Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Great review Jman! Wasn't planning on upgrading my driver but this one is definitely changing my mind...

Your spot on James...couldn't believe the difference from just a single shaft swap. I put a shaft in there that I knew was a good combo from DBD and instant turn around. What baffles me even more is that I fortunate opportunity to hit yet a different shaft this week and it also impressed me on the course.

That shaft I've never tried before so it makes me think what else am I leaving out there to gain in yards? It was even older product and was remarkable. I have to get myself to a location that has the full monty of available options to see. Thank you sir!

Dude what a good review. I want this club in a bad way

I am officially bagging this driver now! The forgiveness has really shined for me and helped me to start getting some confidence on my driver swing. I have this paired with kuro kage tini 60g stiff (tipped .75 inch) and playing at 45.5. Hosel is set at s/n on a 9° head, APW set directly behind the "B" in bertha. Quality strikes provide a straight to baby draw for me. Less than stellar swings are usually met with a small fade, distance loss being very minimal. I've put some real poor strikes on it and it has kept me in play, which I can't say about many other drivers. I look forward to continuing to put some feedback in here

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Very nice review James. I wondered how you would take the information you've been posting and compile the same for your review and it was great. Looking forward to your follow up posts as you spending more time with your final settings and get more rounds in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review as always, finally going to hit this tomorrow at a combo lesson / fitting.

Great review as always, finally going to hit this tomorrow at a combo lesson / fitting.
Take your wallet with you, you will buy it, it is that good

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Another hone run of a review Jman. Well done, thanks for all the work on this.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

So, I want to say a couple things now that the review is up.

Some may call this comment homerism, but I can assure you it isn't. The GBB is the most interesting and adaptable ALL AROUND driver I have reviewed/tested. The retention seen across the face during testing was honestly staggering.

There is a unique aspect to this though, I think people REALLY need to remember that:

a) Taking the same shaft you always use and plugging it in may lead to you miss the boat on this one as I've now played 6 different shafts in the head with incredibly varying results. I firmly believe that this one can be fit/tuned for 95% of swings, they key is realizing that being fit is key here. Not simply assuming what you saw with one particular shaft makes it a miss (I know J4U saw this when I pressured him to go hit it again).

b) HIT THE CLUB OUTSIDE. Some will undoubtedly (and have) go to the store, hit this, then hit the DBD, freak about a spin difference in the two, and NEVER ONCE take into account the on the course aspect. I know its the internet and many don't miss, but some of us do, and THAT is where you find out how well a club performs for you. NOT just in a bay with launch and spin, sure its a part of it, but I have never tested a driver that reacts like this to misses (and with MANY different types of golfers now). I have no issues putting myself out there with this one.
I wanted to quote myself on this one, not for arrogance or self indulgence, rather because I really thing it stands true.

I'll add that this head really does stagger me at times, I've no issues saying that it's been hard to really try to reign in my comments while reviewing and keep an even keel because of how I feared it would be viewed otherwise. But, it IS that damn good. Probably the best head I have ever tested in terms of overall performance and adaptability to different swings and shafts.

I am officially bagging this driver now! The forgiveness has really shined for me and helped me to start getting some confidence on my driver swing. I have this paired with kuro kage tini 60g stiff (tipped .75 inch) and playing at 45.5. Hosel is set at s/n on a 9° head, APW set directly behind the "B" in bertha. Quality strikes provide a straight to baby draw for me. Less than stellar swings are usually met with a small fade, distance loss being very minimal. I've put some real poor strikes on it and it has kept me in play, which I can't say about many other drivers. I look forward to continuing to put some feedback in here
It is nice to see you more comfortable with a big dog on the tee. Now I don't feel as bad when your the last one on approach.

I wanted to quote myself on this one, not for arrogance or self indulgence, rather because I really thing it stands true.

I'll add that this head really does stagger me at times, I've no issues saying that it's been hard to really try to reign in my comments while reviewing and keep an even keel because of how I feared it would be viewed otherwise. But, it IS that damn good. Probably the best head I have ever tested in terms of overall performance and adaptability to different swings and shafts.

i missed this. Very good points here. Thanks for the heads up on trying out the different shafts. After all my questions and pondering, the GBB is what I'm going with :)

Great review. Lot of info in there to digest and ponder.

Excellent review James. I'm liking the sound of this driver more and more. Love that they brought the sliding weight back!

~Rock

Periscope with Doc was solid. Nice to see some THPers in there.

It got pushed till tomorrow at 2:30 and I will have my wallet. I hope he has lots of shafts in stock to try out.

Take your wallet with you, you will buy it, it is that good

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I pre-ordered mine on 8-14-15 with a ship date/release date of 8-28-15...Mine has not been shipped yet. Anyone else pre-order one?

Fantastic review and the Periscope from Callaway this afternoon was awesome as well. So much fun to see inside a different type of lab since I was playing with chemicals in mine today!

That was a hell of a review. This thing, this thing sounds legit.

And now I really really want one. James you suck sometimes...good work :)

This I got to try out! Great review.

Putting my GBB in play this weekend at Hammock Beach for a Father Son tournament of sorts with my 75 year old father that now wants one badly. He saw mine, and fell in love. Something tells me it will be his by the time the weekend is over.

Awesome review Jman. Throughly enjoyed reading that one. Packed with tons of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting my GBB in play this weekend at Hammock Beach for a Father Son tournament of sorts with my 75 year old father that now wants one badly. He saw mine, and fell in love. Something tells me it will be his by the time the weekend is over.
Its honest to goodness that dang solid.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, appreciate you all taking the time to read.

Back