bounce of Lob Wedges. Whats yours and why?

Got both a 6 and a 10 degree 60 degree wedge. Both play really well but have different strengths. The PM Grind has 10 degrees bounce and is flat fun to play with. The one shot I miss with it is the bury the leading edge in the dirt with no follow through which gives me a low shot with tons of spin.

That said, the T7 is a blast to play with at 6 degrees bounce. I can dig holes or not, flop off almost lie, and it hits high soft shots with as much spin or little spin as I want.

I like a lot of bounce so I went with 10* on my 56. Not sure what the bounce is on the 50* since it's a set wedge. Bounce is your friend if you know hot to use it.

Mine is whatever Ping put on my Eye 2. I honestly have no idea. I believe the wedge is 60*, but I don't know about the bounce.

I'd previously preferred very low bounce with LW, in the 4° range. I used to use LW often for full swings and just found the lower bounce to work better for me. Also preferred lower bounce in my SW too, FWIW (8-10°, max).

Then came the move the NC and its bermuda rough. Low bounce was absolutely killing me, had to go higher.

First was the 62° RTX 2.0 with 10° of bounce. Much better turf interaction but something was still off for me, I just wasn't as precise as I'd like.

Then came the 60.10 Cally MD PM wedge. Oooo doggie, love this thing. I get the benefit of the higher bounce out of rough and when I use it from the sand, yet it plays remarkably well from tight lies, even when opening the blade some. Quickly grabbed the SW soon afterward. Look odd, work great.

Most courses around here are tight lie and a low bounce works best for me. I like the edge of the blade to be nearly flat on the ground.

Most of my wedges are between 8*-10*. I like a low bounce wedge it suites my swing better than a higher bounce. The only lob that I have higher than an 8* is my Vokey K grind which has 10* but it also has a wider sole that I can open up better.

lot of interesting posts in this thread. Find it unexpected that a number of you have low bounce wedges as I think most amateurs would have a tougher time with chunking shots with low bounce clubs even on some tighter lies especially on swing like 3/4 and full shots. I thought a bit more bounce offers some forgiveness for fat. Though I guess that could be a double edge sword.lol
Chipping and close pitching wise I can see that perhaps being less an issue. None the less still an issue for most I would think though I could be wrong.

My Titleist Vok LW 60* was given to me a few years back and so unlike my irons I never was actually fit for it. I did however lengthen it as I knew my irons wre 1/2" long as well and so I just followed that suit. Other than that I really have no idea if this wedge and the 10 bounce is ideal or not for me. But I don't know iof there is an "ideal" bounce as that is something different conditions need differently. Its not like I or most people will carry different Lw for different rounds and swap them for the day so what do/can we do? I guess just feel the club and swing in sims or at range (if available) , maybe add/minus length and pick one that's comfy. I don't really know.

But I may give this a go as for visiting some shops and asking for info etc...and possibly fitting one soon. Its an important club in my bag if not most important and even with some deficiencies I have with it, its ben a godsend for the most part since incorporating it in my 14 clubs.

I started paying attention and actually went and looked at my wedges and boy was I surprised. I apparently have a 60 deg with 14 bounce, a 56 deg with 16 bounce and a 52 deg with 10 bounce. Kind of shocking to me to realize they are that high. I think I am going to tinker with a lower bounce for my 60 deg but not going to go to the 8 bounce like originally planned but try a 10 bounce with a c grind callaway.

I play low bounce in my wedges and I am a steep player who digs holes. I went low (6* in my LW) because conditions around here are generally firm or I'm playing Kikuya grass which lends itself to low bounce.

While in general bounce is a good thing, I think it's more personal and you have to find what works for your game. I learned the hard way that more bounce, despite what convention says about my swing type, does not work for me.

As to the original question, changing your bounce one way or another may improve one area at the detriment of another. But IMO the real world isn't so linear. Try different things and you might find the magic that works best for you.

I've wrestled with this a bit and decided to try not carrying a lob wedge any more!

So far, so good: RTX-3 at 54/11 gives me a versatile wedge that I can cover most shots with. I'm learning to be comfortable with one general purpose wedge (and therefore not thinking about which wedge/bounce is right). Seems easier for me to manage.

10 degrees on my Glide 2.0. The more bounce the better for me as I play on a very soft course. I'm also a big believer in the flop shot so the more bounce the better for me. It's my most versatile club around the green, that's where you want more bounce IMO. No taking divots inside 50 yards for me, sweep that ground.

My 60 degree wedge has 27 degrees of bounce which seems extremely high compared to what most of the posters seem to have.
I was fit for my wedges by Edel, and so far have not been able to find a wedge that works better for me.
My lob wedge is my first go to option around the greens for all shots.

I think a wedge is more than bounce - you need to look at relief - heel, toe, trailing edge to determine playabilty as well as camber and sole width (wide adds effective bounce) Some prefer a slightly rounded leading edge, others like a straight leading edge.

I don't open my wedges typically outside of a bunker shot.

I play a LW - 59 - with 12 bounce but it has some trailing edge and slight heel relief.

For dry and tight, I use a LW with 18 bounce, not a wide sole, slight rounded leading edge but bounce is cut off quickly with lots of trailing edge relief and toe and heel relief - any bounce is towards the front and in the middle front. The effective bounce is fairly low except in front. Leading edge sits low to ground. Make it great to hit flops on tight lies but makes it more difficult in the bunker if you make a slight mistake -- so I keep a SW with plenty of bounce.

I think a wedge is more than bounce - you need to look at relief - heel, toe, trailing edge to determine playabilty as well as camber and sole width (wide adds effective bounce) Some prefer a slightly rounded leading edge, others like a straight leading edge.

I don't open my wedges typically outside of a bunker shot.

I play a LW - 59 - with 12 bounce but it has some trailing edge and slight heel relief.

For dry and tight, I use a LW with 18 bounce, not a wide sole, slight rounded leading edge but bounce is cut off quickly with lots of trailing edge relief and toe and heel relief - any bounce is towards the front and in the middle front. The effective bounce is fairly low except in front. Leading edge sits low to ground. Make it great to hit flops on tight lies but makes it more difficult in the bunker if you make a slight mistake -- so I keep a SW with plenty of bounce.

wow, quite the process involved there. Which do you use on a Tuesday after 3 pm with high humidity and partly cloudy while wearing a green shirt?:alien:

But really its so much that can go into this. I understand you about it but I doubt the average hacker would take it quite this far. I assume a lot of those decisions would require a good amount of trial and error and being able to have the clubs with the different characteristics in hand to then go through such a trial and error. But I do find it interesting as for what different things can do for different types of work (or shots)

6*. I will always go low bounce as I have the best success/confidence with it on my lob wedges.

I just checked and it seems my Cleveland Tour Action 588 60 degree lob wedge is 3 degrees bounce. I have a Vokey SM6 60 degree L grind en route and that is 4 degrees bounce. Low bounce has seemed to work out better for me in a lob wedge so far.

Back