Why no shorter iron sets?

CanaryKid

Reaction score
Handicap
As can be seen by my WITB, I use hybrids to replace the longer irons and, from discussions with other players of my standard, I am not alone. It seems that, understandably, it is predominantly better players that bag longer irons.

Given this, why is it that manufacturers and/or retailers pretty much exclusively sell new sets on a 3-PW or 4-SW, or very occasionally, 5-SW basis? Clearly this needs to be an option for better players, but one rarely sees the option of a new part set being offered on a (say) 7-SW basis for players like me ... and this knocks on to second hand sets in due course The problem is that players like me, when buying a set that otherwise meets our needs, have to pay for a number of clubs that we will never use. I have bought several second hand sets now and, each time, I have had to sell the other irons for peanuts on eBay. One can sometimes buy clubs separately but, as they cost disproportionately more when purchased this way, the cost is no less.

Or is this just a UK problem?

As can be seen by my WITB, I use hybrids to replace the longer irons and, from discussions with other players of my standard, I am not alone. It seems that, understandably, it is predominantly better players that bag longer irons.

Given this, why is it that manufacturers and/or retailers pretty much exclusively sell new sets on a 3-PW or 4-SW, or very occasionally, 5-SW basis? Clearly this needs to be an option for better players, but one rarely sees the option of a new part set being offered on a (say) 7-SW basis for players like me ... and this knocks on to second hand sets in due course The problem is that players like me, when buying a set that otherwise meets our needs, have to pay for a number of clubs that we will never use. I have bought several second hand sets now and, each time, I have had to sell the other irons for peanuts on eBay. One can sometimes buy clubs separately but, as they cost disproportionately more when purchased this way, the cost is no less.

Or is this just a UK problem?

I find the highlighted part very odd. Here in North America the clubs are equal value, no matter the combination.

Now, with that said, sometimes sets go on sale, but if ordered, no matter the combination it should just be the price multipled by the number of clubs.

The highlighted section relates to my experience in looking for new clubs in the UK ... perhaps it's not an issue elsewhere. Having said that, virtually no retailers stock single clubs ... they tend to be a special order, which may account for the price differential.

The highlighted section relates to my experience in looking for new clubs in the UK ... perhaps it's not an issue elsewhere. Having said that, virtually no retailers stock single clubs ... they tend to be a special order, which may account for the price differential.

We don't stock single clubs either. Here special orders are the same retail price as clubs that sit on the shelves unless there's upgraded shafts or grips.

Couldn't you just order a 7-PW set from the manufacturer? Assuming the "standard" set was 4-PW, that should cost you exactly 4/7 of the price of the off the rack set.

Couldn't you just order a 7-PW set from the manufacturer? Assuming the "standard" set was 4-PW, that should cost you exactly 4/7 of the price of the off the rack set.

Possibly in the US, but an expensive option in the UK. The options in the UK are less, and the prices higher, doubtless because many of the main manufacturers are American. However, this is not an option with the second hand sets that I buy, hence my comment about the knock on effect.

Definitely not an issue in the US and several are selling their sets as 5-p or you can add the 4 or 3i. Buying individually the irons are same price per club as if you bought the set, the manufacturers list both single iron and set prices

As I say, you guys in the US are spoilt when it comes to options and prices. Sounds like it is a UK problem.

As someone who worked in retail, I can tell you that most of the sets I've seen that include a 4-5 hybrid to replace the long irons are senior graphite shafted sets. And it's a shame. They will always include 7-8 clubs because if you just sell 7-aw or something, that brings in issues with stated pricing (and someone's going to walk out with a 4-aw for the price of the 7-aw due to "misunderstanding").

Yes, I would like to see more regular and stiff shafted stock sets with a 4 or 5 hybrid. Although I don't use them, there's definitely a use for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As I say, you guys in the US are spoilt when it comes to options and prices. Sounds like it is a UK problem.

From the people I know over there, the clubs are still sold on a per-club price from manufacturers (but they are indeed more expensive). Closeout/sale/used stuff is a problem, sure - but if you're buying the in-line stuff, I don't think 4 clubs will cost more than half of 8 clubs, right?

Just trying to understand the issue more.

Online vendors in the UK rarely offer single clubs and, when they do, they are disproportionately expensive. I have been to the US and visited the golf superstores that seem to be in every city ... we simply don't have those here ... just the occasional branch of American golf and pro-shops at golf clubs and buying single clubs is not usually a cost effective option there. But, as I said before, it is the knock on effect on second hand sets that I buy that is the issue!

This thread is going nowhere ... could a mod please delete it. Thanks

Back