Don't kill for pleasure, its disgusting, thats what some say

I'm a gun owner and previously a sport shooter. I don't hunt - just not my thing, mostly not interested in killing something, having to clean it and pack out the meat. Grocery stores do the dirty work for me.

I also have many friends who are avid hunters. Elk, deer, fowl. Some of them are bow hunters. More power to them. In Oregon we are not allowed to sit in stands when hunting deer and elk, so there is an element of skill, which definitely increases the "sport" element of the hunt.

I think there's a certain romanticism about doing a big game hunt in Africa. Hemingway on safari; man vs wild beast and all that. I'm not sure how much that still exists. If I didn't object to killing something (personally) I could see doing this type of hunt, if it still existed in what I perceive to be its more pure form.

If an animal is endangered or protected than there will be laws that prevent hunting it. Somebody who breaks the law and hunts such animals anyway, they are not a hunter they are a poacher. I am not a fan of poaching and any poachers that are caught should be dealt with properly.

Poaching certainly has no place anywhere.

For what it's worth, to the non hunters, there is only one species in Arkansas that is kind of unrestricted for hunting - wild hogs. Everything else has very specific seasons, limits, and heavy fines for going outside of those regulations. Seriously, even crow are regulated. I would assume that every state is similar in their conservation efforts.

I also have many friends who are avid hunters. Elk, deer, fowl. Some of them are bow hunters. More power to them. In Oregon we are not allowed to sit in stands when hunting deer and elk, so there is an element of skill, which definitely increases the "sport" element of the hunt.

I didn't grow up hunting, but the buddy who taught me to hunt was from Oregon and taught me the way you described. Sometimes sitting in a blind on the ground, but most often we did "still hunting", where you hunt using stealth while walking. This type of hunting feels especially sporting -- like it's my wits versus the deer's. Later I connected with other buddies on deer hunts and discovered that around here in Texas the big thing is to set up and maintain deer feeders all year in various places on your land so you get the deer used to following a daily feeding pattern. You set up trail cameras to make sure your feeder strategy is getting the deer moving in the pattern you wanted them to. Then when deer season comes around you sit in a fancy elevated deer blind near one of the feeders and you shoot the deer when they show up to eat. Look, I have no problem with the concept of hunting animals. But hunting a feeder doesn't feel like hunting at all. It's just....shooting. Yes, they eat what they kill. I have trouble articulating exactly what feels wrong about hunting a feeder. Maybe it's that it feels like it is somewhere on the spectrum in between actual hunting and buying the meat from Walmart.

So I mostly stick with hunting birds and waterfowl. And the elusive White Dimpled Sphere. :wink:

I didn't grow up hunting, but the buddy who taught me to hunt was from Oregon and taught me the way you described. Sometimes sitting in a blind on the ground, but most often we did "still hunting", where you hunt using stealth while walking. This type of hunting feels especially sporting -- like it's my wits versus the deer's. Later I connected with other buddies on deer hunts and discovered that around here in Texas the big thing is to set up and maintain deer feeders all year in various places on your land so you get the deer used to following a daily feeding pattern. You set up trail cameras to make sure your feeder strategy is getting the deer moving in the pattern you wanted them to. Then when deer season comes around you sit in a fancy elevated deer blind near one of the feeders and you shoot the deer when they show up to eat. Look, I have no problem with the concept of hunting animals. But hunting a feeder doesn't feel like hunting at all. It's just....shooting. Yes, they eat what they kill. I have trouble articulating exactly what feels wrong about hunting a feeder. Maybe it's that it feels like it is somewhere on the spectrum in between actual hunting and buying the meat from Walmart.

So I mostly stick with hunting birds and waterfowl. And the elusive White Dimpled Sphere. :wink:

Out of curiosity, do you use blade irons and a gutta percha ball still? Or start your car with a shin breaking crank out front?

There's slightly more to it than just putting a feeder in the woods and filling your freezer. It also requires a lot more room to hunt by glassing, which is difficult for people who hunt on private land. So you're heading out to a wildlife management area, during hunting season, walking around the woods with a bunch of weekend warrior hunters hiding in the trees with high powered rifles ready to shoot the first thing they see.

I'll take my small private land and a feeder any day. Want more sport? Go for archery or muzzle loading guns.

Well there's Melissa Bachman who is an avid hunter and a host on Winchester Deadly Passion. She gets lots of hate on the internet and in general because she's a hunter but especially since she killed a lion and posted a picture of herself with the dead lion. She is even listed as one of the top 10 most infamous hunters on some youtube channels. I've met her a bunch of times at NRA events and I must say she's a really nice person. I have been sticking up for her on the internet whenever she gets hate and whenever people say nasty stuff about her. She hunted the lion legally and people have no right to say some of the stuff that they say about her. From my experience on this forum people have not bashed her or other hunters. There have been other hunting threads here and from what I know people on the forum who don't like hunting simply don't reply to or read such threads. That's what you should do if you're against that sort of stuff.

I don't know where my "line for caring" starts exactly. But it usually starts with me being ok with it if you A. Use the parts, or B. are aiding in population control, responsibly. In Iowa, Deer/Goose population needs to be thinned, so it's cool

I'm deeply anti-hunting. However, I will not start discussing it since I have a tendency to get "impassioned" about it. Then again, I'm a misanthrope, so there's that.

asking genuinely: do people who get upset about hunting for sport also get upset about fishing for sport? my kids are in alabama right now, and daily they go dig up worms, take them down to the retaining wall, and fish for little 2-3" crappie, bass, etc. those worms are getting impaled on the hooks, that can't be fun. then the fish are getting lip piercings against their will having those hooks ripped back out. yowzers.

i just feel like the anti-hunting camp only shows pictures of big game hunts, never little kids with mickey mouse fishing polls and bobbers.

personally i don't give a crap what you do. i've tried it and none of it is for me.

asking genuinely: do people who get upset about hunting for sport also get upset about fishing for sport? my kids are in alabama right now, and daily they go dig up worms, take them down to the retaining wall, and fish for little 2-3" crappie, bass, etc. those worms are getting impaled on the hooks, that can't be fun. then the fish are getting lip piercings against their will having those hooks ripped back out. yowzers.

i just feel like the anti-hunting camp only shows pictures of big game hunts, never little kids with mickey mouse fishing polls and bobbers.

personally i don't give a crap what you do. i've tried it and none of it is for me.

Not a big fan of fishing either. At least there's the opportunity to throw them back in the water.

Growing up a county boy, I learned to shoot and hunt at a very young age. As far as I'm concerned, hunting is fine if you are using the animal or giving it to someone who will.
Activists that believe in all animals deserve to live and they have souls and yadda yadda yadda, had better not be wearing any leather or wool or using any of the millions of products that have animal by-products in them. I would venture to say that it would be impossible to exist day to day without using something that resulted from an animal death.

But that being said, everyone has the right to believe in what they want to.....even if it's wrong. :act-up:

Im originally from Wisconsin, where hunting, fishing and the outdoors are a way of life. I was always taught that killing an animal for meat is fine but it should never be killed just for sport.
I wouldnt say that Im an animal rights activist but I do believe that when the times comes, an animal should be killed as humanely as possible, you should use as much from it as you can and you should only take what you intend to eat.
I dont believe in killing something for sport, I just dont think its right.

I also grew up in Wisconsin where guns, fishing, and hunting are a family tradition for many. I now live in California where many of my friends and neighbors have never shot or even held a gun, let alone hunt. It's very difficult to explain to them them how different the culture is in Wisconsin, but they are surprised and sometimes annoyed when I tell them that 1,500,000 deer hunters go out for the 9 day gun deer season in Wisconsin and kill over 300,000 deer.

One of my neighbors tried to lecture me for killing a rattlesnake that was in my garage, so we can't really have a conversation about hunting.

It's very difficult to explain to them them how different the culture is in Wisconsin, but they are surprised and sometimes annoyed when I tell them that 1,500,000 deer hunters go out for the 9 day gun deer season in Wisconsin and kill over 300,000 deer.
So there must be a deer problem in Wisconsin. There is a big problem with deer overpopulation in NJ and to think, the white tailed deer was at one time an endangered species.

Back