Higher Loft and Launch for same Distance

Aussie Dave

Hacker From OZ
Reaction score
Handicap
GA 15
I have been doing a lot of testing over the last few months as my game had declined dramatically so much so that I haven't been playing in any tournaments. I have a slow swing speed of around 80-85mph with a naturally high ball flight, I have Cleveland 588 clubs in A flex graphite the clubs are Fairways 3W 15.5*&14*, 5W 18*, 7W 20.5*, Hybrids 2H 18*, 3H 20.5*,4H 23*,5H 26*, Irons, Altitudes 3-S, MT 5-P, TT P-S. I knew it was a given I hit the Altitude irons 6-9 better than the MT's so no testing required there, I thought I might get better control with the TT P-S Wedges but I still hit the Altitude Wedges better so that was the irons sorted out. The upper part of the bag was the big surprise, I found that I hit the 3W's 15.5*&14*, the 5W 18* and the 2H 18* all the same distance (180 meters) but was far more consistent with the 5W so thats my longest Fairway Wood. Next was the 7W 20.5*, 3H 20.5* and Altitude 3 Iron 19* (all the same distance 170 meters), I found I was much more consistent with the 7W so it was my next club in the bag. Next test was the 4H 23* vs Altitude 4 iron 21* (both same distance 160 meters) once again the Hybrid was more consistent. Next was the 5H 26*, MT 5 Iron 24*, Altitude 5 Iron 24* (all the same distance 150 meters) and to my amazement the 5 Hybrid came out on top for consistency, I really thought the Altitude 5 Iron would come out on top. So for me it appears the more loft and launch for the same distance is better for me so that is how I have set my bag up, here's hoping it works as our Club Championships start this weekend.

Last edited:
Over time I've realized pretty much the same thing as you. Loft and a high ball flight is my friend and is psychologically way more satisfying than hitting low bullets, even if they might go further with rollout. I love hitting high bombs off the tee now and iron shots that climb then sit softly on greens.

Good luck in you tourney!

Higher Loft and Launch for same Distance

Over time I've realized pretty much the same thing as you. Loft and a high ball flight is my friend and is psychologically way more satisfying than hitting low bullets, even if they might go further with rollout. I love hitting high bombs off the tee now and iron shots that climb then sit softly on greens.

Good luck in you tourney!

I was really surprised at the 7 wood to 3 hybrid to 3 iron comparison. I went to our 170 meter par 3 hole and hit 5 balls with each club 4 out of 5 on the green with the 7 wood and the one that wasn't I could still putt, 3 hybrid 2 out of 5 on the green, 3 iron none on the green. The more loft and launch I have the straighter I hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back