. If it's an individual competition, I'd rather play great golf and lose. I have no shame in playing well and losing if the other guy just flat out beat me.

When all participants were chosen for the Legacy, I sent out a questionnaire to everyone. One of the questions was "Would you rather play great golf individually and lose or play poor golf and win?" Also, to add on, if your team did win, how would you feel about it? Would you still be happy? Would you feel like you didn't contribute? Curious to what everyone else would say. There is no right or wrong answer, just answer honestly. Thanks.

When you mentioned this, I really had to put some thought into it. The last two big events I played in, I grinded like crazy on my range for MONTHS leading up to the event -- It would have been an incredible disappointment to show up and suddenly not be a consistent golfer for an entire weekend... even if my team won. But on the other hand, going 3-0 in events and still not winning also sucks. A lot.

I think I could accept losing personally and my team still winning the event -- Pretty easily in fact. I just don't think the idea of playing poorly resonates with months of preparation -- After all, that's WHY we prepare.

Team event, win every time. I'd probably feel a little guilty internally, but that's because I'm a headcase. :D Always looking for the win regardless personally. I'd rather play well and win, but given the scenario I'd gladly take a team win over a good personal performance.

I would much rather play poorly and have the team win. Still, can't lie and say playing poorly wouldn't eat at me a bit. I believe everyone wants to think they contributed to a victory...

When you mentioned this, I really had to put some thought into it. The last two big events I played in, I grinded like crazy on my range for MONTHS leading up to the event -- It would have been an incredible disappointment to show up and suddenly not be a consistent golfer for an entire weekend... even if my team won. But on the other hand, going 3-0 in events and still not winning also sucks. A lot.

I think I could accept losing personally and my team still winning the event -- Pretty easily in fact. I just don't think the idea of playing poorly resonates with months of preparation -- After all, that's WHY we prepare.

Losing individualy does not have to equate to playing poor golf. Sometimes you are just beat by a guy that was better that day. If it makes the team win, in any fashion, its what the goal in the end is. Hard to call something the most incredible team event, when the #1 goal internally is not the team winning, but individual. And I say that not directed at you or anybody else.

Reminds me of the movie White Men Cant Jump. Woody's character says "You would rather look good and lose, then look bad and win". Im certainly not saying there is a right or wrong answer here, but for those that willfully say that they long to be a part of a team, and win and lose as a team, because of the atmosphere, its certainly an interesting street on the map.

I'll take the team win every time.

Team golf is about the team. Give me the team win everyday and twice on Sundays. I'm sure I'd be bummed at myself for not performing, but it'd be easy to get over it with the joys of victory!

Losing individualy does not have to equate to playing poor golf. Sometimes you are just beat by a guy that was better that day. If it makes the team win, in any fashion, its what the goal in the end is. Hard to call something the most incredible team event, when the #1 goal internally is not the team winning, but individual. And I say that not directed at you or anybody else.

Reminds me of the movie White Men Cant Jump. Woody's character says "You would rather look good and lose, then look bad and win". Im certainly not saying there is a right or wrong answer here, but for those that willfully say that they long to be a part of a team, and win and lose as a team, because of the atmosphere, its certainly an interesting street on the map.

That's exactly what I mean, actually. The original question wording used the term 'play poor golf' which is why I felt the need to expand on my response. I'd gladly lose to great golf and win as a team vs win every match and lose as a team.

That's exactly what I mean, actually. The original question wording used the term 'play poor golf' which is why I felt the need to expand on my response. I'd gladly lose to great golf and win as a team vs win every match and lose as a team.

Me too. I would also gladly shoot 268 and lose every match if it meant my team won. In some fashion, no matter the round, every golfer is helping the team.

I am always willing to lose as long as I know I left it all on the course. If I play great golf and lose, that means my opponent had a banner day and I always willing to lose to good golf. Losing does not feel good but losing to good golf can be fun.

Playing poor and sneaking in a win is kind of cheap. I have never felt good about playing poorly and watching my opponent struggle even more.

In the last MC, I tangled with Jimmy and my team lost. My match was fun and tight to the very end. Officially the match was called on 17 and I was one up. Jimmy deserved a chance to square it on 18 because we both fought hard to get to that point. He squared the match and I felt greta about it. My team lost and I was very pleased with the contribution I made to my team.
The best golf experience of my life so far Panda. That match was a grind. We both took advantage of each other on the holes we needed to and there was never a dull moment. That match was so much fun, but in the end neither of us held up the trophy and that stung a bit for me, even tho I knew I did all that I could for my team.

I think the last part is even more important in a team event than swinging a club. Off the course and knowing you have guys to go to battle with is by far the most important thing. You can account for far more points by touching a teammate and helping him play his best than you can by just having a great individual match.

This is a great topic with no right or wrong really great to see the different responses.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk
This jives with what my answer would be... Team win all day, every day. After this past weekend, I firmly believe there is more to contributing than just getting a point (or half, or whatever - don't get me wrong, though, if no one is scoring, there can't be a win, I know). GnR got smacked on Saturday morning. We were both ticked about it, but there were other things we could do... So, we made it around to every single ongoing match to support our team mates. Moping around might have helped us feel a little better, but it sure as hell wasn't going to do anything for the guys still grinding on the course.
That was the hardest part about making pairings. Not even the golf stuff. Meshing 2 personalities well together and guys that compliment each other. Mike nailed the Greggdrews / Rambler pairing for sure. You guys went out and had fun and played some great complimentary golf.
The pairings really worked out well for our team. We meshed pretty well across the board, and Mike was able to find the combos where guys could play their best.

Great question, Dev. Being a team player, I think I'd take the win but being my own worst critic, I think if I played terribly it would take some of the enjoyment out of it. This applies to any sport. If I went 0-4 with 4 Ks and we won a baseball game, I'd be glad we won but pissed at my performance.

The short answer is, I'd play poorly and take the team win.

But honestly, you are not going to hear me say too many times that I played poorly. I could shoot 120, but as long as my head was in the right spot and I played my game, at the end of the round, you will hear me say "I really liked the way I played today." In fact, case in point, I played what seemed to me to be a very tough course (or at least very tough greens) and shot about 10-12 strokes over my average. And honestly, I never felt so good about my game. I played my game and the score was what it was, and I never let the score change my mindset.

I don't know, its just a mental thing. But if I play my game, no matter what the score or 'quality' of ball striking is, I will like the way I played.

With that in mind, my real answer is, I would rather lose matches but have the team win.

~Rock

Got go with the team win ... being part of a winning team multiples the excitement!

Me too. I would also gladly shoot 268 and lose every match if it meant my team won. In some fashion, no matter the round, every golfer is helping the team.
There's a big difference between losing to great play and getting carried.

Saturday morning I got carried by fairband, we lost, and I don't feel good about it.

Sunday morning I played great and got beat by lightningbolt44 who played amazing, and I feel just fine about it.

There's no way I'd feel like I contributed in a team setting if I shot a 268 and still won. That would be a trophy somebody else deserved to take home. All that is doing is risking your team losing.

Back