Don't kill for pleasure, its disgusting, thats what some say

Photon Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen threads on this forum where people have talked about hunting and how much they enjoy it. So far I have not seen any messages in respond with disgust to such threads as I would expect some of the people here are no doubt animal rights activists and are therefore against killing animals for just about any reason. Such people do not eat or use any animal products and believe animals should have the same rights to life as a human being. I've even heard stories of such people removing rat poison from buildings because as far as they're concerned rats have as much of a right to live as people. Obviously such people would be absolutely against hunting and fishing but aside from that, I've known of people who aren't as extreme as the animal rights activists but who are absolutely against killing for pleasure. Such people believe its OK to kill out of necessity, for instance if you have to eat, but not kill for pleasure and they would be absolutely disgusted by some of the hunting threads on this forum. As for me, I believe people have the right to hunt and fish provided they have the proper licenses and they're following all the legal regulations for doing so but from what I know about the world of golf, its just like the rest of the world. People from all walks of life and who have just about every political and religious viewpoint take up golf. As such I would think there would be people here who would object to recreational hunting and would say so on the forum.

If the animal is being used for food I don't care. I don't hunt it's not my thing but I don't understand people who think hunting is wrong and every tree needs a hug especially when it comes to invasive species.

There are more reasons to hunt and fish than providing food or simple pleasure. Your state game control service monitors animal populations and makes adjustments to seasons, limits, and zone restrictions while depending on hunters to play a role in conservation. They're ultimately not all that concerned with why you hunt or what you do with your harvests, but they recognize that hunters are a critical part of animal conservation. This doesn't even address the issues of nuisance animals or predatory animals. It doesn't fit with what I believe personally about hunting, but hunting for purely recreational purposes (provided it is still in accordance with state regulations) is still helpful to our environment even if it is wasting a food resource.

Won't get into the ethics of hunting/taking an animals life but hunters have done more to support the aquisition & conservation of lands that support game & non-game animals than any other interest group. Without duck stamps, Pittman-Robertson funds, conservation lobbies etc. much of the farmable midwest, upper midwest & plains would be agricultural deserts with very little biodiversity. Much opportunity out there for many diverse groups to get together and improve the situations & populations of all wildlife but the ethics argument around hunting gets in the way. Damn shame too because for all that has been accomplished the overall fight is being lost and eventually many of the islands of conservation that have been built will become too isolated from other viable habitat & unsustainable just like many of the areas have in the eastern third of the US.

Last edited:
I hope that anyone who complains about hunting is a vegan . . .

I hope that anyone who complains about hunting is a vegan . . .

Not all of them are, there are some people who eat meat who are absolutely disgusted by killing done for pleasure, and that would include all kinds of sport hunting.

So far the responses to this thread have all been in favor of hunting, or at least tolerant of it. I am going to post a link below. So might I ask, how do you like this picture? Would anybody want the rifle? If you ask me its a beauty.

https://americanhuntingrifles.com/?page_id=37

Not a fan of hunting for fun, although not enough to be vocal about it. Fox hunting would probably be the only thing I was a little vocal about, but I don't think that happens over here anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my place to judge. I feel that people who hunt/fish and utilize/consume what they catch/kill are ahead of most of us who just pick up their meat at the grocery store/butcher.

Hunting where people are just looking for a trophy to me is a not right, but if it is legal and everything is done in accordance with the law (tags/permits/etc) I am not going to go out and blast them for doing so.

To be fair I am outraged over how poorly people park, drive, interact with other other humans and I only complain about that every now and again on this forum.

I'm not a hunter, nor a fan of guns or hunting, but I respect people that see it differently so I just don't look in those threads.

Hunting is not my cup of tea, but I only take issue with others doing it when the animal in question is endangered or protected due to threat of extinction or the like. The photo op trophy hunts (particularly African animals) are pathetic expressions of testosterone or excessive means.

I personally don't hunt, I contract that out ... pick the meat up in the meat department at Walmart.

It spares me from seeing the animal die, and the bad feeling that I just took a life ... which I HATE that feeling. Somehow it less painful to see the portion of the animal that someone else killed, wrapped in cellophane with a price tag on it. Makes me feel a lot less guilty.

I am totally good with whatever side of the hunting fence you reside on ... the above is just my view ... because I hate "killing" an animal now, but do enjoy a good cut of meat.

Hunting is not my cup of tea, but I only take issue with others doing it when the animal in question is endangered or protected due to threat of extinction or the like. The photo op trophy hunts (particularly African animals) are pathetic expressions of testosterone or excessive means.

A largest of those expeditions are to help control animal population as well as protect the villages and communities plus provide a source of funding for the villages as well. While many are displayed as trophy hunts they are truly conservational hunts.

Won't get into the ethics of hunting/taking an animals life but hunters have done more to support the aquisition & conservation of lands that support game & non-game animals than any other interest group. Without duck stamps, Pittman-Robertson funds, conservation lobbies etc. much of the farmable midwest, upper midwest & plains would be agricultural deserts with very little biodiversity. Much opportunity out there for many diverse groups to get together and improve the situations & populations of all wildlife but the ethics argument around hunting gets in the way. Damn shame too because for all that has been accomplished the overall fight is being lost and eventually many of the islands of conservation that have been built will become too isolated from other viable habitat & unsustainable just like many of the areas have in the eastern third of the US.

I agree. I use to hunt growing up and well into my 30's. My parents were very strict when it came to hunting and fishing. Kill only what you will EAT! I stopped hunting years ago but I still fish, and I only keep what the law allows me to keep to eat. I kill no living things even if they invade my home. We have lizards running everywhere in Florida, and I've yet to have one inside, but if when I do I will try and trap it for the return outside because they have a job they do, and they do it well. Even to ugly possum lives if I have a say, because of the cleaning work they do.

I am for hunting when it serves a purpose. Legit population control, food, etc. Basically if you eat it and/or if there are already too many of it, I have no problem at all with hunting it.

Where I have a problem is:

1) Killing something just to kill it, both because it's a waste of a natural resource and because I think the idea of someone who just wants to kill something solely for the sake of killing it is more than a little scary.
2) Killing something endangered, for obvious reasons.

I don't hunt anymore but have been to a dove shoot and quail hunt a time or three in my day. We used to fish nearly every weekend until we moved to the DFW area and there's no salt water for miles and miles. Every dove shoot and quail hunt ended with eating what was harvested that day. Every few fishing trips ended up as fish fries for my rather large family and/or church. We ate what we harvested.

The taxes on licenses, gear, gas, equipment etc.. are the driving force behind many small towns in my home land of South Georgia and North Florida and there's a whole bunch of good people that would go without if not for those revenue streams. Those same tax dollars go towards many of the conservation programs that everyone gets to enjoy, or at least has access to if they are so inclined. Commercial fishing does more harm than any recreational ever could, just take a look at the gill net ban in Florida that nearly wiped redfish out of that state's waters.

If an animal is endangered or protected than there will be laws that prevent hunting it. Somebody who breaks the law and hunts such animals anyway, they are not a hunter they are a poacher. I am not a fan of poaching and any poachers that are caught should be dealt with properly.

It spares me from seeing the animal die, and the bad feeling that I just took a life ... which I HATE that feeling. Somehow it less painful to see the portion of the animal that someone else killed, wrapped in cellophane with a price tag on it. Makes me feel a lot less guilty.
So do you ever go fishing and not throw back the fish you catch? People who don't hunt for the reasons you posted, it stands to reason that they also won't go fishing where they don't throw the fish back that they catch for the same reason, they don't want to take a life.

Im originally from Wisconsin, where hunting, fishing and the outdoors are a way of life. I was always taught that killing an animal for meat is fine but it should never be killed just for sport.
I wouldnt say that Im an animal rights activist but I do believe that when the times comes, an animal should be killed as humanely as possible, you should use as much from it as you can and you should only take what you intend to eat.
I dont believe in killing something for sport, I just dont think its right.

I am for hunting when it serves a purpose. Legit population control, food, etc. Basically if you eat it and/or if there are already too many of it, I have no problem at all with hunting it.

1) Killing something just to kill it, both because it's a waste of a natural resource and because I think the idea of someone who just wants to kill something solely for the sake of killing it is more than a little scary.

My sentiments exactly.

I'll add that one can enjoy hunting without taking pleasure in killing. Kind of like boxing... there is a lot to enjoy regarding the skill, discipline, talent, athleticism, etc... but someone who enjoys watching the violence of it or the boxer who wants to kill the other guy has something morally twisted inside... that goes for a lot of sports -- people who watch nascar to see a wreck or the lineman who actually tries to hurt the quarterback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a hunter, nor a fan of guns or hunting, but I respect people that see it differently so I just don't look in those threads.

these two posts sum up my thoughts on the subject very well.

My dog killed a rabbit this morning. But, she ate it, even though she got her store bought food for breakfast this morning. So, for her, was that survival, protecting my house from the vicious rabbit, or fun? :angel: :confused2:

My dog killed a rabbit this morning. But, she ate it, even though she got her store bought food for breakfast this morning. So, for her, was that survival, protecting my house from the vicious rabbit, or fun? :angel: :confused2:

OT but along the same lines my dogs just destroyed a bunny den w/ about 5 little ones that were no more than a day old. Didn't eat but after trying to "play" w/ 'em they didn't stand a chance. I blame the mother that thought it was a good idea to make a deposit in the yard she's been chased out of for the last few months.

What bothered me a lot was the 60 Minutes segment a few years ago on hunting in Africa. They showed a lion in an enclosure and some guy shooting it. The reaction of the lion sickened me and I turned the channel immediately. I'm sure you can probably find it online, but I never did the search. That wasn't sport, imo. That was like driving through a neighborhood, seeing a dog in a yard and just shooting it.

I don't hunt, and I don't mind people hunting at all. Many of my friends hunt, and I won't turn down venison! But to kill for the sake of killing, especially if it's like what I just mentioned is not cool, in my opinion.

OT but along the same lines my dogs just destroyed a bunny den w/ about 5 little ones that were no more than a day old. Didn't eat but after trying to "play" w/ 'em they didn't stand a chance. I blame the mother that thought it was a good idea to make a deposit in the yard she's been chased out of for the last few months.

I find dead moles in our yard from time to time. Problem is that I find a lot of deep holes in my yard more often than I find dead moles, from the dogs doing their hunt!

Back