The thoughts of these kinds of putts make me cringe!

20d967376f8a88255a46d8679ccc3571.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thoughts of these kinds of putts make me cringe!

20d967376f8a88255a46d8679ccc3571.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a lot of trouble with these but to be fair I would practice a few every now and then just for grins (or maybe a beer bet). Thick bermuda up against the ball was toughest to judge and sometimes it can even lay over the top of the ball. Even then I used to always just belly them with a SW using my putting grip with good success. Now that I use a hybrid with my putting grip they seem even easier. Less margin for error.

I either blade a wedge or use my hybrid. I habe such a hard time putting like that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I don't like these either, but I usually play it forward in the stance and just thin it on purpose. Lately I've managed to do quite well that way.

I usually play it forward and just make sure i don't decel on the stroke.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As indicated by the posts, this shot is more challenging than just about any other common shot on the course. Even the pros get this one wrong, so of course so do I. I have over the years developed better skills for reading this and more options for dealing with a ball on the collar. When in doubt, I'll treat it like a chip from the rough. I've got a hands forward, ball back with a hinging action type chip that works as well as any in the rough.

I don't like these either, but I usually play it forward in the stance and just thin it on purpose. Lately I've managed to do quite well that way.
This is exactly what I do when I run into it. Results are mixed, but usually ok enough for me to have a good chance at the 2nd putt (which is really all you can ask for from this damn lie).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A bit of forward shaft lean and weight forward makes these roll end over end. I'm not a fan of the shot but learned to play them long ago.

Looking at the posts it occurred to me that expectations matter in answering this question. It appears the goal for some of us is...
...get it on the green with a good chance to then 2-putt
...others want it with a reasonable chance to 1-putt after getting it off the collar
...still others want a good chance to hole it or leave a kick-in.

Back