bounce of Lob Wedges. Whats yours and why?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
My 60* LW (Titleist volky) is a 10 bounce. I beleive thats considered mid (not low, not high). Had this for a few years now and play it well enough most the times and been mostly a blessing since I bagged it but honestly don't really know if Id be better with something higher or fwiw lower.

While I can sometimes mishit with either a chunk or a blade, Id say my 3/4 to full swing misses tend to lean a tad more on the bladed side while my short chip/pitches misses tend to lean a tad more on the chunky side. I fear that if I were to change the bounce (via a new wedge) I would just be helping one miss while hurting the other.

But to be honest I am a bit better at both types of shots with my higher bounce sw. But using my 60 in many situations is preferred over my sw and in general works well (most times). But that makes me think I could look into a wedge with a 12 bounce. though that doesn't really make sense for helping the bladed misses and may increase them.

Does any this (what im considering) make sense to you? Im just not sure if it even makes sense to me as Im a bit confused. lol and so I just leave things be with my mid-ish bounce LW and happy for the majority of using it.
Whats your story and why, for your LW bounce choice? And any comments/advice to share for me is also appreciated.

Honestly my bounce is what ever I happened to pull off the shelf at the store. When I bought my wedges I wasn't as good of an internet golfer. Lately I have been pondering new wedges and trying to understand the difference with bounce and grinds. Currently I have a CG14 60 deg and RTX 2.0 for 56 & 52 deg. All I believe are mid bounce and no clue about the grinds. The course I normally play league at is a dryer course and I noticed the club seemed to be giving me alot of bounce during my practice swings. Now I am a sweeper of the golf club and started researching Callaway grinds and bounce and what seems would be a good fit for me is a C grind with a low bounce. Considering picking one up on CPO to give it a shot. My buddy also has an S grind in 56 deg that he's going to let me borrow to test out. I think for my a low bounce club is best for my standard shots with the 60 deg and them to have a mid bounce for different courses and bunker play. I have been working being able to use all of my wedges for most shots and not using them just full shots only and then using the 60 deg for everything else.

with my current wedges i have a 58 that is 14*, and has a wide sole. it's the same sole design as my 54, although the 54 is 10* of bounce.

I think mine is 8* of bounce, and for no other good reason than Ryan Hawk told me thats what I needed to play

I think mine is 8* of bounce, and for no other good reason than Ryan Hawk told me thats what I needed to play
Miss Hawk.

Mine is 8 as well, mainly bc it's a tight lie club.

I play the RTX3 Mid at 58*, which I believe has 9* of bounce.

my current LW or 60° is a MD2 Tour grind at 9° of bounce I believe

Mine is 4* on my 60. I prefer the sharp leading edge with the 60.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Out of the options I had available, I went with a higher bounce club because Michael Vrska said people tend to need more bounce as opposed to less. #InVrskaITrust

I honestly have no idea. It's what the person at the golf store said would probably be best for me.

Currently playing my RTX 3 60* with MG grind (9*) I actually think I should be playing FG grind with 12* I came from an older full sole Cleveland wedge that was money. I tend to dig more shots than I like with current wedge. Unfortunately wedge science isn't my strong suit.

Mine is 4* (PŪR 60* WideLow).

60* with 8 degrees of bounce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 degree because I read where it is good to have a little variety in bounce degrees. 54 is 12 degrees because it made more sense to me to have the lower bounce in the higher lofted (58) wedge.

I've got 52/56/60* wedges. I believe the 60 is 10* and the other 2 are 12*. I haven't read up enough on bounce to know exactly what it does. I do know the 60* wedge is my go to in a lot of situations because I can actually hit it.

I believe my 58* wedge has 8* of bounce.
I like less bounce in my wedges.

I've collected quite a few wedges over the years. A quick review of my favorites indicates that I prefer 6 to 10 degrees of bounce regardless of the loft.

I play a vokey 60/10 with k grind. I use it for soft sand, lies in the rough, or tight lies when the ground is saturated with water.

My 60 is 8* bounce. My previous 60 had 12* bounce. The only place I felt there was any difference was in the sand. And even that isn't a whole lot different.

The bounce on my Sure Out is between 14-16 degrees I believe. Works really well out of bunkers and for chipping.

9* because that is the only option for a LH RTX 3 CB.

Regardless I'd probably play the mid grind anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58* and 10* bounce, it is the PM grind so I open it up often so not sure how it plays when the face is opened with that grind.

I went with what my club fitter recommended -- which turned out to be Vokey 54/10 S-grind and 58/8 M-grind. For whatever reason, I like my 58 a lot more than my 54, and use it significantly more often as well. I was concerned 8* wouldn't be enough bounce on a lob wedge, but I haven't looked back. No issues in the sand, fluffy stuff, tight lies, etc. Though I will say that I never am taking full swings with it (other than an occasional long bunker shot).

I bought my wedges at a demo day, and I tried a lot of bounce options from Cleveland, Titleist, Callaway, and Ping. I found the Pings to be more repeatable, and they listened to me better - when I asked them to execute a shot, they did so better than the rest. That said, I was set to get MD3s, but I could not get a lob wedge with enough bounce to work for me The 54 worked great, but the 58 with any of the available bounces was pretty erratic in my hands. My 54* Glide is a SS at 12* bounce, and my 58* Glide lob wedge is a WS . . . at 12* bounce.

6 degree although I want one with about 12 degrees!

Back