TV Coverage ruining the live experience?

TV Coverage ruining the live experience?

• Live

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • TV

Votes: 35 79.5%

• Total voters

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I was fortunate enough to attend the U.S. Open practice round at Erin Hills today. Initially I was so disappointed in having to give up my Thursday and Friday tickets, but after today's experience I no longer felt bad about it. Walking the grounds was awesome and seeing some of the top pros up front was a treat; however, the majority of the time, I felt like I was just wandering around in awful heat. I would watch guys tee off and have no clue where the ball landed. I'd watch approach shots and only see the ball land on the green or near it. The only great views were around the greens watching the guys putting and chipping. Honestly, I enjoyed the air conditioned hospitality tent I had on 9 quite a bit!

My point is that years ago, I LOVED going to live sporting events - baseball, golf, football, boxing, hockey, etc. Now I prefer watching them in the comfort of my temperature controlled basement on my 65" 4K TV. Going to live events have become such a hassle between the parking, the security, the crowds and the poor viewing angles. I do like the liveliness of live events - being there gets you caught up in the moment. But the comforts of home seem to off-set that one benefit.

Am I just getting old or do others feel this way too? Would you prefer the live experience or watching it at home?

You're not alone. I have felt this way about NFL games for years. I still enjoy going to golf tournaments because how close you are to rhe action and for the most part the big tourneys have very good shuttle bus system for parking.

But the at home HDTV now 4K experiemce makws it tough to give up.

For golf tournaments I totally agree. If I can't be inside the ropes volunteering I'd rather be at home.

Lambeau field is pretty tough to beat on a gameday too, but I'm happy to go once or twice a year.

For me the only sport I'd rather watch live than at home is hockey. Hockey is probably the only sport that is miles better in person than on TV.

Interesting thoughts. Ive gone to firestone the last few Years and whether its in a box or walking the course i absolutely love it.

I've been fortunate to be SB so I get enjoy me 4 hours at the course every year. When I don't have duties at the course I hang out at one hole and watch guys try to make par. I find going to a tourney relaxing and great way to unwind

I do prefer golf on tv. I also like to watch baseball on tv with good announcers who know what they're talking about. I love Tim McCarver because as a former catcher he knows what pitches should be coming next etc. I prefer football in person. As a former college player, I love seeing the complete field with the defense. It's a such a cat and mouse game between the offense and defense.

Kinda sounds like a first world problem man haha

I love going to tournaments live. You'll figure out where to stand in order to watch the ball flight well and where to see them land into greens. It's pretty fun though watching the ball on a protracer in the AC though, I can't blame you for that.

For me it depends on the sport i guess. I love watching from home but with something like nhl hockey, its just a blast to watch in person.

For me it's a blast going whether in an air conditioned hospitality tent or walking and parking in spots to see the action unfold. I just love the experience either way.

JM

I love being at events.

I agree you can see more on TV and do so in extreme comfort, but I went to my first PGA tour event a couple of weeks ago and I had a blast! It was hot and humid, but I didn't care! I followed guys for a few holes, camped out at a few others. It was amazing. I've already locked in two more events next year thanks to my sister in law. I LOVE the in person experience. Watching these guys hit "pro" shots live is comparable IMO, but of course I'm new to the experience.

I voted TV but I should clarify.

I love being at events and seeing greatness in action, but I've actually had a WAY better time attending practice rounds than competitive rounds. The players are much more open and social. The idea of being in this giant herd of people on Sunday afternoon just trying to catch a peek of the action doesn't appeal to me at all, especially when on TV you have access to every shot that's relevant to the competition.

I like going to Royals and Chiefs games, but it's so much easier to just stay home and watch there. No crowds and no lines. Guaranteed 60 second bathroom breaks. And I can eat and drink whatever I want for way less. Don't really live close enough to any Tour events so that's really not an issue. Went to a Senior event 20 years ago and it ws so hot we decided that if we were going to be at a golf course when it was that hot, we should be playing, not watching. So we went somewhere and played.

I'm all for watching on tv with hockey being the exception. Live hockey is the greatest sport to watch.

I'm all for watching on tv with hockey being the exception. Live hockey is the greatest sport to watch.

This 100%. Every sport to me is better on TV except for hockey. No way I could watch golf live. I hate the heat and the tournaments in TX are wayyyyy too hot to go and see. I barely can stand playing in the heat.

I'm done with live sporting events, save for minor league baseball. Love the atmosphere, ease in & out. As mentioned, it's the whole hassle of travel, parking, herding, traffic.

Most enjoyable experience was when with the NYPD I worked Yankee Stadium often during Red Sox games and playoffs. Worked the dugout, bullpen, field apprehension team, etc.

Working the visiting team's dugout (old Yankee Stadium only for me) is so cool because you sit in the dugout with the players. Main assignment is to exit the dugout in between innings to face the crowd, that's it.

We can't engage the players but just being there was cool. Listening to them, realizing that they're just like us. It is 100% exactly the same feel as any dugout you may have experienced while playing. They're just big kids playing a kids game.

Last edited:
I voted unreservedly for live, so I'm in the minority. But then again, I get to see the pros tee it up in places like Pebble Beach and Cypress Point.

I enjoy going to events, but I think I go in with the mindset that it'll be different than watching it live. I've been to a few US Open's, NBA, MLB and NHL games. Love watching hockey live. When it comes to golf, I just enjoy going and either following a group or sitting at a par 3. Still think it's a great experience.

It's all about the location, I don't think I'd care to be at Erin Hills either, no trees, but I'd be happy to hang around Augusta for a while.

But generally speaking if it's nice out and I have time off I'm playing golf, not standing around watching others play, so I'm a DVR TV guy.

Venue can definitely make a difference. Erin hills was a pretty tough venue to watch guy's. We walked the course, followed some guys, tried to figure out a good spot to watch from. My favorite part from yesterday and today was having the players walk by you and having them interact with you. Some tip the cap, some say thank you after you say nice shot, some smile, you get my point. We actually made Matt Fitzpatrick laugh out loud yesterday which was a pretty memorable experience.

If you want to watch golf, and golf shots stay inside and watch tv. But if you want a unique golf experience you have to come to the course.

I attend events for the social aspect. I watch events on TV for the enjoyment. Watching golf live is not fun, you see absolutely nothing.

I've really enjoyed going to the Deutche Bank the last couple years on Sunday. You definitely don't see as much action, but it is interesting to follow a couple groups around and see how these guys approach each shot.

I really have enjoyed the few tournaments I've gone too (PGA & LPGA), but I simply hate crowds so I still prefer to watch Golf on TV if the wife lets me :)

I think you are just getting old.,,?

I like going,don't need to go all four days but it's awesome being that close to the action and watching their ball flights in person.

For golf tournaments I totally agree. If I can't be inside the ropes volunteering I'd rather be at home.

Lambeau field is pretty tough to beat on a gameday too, but I'm happy to go once or twice a year.

For me the only sport I'd rather watch live than at home is hockey. Hockey is probably the only sport that is miles better in person than on TV.

Agreed

Back