Slicing wildly...need help!

jimsizzle

Reaction score
Handicap
Was playing yesterday and was slicing wildly, and have been for the past few weeks. One of the guys I was playing with mentioned that I was way too flat (which I've verified on video) as a result of turning my hips with my shoulders. Will restricting hip turn, and turning my upper body against the hips help get a more vertical swing? Are the two even related? Should I focus more on restricting hip turn and less about how flat/vertical my backswing is?

Just hoping to get back to hitting straight and solid shots. Feeling pretty helpless right now

Was playing yesterday and was slicing wildly, and have been for the past few weeks. One of the guys I was playing with mentioned that I was way too flat (which I've verified on video) as a result of turning my hips with my shoulders. Will restricting hip turn, and turning my upper body against the hips help get a more vertical swing? Are the two even related? Should I focus more on restricting hip turn and less about how flat/vertical my backswing is?

Just hoping to get back to hitting straight and solid shots. Feeling pretty helpless right now

If you can capture a video post it and Freddie will get you fixed up.

Agree with John, going to be hard for Freddie to diagnose without a video. That said, I don't think restricting the hips against the upper body is the solution. Rotation in general is good. More likely a takeaway issue. Anyhow, let Freddie see a video and he'll spot the issue, guaranteed.

Your hip turn isn't the reason for your flat swing. Your flat swing has everything to do with your arm path and spine angle. My guess is that you too far inside on the take away. Right leg may be breaking down (straightening) and you spine angle is being compromised.

Your hip turn isn't the reason for your flat swing. Your flat swing has everything to do with your arm path and spine angle. My guess is that you too far inside on the take away. Right leg may be breaking down (straightening) and you spine angle is being compromised.

Thanks Freddie. I'll upload a video this evening and get your thoughts.

Got some vids for you to examine Freddie. Thanks again for the help!

really interested to read freddie's thoughts.

Me too. I've seen my swing on video before and knew I was way inside and flat, but couldn't believe the video I took last night.

The modern day golf swing is based on big muscle movements. Legs, hips and shoulders with some arms mixed in. The hands are used to hold onto the club and play a small role in swing.

Your golf swing uses the hands and wrist to the tune of 50%. Tour take away is all hands and wrist. The club head reaches the right hip before the shoulders begin to turn. Your right hand could carry a tray of drinks when you shoulders start to turn. This is why the club remains flat as it moves around your body.

I'd like you to work on the thumbs up drill. Like you are hitchhiking. At address your thumbs are pointed down. At your waist they are pointed up at the top they are pointed down your shoulder line. Back down to the right hip, thumbs up. At impact, thumbs down and turning to point up when the arms reach the left hip.

Move the hands with the arms. The triangle created with your shoulders and arms moves back and up. Down and through, always stay in front of your chest. Want to know what this feels like? Place the butt of a club into your sternum. Arms extended down the shaft. Keep club in sternum as you turn shoulders 90*. As you reach your right hip, the right arm will begin to fold and the butt of the club will come off your chest. As you move back down to impact that club will return. The chest moves over the ball and the arms extend down the line. The left arm will fold after impact and the butt of the club will come off your chest.

Work on this to get your swing more upright vs flat.

I will give that a try. Thank you for the help!!!!

Work on this in segments. Setup to the ball, hold the arms in that triangle to the right knee....hold. Do it again...repeat. The idea is to get the feeling and to be aware of that club face.

Move that triangle to the right hip and repeat. **** be sure that the right arm remains relaxed***** there should be a slight bend in that arm.

Move from section to section always returning to base. When you get to the top of the swing. Look at the clubs position. Feel the tension in the lats, shoulders, legs, core. Hold that and remember the feeling.

Will do! I've got some time to spend on the range today so I'll focus on this.

Back