Thinking about new irons

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
I know I should go hit them first and I plan to, but I want some feed back from you guys. I am thinking about selling or trading my Rocketbladez irons and getting the Mizuno JPX-850 set. What do you guys and gals think. Would it be worth the change just going off of personal experience.

PS
Also looked at maybe the JPX-850 Forged. Not sure my game can handle the forged version at around 14-16 handicap.

Last edited:
I had the rocketbladez. Really liked them. Solid clubs.

Go hit the ones you are thinking of and compare them to your current clubs. Then decide.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

What don't you like about your current clubs? Or are you just scratching an itch.

All good clubs, but I wouldn't trade or buy without being able to hit on a monitor and comparing distances.

I don't think you would have any problem handling the 850 forged. Try before you buy.

Thanks. I hope to hit them all tomorrow. Mainly just scratching an itch. The rocketbladez have served me very well.

I treated myself to a new set of irons about a year ago. It was a difficult decision. On the one hand I was thinking "have you lost your mind?" On the other I was thinking "yes, you probably have." Long story short: after a year of blaming every poor shot on myself...the new irons are not so new and they feel like my clubs...occasionally brilliant and sometimes astonishingly inept. I do not regret making the change; but I've come (belatedly) to the realization that it is the clubs that need my help...not the other way around. That being said...life is short...go for it!

Ping i200
Get them... get them now.

Signed
- Total PING Homer...
I knew someone was gonna drop the i200 in this thread

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Update: stopped by dicks and hit a JPX EZ regular steel club with the XP-95 shaft. because that's all they had....hit them along side my
Personal 7 iron. Long story short the mizuno was way too high launching and felt heavy and looked boxy. I wish they had the forged versions

In the same boat as you OP, currently have the Rocketbladez. Re-gripped them and re-sharpened the grooves this year, thinking another year or two. but have an itch as well. I like the M1 Irons, but with so many choices, I have really no idea what the best club would be for me (or you :) ). Good luck in your search!

In the same boat as you OP, currently have the Rocketbladez. Re-gripped them and re-sharpened the grooves this year, thinking another year or two. but have an itch as well. I like the M1 Irons, but with so many choices, I have really no idea what the best club would be for me (or you :) ). Good luck in your search!

The rocketbladez are great clubs. Well at least I think so anyway. Just wishing to find that diamond in the rough I guess and I've always wanted a set of mizuno irons. Guy at dicks recommended trying them with a different shaft, but I didn't even like the head so I didn't.

I know I should go hit them first and I plan to, but I want some feed back from you guys. I am thinking about selling or trading my Rocketbladez irons and getting the Mizuno JPX-850 set. What do you guys and gals think. Would it be worth the change just going off of personal experience.

PS
Also looked at maybe the JPX-850 Forged. Not sure my game can handle the forged version at around 14-16 handicap.

I had a set of TM Burners, and got custom fitted for a set of Mizuno JPX-850s. Best clubs I have ever hit, personally.

PS

I have the 850 forged and I've been playing them for about 10 months now. I think they are outstanding. Very accurate, with good distance and pretty good forgiveness built in. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. I don't know what my handicap is yet, but my best scores are 82, and 83..and that's as low as I've gotten. Though, I did shoot a 37 on the front nine with them one day.

Anyway, a couple relevant comments from golf people.

1. It's OK to grow into a new set, if you are consistent with practicing.

2. These are one of the best iron sets ever made.

I have the 850 forged and I've been playing them for about 10 months now. I think they are outstanding. Very accurate, with good distance and pretty good forgiveness built in. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. I don't know what my handicap is yet, but my best scores are 82, and 83..and that's as low as I've gotten. Though, I did shoot a 37 on the front nine with them one day.

Anyway, a couple relevant comments from golf people.

1. It's OK to grow into a new set, if you are consistent with practicing.

2. These are one of the best iron sets ever made.

Did you get fitted or just buy them on a whim.

Did you get fitted or just buy them on a whim.

I did an online fitting and found I was standard. Then I tested the seven iron against my Xhot seven on the launch monitor and found superior direction and dispersion. I mean, it was actually kinda sick how tight a group it was. That was enough to sell me.....that plus the feel. Really nice feel. Nothing wrong with my Callaway Xhots, I kept them and still play them from time to time, but the 850 forged is the better set....IMHO.

I did an online fitting and found I was standard. Then I tested the seven iron against my Xhot seven on the launch monitor and found superior direction and dispersion. I mean, it was actually kinda sick how tight a group it was. That was enough to sell me.....that plus the feel. Really nice feel. Nothing wrong with my Callaway Xhots, I kept them and still play them from time to time, but the 850 forged is the better set....IMHO.

Thanks for the info. Which shafts did you go with

I think within reason the shaft specificly the weight is more important than the head as far as delivering the club. If you can find a Mizuno demo day or good Mizuno fitter try out the Shaft Optimizer. I'm currently playing 85 g graphite shafts and found the top 3 recommended shafts were 115 g steel shafts. I always thought the heavier weight would keep me more consistent and improve scoring. I'm now in the process of buying a slightly used iron with a shaft with this weight and characteristics from an online company with 30 day playability policy.

Back