elacher10

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm looking into to getting a new sand wedge and lob wedge. Was looking at the new Vokey or the Mack Daddy. Anybody recommend anything else? Looking for a little forgiveness with the tour look. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a big fan of both the MD3's and the Vokeys

Both solid options, the Pur wedges from Cobra are pretty awesome and I would love to check out the 60* wide low sole.

The RTX3 from Cleveland are also very impressive and if you want added forgiveness the CB models are an option.

To me at least, wedges are kind of a personal thing just like a putter. If it feels good, makes a nice contact, not too stiff, and I can open it up, I'll give it a shot.

All options are good, however, you might want to look at Callaway Sure Outs, as well. "Tour look" is fine, but at the end of the day, these things just work.

I ended up finding a used mack daddy in great condition. Works great around the greens. I keep missing right on my approach. Seems I either lost distance or my swing is just off. I used to hit my SW consistently at 100yds. Now I'm around the 89 yd range.

I hit a buddy's mizuno S5 wedge as a comparison to my vokey sm5. Amazingly soft feel by comparison. Miz wedges will be high on the list come time to replace current gamers.

I don't think you can go wrong. I've always been a fan of swinging a wedge, and if it feels comfortable to swing, then that's 80% of what I'm looking for in a wedge.

I'm loving the mack daddy forged wedges I'm gaming right now. They feel so natural to swing, but that's subjective. Plenty of spin, hit the ball pretty high and pretty far, maybe 2-3 yards longer than the Wilson TC wedges I was gaming before, which is downright impressive.

I've never hit a Vokey wedge that I didn't like. Again, if it feels good to swing, you are most of the way there.

Don't overlook the Cobra PUR. Might be one of the most 'under the radar' wedges out there this year. A bit cheaper than most, gorgeous to look at, and the highest spin wedge I can recall ever hitting. Did I mention it is also the softest feeling wedge I've hit in several years?

Good luck, if you have a kind local course that lets you take wedges out to the driving range to demo, that is the best way to do it (without a fitting).

~Rock

+1 for RTX3

You must look at the RTX3 wedges.

I don't think you can go wrong. I've always been a fan of swinging a wedge, and if it feels comfortable to swing, then that's 80% of what I'm looking for in a wedge.

I'm loving the mack daddy forged wedges I'm gaming right now. They feel so natural to swing, but that's subjective. Plenty of spin, hit the ball pretty high and pretty far, maybe 2-3 yards longer than the Wilson TC wedges I was gaming before, which is downright impressive.

I've never hit a Vokey wedge that I didn't like. Again, if it feels good to swing, you are most of the way there.

Don't overlook the Cobra PUR. Might be one of the most 'under the radar' wedges out there this year. A bit cheaper than most, gorgeous to look at, and the highest spin wedge I can recall ever hitting. Did I mention it is also the softest feeling wedge I've hit in several years?

Good luck, if you have a kind local course that lets you take wedges out to the driving range to demo, that is the best way to do it (without a fitting).

~Rock

I will definitely give those a swing when I go pick up my F7 driver. Thanks for the advice.

I hit a buddy's mizuno S5 wedge as a comparison to my vokey sm5. Amazingly soft feel by comparison. Miz wedges will be high on the list come time to replace current gamers.

The Mizuno S5 get my vote as well. Great feel, very consistent and versatile, forgiving and can find for a great price (brand new under $90 each).

Back