My 2017 Golf-A-Thon Fundraiser (aka: I played a lot of golf yesterday)

links_slayer

Reaction score
Handicap
tl;dr Cliff's: 126 holes over 11.5 hours plus more than $8,800 raised for head and neck cancer research at UW Carbone Cancer Center

=========

In 2013 I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. As a non-smoking, non-chewing 30 year old, to say I was low risk for this type of cancer would be an enormous understatement. A 10+ hour surgery, 2 days in the ICU, a week in the hospital, 6-8 weeks of recovery at home, 30 days of radiation, and 6-8 more weeks of recovery at home later I was back on my feet. Anyway, on the 1st anniversary of my surgery I decided to do a golf-a-thon fundraiser as a way to give back to the cancer center that performed my surgery. I golfed 90 holes and raised right around $2,500.

This year was the 4th installment of this event. I teed off at 5:33am and holed out on my 126th hole just after 5:00pm. I've raised over $23,000 to date. Just typing this gives me goosebumps.

Below are the final numbers and some pics. Enjoy! :)

FN9tXO2.jpg

C4FfUdZ.jpg

A0HGDSl.jpg

LNJcvbr.jpg

DZThZs8.jpg

wK6kpjB.jpg

This is fantastic. Impressive accomplishment. Your a hero in my book. Keep doing the great work.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Congrats on all the golf and even more on the money raised towards research. Only 126 holes. Seems like you were playing a little slow. :alien:

Awesome story, I to am a cancer survivor , same one u had, started in tonsil, then base of tongue and lymph nodes , had a partial neck dissection, chemo and radiation and 2 heart attacks on the fifth week of treatment, I'm now 7 years out and playing golf again, it's not easy and i really know how you feel!! Keep on keeping on

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your accomplishments.

126 holes, holy crap. Kudos to you dude. 23k raised is an amazing accomplishment.

Awesome news, and you played some good golf...well done in all facets!

congrats on the solid day. WTG on the fundraising

Great job and very happy to read how much you've raised thru Golf, that has to be humbling and exciting at the same time. Keep it up!

Very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on raising the money and congrats on the rounds you played. No way I could score like that playing that many holes. And the biggest congrats on beating cancer!

That is really impressive! What a great way to raise money. How did the fundraiser work? Did people sponsor you for completing a set amount of holes or was it based on straight donations?

That is really impressive! What a great way to raise money. How did the fundraiser work? Did people sponsor you for completing a set amount of holes or was it based on straight donations?

Most have opted for straight donations. Several people pledge a certain $$/hole each year. Another option folks have really liked over the years is the following pledge:

1¢ / stroke
$100 / hole-in-one
$5 / eagle
$1 / birdie
10¢ / par
$1 / hole-out from off the green
50¢ / 1-putt
25¢ / 2-putt

This one usually results in an approximately $50-$60 donation :)

Last edited:
Huge congrats! I've played 72 holes in one day before and that was tough enough!

I'm late because I somehow missed your post last month links_slayer. You are an inspiration, well done.

This is awesome. Congrats to you on everything that you have done these past years. Good to see people giving back and what a better way than to do what you love all day! I still have only played 18 in a day... that needs to change!

Back