What type of courses do you prefer?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I had the pleasure of playing in my Dad's member guest this weekend. The course is called Green Island CC. I don't think there is a flat lie on the course. You tee off uphill, downhill, side hill and any type I missed.

I remember telling my Dad many times how much I liked the course. That got me thinking about Georgia courses and how much they aren't flat and how flat Florida courses are. I started wondering which I preferred. I've played so many course around the world and I have one preference. Tree lined with doglegs and fast greens. I like courses that make you think so I guess I'm a fan of old school courses.

What about you guys, what type of courses do you prefer?

I tend to like courses with elevation changes and fast greens. For some reason I am a much much better putter on fast greens. And I like the elevation changes since it makes for a prettier course.

I like courses that don't have water on most holes. Trees are fine but not right off the tee box. I don't like target golf. Not a big fan of having to get to a certain spot in order to clear a forced carry.

Wide fairways that require being on 1 side or another to have the best angle. Firm and fast, fast greens with a lot of contours that can help you or hurt you. It should be a real risk of putting off the green if you end up above the hole. Risk Reward 5's and a drivable par 4.

I like a course with a variety of holes, not predominantly target golf or penal, some tree-lined but playable if you get in there. Absolutely hate gimmicky holes.

It depends on how I'm driving the ball, but I like all kinds of courses..links, parkland, desert. I've developed a fairly good escape shot from the trees, but I'd still prefer to not have to use it too often.

One of the courses in our annual outing has very few flat lies and it's annoying when you're in the fairway, but I deal with it. I prefer the ball above my feet to below them.

Blind landing areas are frustrating for me. I don't always hit the fairway so it can take some time to find my ball (even on a course that I know) and then I'm worried about getting hit from behind while I hit my second shot.

Fair, like courses with fairways that don't require Special tee shot, greens that are readable. I do like difficulty, but not to the extreme of being silly.

Honestly, I could like any style of course, so long as it is well conditioned. I tend to remember those lush fairways, and smooth, speedy greens more than anything else.

I like courses which force you to think your way around the course. Layups,playing to a position etc. I enjoy a quick green usually putt better on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair, like courses with fairways that don't require Special tee shot, greens that are readable. I do like difficulty, but not to the extreme of being silly.

I'd advise staying away from Bandon Dunes and then I again I highly recommend it. Those greens are wicked hard to read!

Elevation changes are a huge feature here in Maryland. I miss them when I play really flat courses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Elevation changes are a huge feature here in Maryland. I miss them when I play really flat courses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Love MD courses, Caves Valley, whiskey Ridge and others! The D.C., VA and MD area have some of my fav courses

I prefer elevation changes but nothing too severe. I love courses that offer a reachable par-4 or two. Possibilities with consequence is the preferred flavor there. Fast and true greens, a must. I prefer a links look but care less of required play for said course. Think Kiawah Island Ocean Course, Bethpage Black... right up my alley. ?

give me Links all day every day, as long as the greens are rolling pure

I live in NC and most of the courses including my home course are hilly and tree lined. I however prefer links style, no trees with fast greens

I prefer courses that make you think about how to plot your way round, and absolutely hate those with wide open fairways that don't punish you if you hit a bad shot

Too many hazards can make a course frustrating, but having hazards in places that give you options about whether to take them on for an easier second shot, or lay up and leave a slightly longer shot make the round more interesting - my home course has a par 4 that doglegs left and has a stream running across it around 230yds at the closest point, but you need to carry some trees to clear it and the stream crosses the fairway diagonally with the furthest point on the other side of the fairway being around 270yds, so you have to decide whether to try and clear the trees and stream and leave yourself no more than a wedge (depending on the wind) or lay up and hit anything up to an 8i to a raised green protected by bunkers

I hate gimmicky holes and holes that give you no option about how to play them

The courses in south GA are very much like FL course in terms of flatness. With that said, I prefer a course with a mixture of elevation changes and relative flatness like the course I grew up playing in the panhandle of FL. Also prefer quicker greens.

Love MD courses, Caves Valley, whiskey Ridge and others! The D.C., VA and MD area have some of my fav courses

Haven't played caves but the other two are my favs in this area. I prefer a course that doesn't require driver on every non par 3 and offers both dogleg right and left. Elevation changes as seen in the two MD courses. I like them to be tree lined but let's you have a shot at advancing the ball forward with maybe a chance to,get close to the green but still makes you work to save par from the trouble.

Anything that doesn't have a ton of right to left movement

I think I'm with Freddie in that I like the more old-school layouts that use the land how it was. I'm not a huge fan of tricked out golf courses.

Target golf

What type of courses do you prefer?

I don't care as long as there's no gimmick holes, it's in great condition, the fairways are mowed tight and the greens are very fast.

For me it's a toss up between links and really old and tight fairways with small greens.

I tend to not really enjoy the typical tree lined courses with wide fairways and large greens. They just seem a little boring to me.

It sounds like your dad's course is very close to my favorite style. I love tree lined courses but I wasn't the fairways to be somewhat wide. Elevation changes are one of my favorite features as well.

One thing that I really don't enjoy is playing target golf. I don't expect to hit driver on every hole but I really don't enjoy courses where I'm taking iron or fairway/hybrid off the tee to hit a certain yardage. I also love fast greens, it's much easier for me to get my speed down when putting.

I like tree lined fairways, doglegs, par 4's that require less than driver off the tee, and elevation changes. I like being rewarded with a good shot off the tee and prefer not to have rolling fairways in landing areas. I can enjoy and appreciate any course that in good condition with nice fairways and pure rolling greens, that will always trump course characteristics I don't really love.

Back