My DIY backyard putting green

Misike

Live in the Present
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
About a month ago we decided we'd like a putting green in the backyard. I scoured the web and YouTube and decided it was something I could do myself. I've done many outdoor and indoor projects at home, so doing the putting green didn't seem too hard.

Here's some pics of what I've done and where I'm at so far.

Rolling the green out after it was delivered (it's 11 by 15 feet):

a95af784df79d4543bdae42500cdf32f.jpg

Starting to dig out the yard (between 4 and 6 inches deep):

f0c5c32b3c3636147f3460e4c4d8e52b.jpg

My helpers!

aabec77c8ab5660b84c8f993c4416ad7.jpg

Finally, all of the dirt removed:

0f1073726b3ed7623ab9d4dc52b21e12.jpg

Next steps are to get the base spread (estimating between 2.5 and 3 tons of crushed limestone), compact it and get the slope of the green how I want it. I'll post pictures along the way.

Last edited:
Nice! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Looking good misike

What a cool project! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Looks like a fun project, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Best part is the two laborers you contracted to get er done. WTG Dad.

Love that you have the kids involved, bringing in the excavator!

Best part is the two laborers you contracted to get er done. WTG Dad.

They love going putt, putt and to the practice green at the range, so they're excited to help.

Love that you have the kids involved, bringing in the excavator!

Thanks! Some big machinery involved, lol.

You got some good helpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great project man! Can't wait to see how it turns out, you've got the wheels turning in my head...

Is there a reason that you went with plastic instead of trying to grow your own? I'm thinking maintenance and mowing.

Are you going to hand tamp the base down or rent a powered packer? I put some patio pavers in the back yard and use a hand tamped, lots of work.

Did you run into any big shallow roots from that tree near the slide? From the pics it looks like they grow down not out, otherwise the slope of your green may change down at that end. I've had a heck of a time keeping some large patio stones level as the incorporated tree I purposely left for shade keeps reminding me that I shouldn't have.

Dude, I am so jealous, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Really neat!! Out of curiosity what turf did you go with??

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Looks like a great project. Look forward to see the finish job.

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm thinking of putting a Bocce ball court in my backyard and will have a similar project as yours.

Looks awesome. Can't wait to follow this. This gives me hope to still do one myself. I had SYNLawm give me a quote to do one last year about 12x15 and it was $12k!! Keep it up, I'll be watching this

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the completed product.

Awesome,cannot wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could talk the wife into something like this.

You will be soon living the dream sir!

Can you give us a preview of what's next in the process? what are you filling in with? This looks like a great project!

Great start thus far! Anxious to see the final product!!

Is there a reason that you went with plastic instead of trying to grow your own? I'm thinking maintenance and mowing.

Are you going to hand tamp the base down or rent a powered packer? I put some patio pavers in the back yard and use a hand tamped, lots of work.

I picked an artificial material (nylon) because growing and mowing would have been too much work. I'll be renting a walk behind plate compactor to get the base packed. Something like $40 a day.

Did you run into any big shallow roots from that tree near the slide? From the pics it looks like they grow down not out, otherwise the slope of your green may change down at that end. I've had a heck of a time keeping some large patio stones level as the incorporated tree I purposely left for shade keeps reminding me that I shouldn't have.

Yeah, didn't run into any real root trouble, they grow more down on that tree, luckily.

Really neat!! Out of curiosity what turf did you go with??

Ended up going with a company called turf factory direct, and went with the nylon over the polypropylene. Won't have to use sand infill was one of the main reasons, also, won't be chipping to this from more than 10 yards out. Pros and cons to both material types. This one has a 10 year warranty, and if it doesn't work out, changing it will be on the easier side (minus cost of getting more).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Looks awesome. Can't wait to follow this. This gives me hope to still do one myself. I had SYNLawm give me a quote to do one last year about 12x15 and it was $12k!! Keep it up, I'll be watching this

I'll post the final costs when I'm done, but so far with me doing all the work thinking this will come in around $600.

Back