What type of courses do you prefer?

I like variety and as long as the conditions are good, the holes aren't gimmicky and playing partners are fun, I'll be happy.

I grew up in the Pocono area of PA and many of the courses are carved out of the forest. Tight fairways, tree lined and with greens tucked into corners. The greens were usually quick and hazards were placed giving choices and options. That's my real favorite style.

I haven't played there in 20 years and I think a return trip is in order.

I like courses that are well maintained to start. I enjoy wider landing areas off the tee along with some trees and water as well as holes that present plenty options on how to attack. I don't like gimmicky courses that force you to play a certain way.

Partial to tree lined courses with elevation. I don't enjoy courses where the neighboring holes (or at least multiple holes) are visible, prefer feeling that each hole is unique and it's own experience.

Being a shorter but straighter hitter I like courses that force you to put the ball in the fairway. I also like courses that give you options on how to play a shot such as whether to fly the ball to the green or bounce it on. I also prefer faster greens.

I don't really like one type of course better than another because parkland, desert, forest, links, swampland etc can all be done SO well.

As a general rule I like second shot courses the best. Give me decent fairways (with bunkers, water on one side - w/e) and well protected greens.
Conditions obviously have to be great.

I played a course last night that was a pretty terrible concept. Every hole lined on both sides with Fescue waist high, narrow fairways, and every green was left unprotected. Every single hole/green looked identical to each other except for one. It was a first shot course and those give me anxiety lol.

Tree lined courses that frame the holes. Huge fan of elevation changes especially raised tee boxes hitting down into fairways.The venue for NE/NY-NJ Regional Rivalry and upcoming Hype event, The Ranch comes to mind right away. Moderate green speeds are most comfortable to me. Sometimes I can zone out on links style courses because I don't really have an aim point.

I like some elevation change. Though I've seen some courses that have been built on land so severe that a few holes are just not fun. I imagine the hilly terrain is a design challenge, especially in neighborhood golf courses where the developer chooses where houses are going first.

I don't have a preference between links, parkland or desert courses. There are things I like about them all.

I personally don't mind forced carrys, but they are tough on a lot of golfers and if a course has too many of them it slows down play.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I like courses that give you options off the tee. Hit a shorter club to the dogleg or try to drive it over the corner. I like fast greens as long as they are designed for the speeds we see today. I also am a fan of target golf, as I tend to focus a bit more on every shot. Elevation change is also a lot of fun, as long as you don't have a lot of blind shots.

I love courses that use elevated tee shots. Thats probably my favorite shot to hit in golf. I prefer greens a touch on the slow side and when it comes to sand, give me damp sand

Elevation change is good but not a big fan of severe mounding or undulations in the fairway that can penalize a good shot with an extreme stance. Especially dislike it when it is clear that kind of stuff is manufactured vs part of the natural terrain.

I like moderate secondary rough that allows the ball to be found and at least advanced back out in the fairway. The penal stuff just slows down play for the average golfer and it seems this time of year when good moisture and thick grass rules that courses could maybe cut the stuff just a little shorter and benefit everyone.

I like it when the courses do a good job matching green speeds to the severity of the greens. Too fast and too undulating can slow down play for average (or even above average) joe's. Nothing worse than standing in every fairway watching the group ahead repeatedly grind over three putts from 3-feet.

Can honestly love almost any type of course. Parkland, links style, water heavy etc as long as the set-up is fair, rewards good shots most of the time and allows for good pace of play.

I have started on tree line courses, so I would say that is my preference, but moving to the Midwest has given me a new appreciation for more links style courses. Being a fan of Pete Dye courses, I like uneven lies in the fairway, fast greens and holes that force me to be strategic off the tee.

My preference is an old school tree lined with dog legs as well. See: Patriot Club! I love those kind of courses, so pretty and definitely challenging! Throw in some greens that'll hold an iron shot, yet be super fast and I'm happy! Again....see: Patriot Club! Haha.

I played a links style course one time and instantly fell in love with it. Could spray the ball off the tee and play the ball low a lot. Really enjoyed it.

Haven't played caves but the other two are my favs in this area. I prefer a course that doesn't require driver on every non par 3 and offers both dogleg right and left. Elevation changes as seen in the two MD courses. I like them to be tree lined but let's you have a shot at advancing the ball forward with maybe a chance to,get close to the green but still makes you work to save par from the trouble.

I need to make a trip up your way for another look at that course. Need to stop in and visit the DC office soon!!!

I need to make a trip up your way for another look at that course. Need to stop in and visit the DC office soon!!!

I like the sounds of that. I'm down for some panda golf again up in the mountains...maybe next time we can get the winds under 20+mph

Let us know and we will get it setup

I hate courses with too much "target golf". It dictates that everyone has to hit the same shots and take the same approach to the hole. I don't mind a few holes that work this way, but I prefer courses that are designed to give the player options on how he/she can approach the hole (take a more aggressive line/longer carry and get a shorter approach, split fairways where one side is wider but leaves a longer approach, etc.).

I like a course that has some variety. A 600 yard par 5 that takes 3 good shots and a 475 yard par 5 that can be reached. Par 4's that feature dog legs left, dog legs right, straight away, and short that can possibly be driven. I like pulling different clubs off the tee and not hitting the driver 14 times and the 7i 4 times with the par 3's.

True Blue is still a course I think back to and think that everything about it just fit my eye. Mostly flat lies, very generous fairways. But there was some premium on putting yourself in good spots for the best angles to greens. So I guess however one would describe that course, then that's my favorite.

~Rock

Tree-lined with fast greens and lots of water. Unfortunately there aren't many like this in California unless you get up in the mountains. I definitely prefer courses with slope ratings over 135. The tougher courses help me keep my focus and mentally stay in the game. Deacon's Lodge in Northern Minnesota is a good example.

deacons1.jpg

Currently I don't have much control with my driver so I like open courses.

I like variety in my courses. Mix it up between flat and undulating fairways, throw in some elevation changes on a few holes, some flat greens - some hard breaking. I just don't want to feel like I'm playing the same hole 18 times.

What about you guys, what type of courses do you prefer?

Definitely prefer fast, true greens but as far as the layout, I'd say I like courses that have a "safe" play and a risk play. A good example is a collection area to the left of a green when there is a pond just off the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My preference is an old school tree lined with dog legs as well. See: Patriot Club! I love those kind of courses, so pretty and definitely challenging! Throw in some greens that'll hold an iron shot, yet be super fast and I'm happy! Again....see: Patriot Club! Haha.

Do they even have trees near you? haha

I prefer flat courses with a lot of forgiveness of the tee!

I like firm and fast conditions with a variety of changing topography; I enjoy hitting different shots throughout the round.

Back