What Makes Irons Forgiving?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You have all heard the terms and buzz words associated with iron types and most when you look at the different sets lined up, you can see the larger vs smaller club heads, technology in the cavity and so much more packed into irons today. But have you ever asked yourself the question what makes Game Improvement irons forgiving? What design qualities do different irons have that would make the ball react differently?

THP TV sat down with Mike Yagley, Director of Innovation and Testing at Cobra Golf, and had him show the internal structure of different irons and what they are designed to do. From muscle back to completely hollow body designs, the explanations of the design role in forgiveness and more is discussed.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/makes-game-improvement-irons-forgiving/

It's interesting how different each iron is designed and how it effects performance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Great video I demoed the F irons last weekend and the long irons are really easy to get in the air

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Such a unique set. That they were able to leverage various construction types while maintaining feel and having them seamlessly is quite the feat.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Great video... Very interesting what Cobra is doing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
Its really impressive how Cobra can be so innovative and pack so much tech into its gear and be so competitive with price

Really cool to see the various structural designs and hear about the purpose of the designs. Always come away more knowledgable after watching a Yagley tech video.

Its really impressive how Cobra can be so innovative and pack so much tech into its gear and be so competitive with price

Cobra has really upped their game in their offering the last few cycles... I know that at the Dicks I work at part time, we have sold more Corba than ever before, this year. I believe that the fact that they sent in 2 full demo sets (F7 and F7 One) has helped.

Increased sweet spot with CG in the area most miss, increased bounce/sole, high MOI/Low CG for launch, and thin face for speed. That seems to be the formula these days. Good video, loving the podcasts as well.

Also, I think of "Lost" every time that intro sound plays on the vids or podcasts.

I'm so impressed with how that used a progressive construction and yet the feel is fairly uniform across the set. Then they take the complexity a step further in the one length set. I assume for the one length set, the weight modifications are in the heads and shafts as well?

I'm so impressed with how that used a progressive construction and yet the feel is fairly uniform across the set. Then they take the complexity a step further in the one length set. I assume for the one length set, the weight modifications are in the heads and shafts as well?

It is really all about getting a certain swing weight, so they do not have to alter shafts really necessarily since they are all the same size.

Love seeing the internal tech and hearing how and why the designers are moving the mass around and working with ways to help improve forgiveness in different ways, based on the club.

It's pretty cool actually seeing how these are constructed. You can read and listen about it all you want but seeing it really helps with the explanation.

Yagley broke it down so nicely.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

It's crazy how differing the weight, bounce/grind, MOI on each set of irons can so vastly change each irons characteristics. Tech has just come so far, it's a wonder why I still see guys playing ping irons from 1980!

Great video, Yagley is amazing!!

Pretty cool seeing how they make slight changes between the one length and variable length as well as the hollow body in the long irons.

That was an awesome listen. It's really cool to actually see the changes and the effect they have on forgiveness of the club.

Glad everybody has enjoyed this one. Its a different tech perspective and one that we thought people would like to learn about.

Great video, the differences from the one to the variable was very informative.

I was a bit surprised to see some hollow body in there. I should probably pay more attention.

Ive never seen the side by side cross views of the different "builds" of irons like that. Fascinating.

~Rock

Very nice demonstration by Yagley and an easy-to-understood explanation.

I have a question for Yagley if he reads it.
Are the properties of an iron design that lead to forgiveness the same ones that cause an iron to be lower spinning? The unsupported face, the weight low etc. Or would it be possible to make an iron that spins high, launches 'normal', but still offers all the forgiveness?

Very nice demonstration by Yagley and an easy-to-understood explanation.

I have a question for Yagley if he reads it.
Are the properties of an iron design that lead to forgiveness the same ones that cause an iron to be lower spinning? The unsupported face, the weight low etc. Or would it be possible to make an iron that spins high, launches 'normal', but still offers all the forgiveness?

They can be. You can certainly get forgiving clubs that offer spin. Things like wider sole and perimeter weighting help that. Apex Pros are a good example of this.

Interesting video. Thanks.
Has anyone tried a combo set of f7s in the short irons and f1s in the longer irons lengths past whatever length the f1 is?

Back