what do we (you) consider low, mid, high, caps when discussing things

My initial thought was:
Low: <10
Mid: 11-20
High: 21+

Growing up, our course would hold the occasional 4-person scramble. 1 player from each of the below groups
A: <7
B: 8-14
C: 15-21
D: 22+

I think of it as

0-10 - low
11-20 - mid
21+ - high

Thats just how ive always thought about it, it might be wrong.

My partner 441 hit it on the head for my thoughts:

single digit is low, tweens and teens are mids, 20+ is a high handicapper.

Low is 1-5
Mid is 6-15
High is 16+

JMO of course. To me you aren't a "Low handicap" until you are playing and competing in gross scored Tournaments.

Ive always used "low" for sub 10, Mid for 10-18 and High for above 18, but thats just me

DITTO,
tho there are tines when I think 12 and under should be considered "low." Arbitrary, I know

Low is 1-5
Mid is 6-15
High is 16+

JMO of course. To me you aren't a "Low handicap" until you are playing and competing in gross scored Tournaments.

I agree for sure. Golf and gross score events are so different. That is why I included an elite range as well. If you can do it across many courses with pressure against the best players in your area it really makes you a more complete golfer.

I've always considered low to be Single digits, Medium up to 20, and anything above that High.

Low for me is 7 or under. 8-12 is mid and 13/up is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This where I fall as well.

lots of interesting views on this and i didn't think we'd have as many quite as far apart as we are with a number of them.

One view that stands out to me a bit is when some people mention anything more than mid teenish as being high. I mean would a 17 really be high vs say a 26? Imo there is a big difference between those two numbers as for amount of ability and consistency when speaking relatively. And again relatively speaking I could even say the same between a 12 and an 8.
I just feel there are gray areas and can we really call an 8 a mid? in the same category as a 12? Or also call the 17 a high and in the same category as a 26?

IDK

lots of interesting views on this and i didn't think we'd have as many quite as far apart as we are with a number of them.

One view that stands out to me a bit is when some people mention anything more than mid teenish as being high. I mean would a 17 really be high vs say a 26? Imo there is a big difference between those two numbers as for amount of ability and consistency when speaking relatively. And again relatively speaking I could even say the same between a 12 and an 8.
I just feel there are gray areas and can we really call an 8 a mid? in the same category as a 12? Or also call the 17 a high and in the same category as a 26?

IDK
It goes the other way as well would an 8 really be low versus a 0. Anytime you try to break things down it gets messy. I think most of the guidelines that have been laid out have been pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There is no "official" arbiter of these labels, but plus or minus a couple the labels are usually about like this:
Low = 1-10 handicap
Mid = 11-20 handicap
High = 21+

IDK

There's really no way to truly throw all golfers into 3 categories, or even 5 for that matter.
Heck sometimes the only difference between an 8 and a 13 is two wayward tee shots per round, or a few 4-6 ft. putts.

Most competitive events I've played in break it down like this:
Championship flight: 5 or better. Gross scores.
A flight: 5-10. Gross against each other, maybe a simultaneous Net set of prizing.
B flight: 10+. Net scores.

It goes the other way as well would an 8 really be low versus a 0. Anytime you try to break things down it gets messy. I think most of the guidelines that have been laid out have been pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hear ya. But I would think of "0" as scratch and not low..lol
even though technically the HC is always one step ahead and a true scratch would probably be slightly + (or past zero) on the other side. A true scratch would average even par meaning some rounds below and some above while some at par. That would work out to be a +something HC as it only reflects ones better rounds.

But anyway, the whole subjective view thing doesn't have any rights or wrongs of course. But it is interesting to see some the different views.

As one is closing in on single digits, it is hard to get to a 9 handicap because of ESC - those higher scores still count. But once at 9 it is easier to keep it there but it can go back up while at 8 and below one has to start playing some poor golf on a consistent basis to raise their handicap above single digits. So I personally would consider:

1-8 low
9-18 mid
19+ high

Here's the stats from the USGA. Of course it's important to remember that only about 10% of U.S. golfers carry an official USGA index. It's interesting that 37% are better than a 10.9 but only 10% are better than a 5 index.

cb3d1c44dbc3c62c714719ee6cc6f75b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

low is anything below my HDCP
low is what my HDCP was at this time last year
thankfully my HDCP is gradually coming down once again

Here's the stats from the USGA. Of course it's important to remember that only about 10% of U.S. golfers carry an official USGA index. It's interesting that 37% are better than a 10.9 but only 10% are better than a 5 index.

cb3d1c44dbc3c62c714719ee6cc6f75b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it pretty amazing and honestly almost unbelievable that about 50% of people with caps are a 13 or better. I get that this is only accounting for people with caps but still that imo is something quite surprising. Getting to 13 is simply very hard to do even for most avid players. I find it hard to believe that 50% of cap players are at that mark and better. I wonder how many vanity caps are really out there and in that stat? Id say far more people run a vanity cap vs a sandbagging one just simply for bragging rights and remember not at all do all cap keepers play completive golf.

I find it pretty amazing and honestly almost unbelievable that about 50% of people with caps are a 13 or better. I get that this is only accounting for people with caps but still that imo is something quite surprising. Getting to 13 is simply very hard to do even for most avid players. I find it hard to believe that 50% of cap players are at that mark and better. I wonder how many vanity caps are really out there and in that stat? Id say far more people run a vanity cap vs a sandbagging one just simply for bragging rights and remember not at all do all cap keepers play completive golf.

Just saw this and my most recent revision was 12.9. I can't believe I'm only in the top 48% of golfers who keep a cap.

A high handicapper is anyone whose cap is at least 0.1 higher than mine.

Just saw this and my most recent revision was 12.9. I can't believe I'm only in the top 48% of golfers who keep a cap.
not exactly sure which way you were heading with your meaning. A 12.9 is exactly the best I ever got to (for one revision lol) but I would think with that mark you would be in a fairly smaller percentage than 48. Just doesn't sound right to me that nearly 50% are what you are and better. Makes the game sound too easy imo. I almost feel somewhat disheartened and even unlucky that after decades playing 50% of cappers are still better than me. lol

not exactly sure which way you were heading with your meaning. A 12.9 is exactly the best I ever got to (for one revision lol) but I would think with that mark you would be in a fairly smaller percentage than 48. Just doesn't sound right to me that nearly 50% are what you are and better. Makes the game sound too easy imo. I almost feel somewhat disheartened and even unlucky that after decades playing 50% of cappers are still better than me. lol

Yeah I feel bad that if I ran into 100 usga golfers 47 would still be better than me. I thought it would be 25-35 at most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget that the vast majority of people you see on a golf course don't have handicaps, even if they're playing every week. Yes, not all of the people with handicaps are playing competitive golf but I would bet the majority of people who do get one because it's required by a league or game they're in.

Of the golf league I play in (I'm the scorekeeper), I think there are 5 new guys who sent me a GHIN number when they joined. They were all between 8 and 14, and they've played to that cap since they joined.

Back