what do we (you) consider low, mid, high, caps when discussing things

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't think there is any hard line or number per say. I also don't think its of any real great importance either but still we can often discuss things and when we do we may often refer or relate what we discuss to handicaps. I know I may do this often enough. Often mention in discussion low or mid or high cappers and things of that nature similar to what many of us might say.

So where is this imaginary line or number (if there even is one?)

Obviously scratch or better is what it is and I assume we would all know that.
But for me...when I think of low Id have to say single digits. But just where in that territory of single digits? I'm not sure. Is it anything below 10? is it 8 or lower? etc..
This of course leaves room between where low ends and mid begins. I don't consider a 10 a low or a mid but a low/mid. How about 9 or 11?

Similarly on the mid and high side of the scale I don't consider a 20 a mid nor a high but a mid/high. Is 19 a mid yet? Is 21 a high yet?

Its all gray at best and I suppose up to subjective personal view. And if for nothing else... but maybe just some conversation.

Ive always used "low" for sub 10, Mid for 10-18 and High for above 18, but thats just me

Ive always used "low" for sub 10, Mid for 10-18 and High for above 18, but thats just me

This is exactly what I would classify as low, mid and high.

For me, I base it more on scoring.
Low - in the 70s consistently
Mid - 80-90
High - higher.

Accurate? Probably not, just how I always thought of it.

Personally I'd say low is Scratch to about 8. Mid is about 9-18. High is 19 and above. However I am probably on the low side since I think the general stat is like 80% of golfers can't break 90. My numbers I would consider are for "golfers." Not people that play twice a year.

Low for me is 7 or under. 8-12 is mid and 13/up is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty much my breakdown. I would even consider taking low up to 11 and mid to 20

Low 0-7
Mid 8-14
High 15 and up

Depends on where I'm at. I typically think in terms of my local club. Low would be a 3 and below. We have a large active group in this range. Mid would be 4-12 and high would be 13 and up.

low 0-7, mid 8-16, high 17+

Low 0-7 mid 8-14 and high 15+

Some food for thought. Max hdcp in US is 36.4 for men but for sake of conversation I'll keep it at 36 as well as 0 for the lowest. Using low/mid/high based on OPs question you can then break the 0-36 down in the 3 groups to basically

Low 0-11
Mid 12-23
High 24+

I look at it similarly to how some of the courses I play do where they suggest tees based off hdcp

Low 1-8
Mid 9-16
High 16+

Those that are like 20+ are probably the type that play 5x a year and have a hdcp but you question the legitimacy of it anyway lol

I've always thought of a mid capper as somebody who can at least shoot bogey golf on a semi-consistent basis, and a low capper as someone who has a legit shot of breaking 80 on most courses. So using that as a guide, I say:

Low: Single digits
Mid: 10-18
High: Above 18

Personally, I have two other sub categories as well - "Very low" handicaps being 4 or better (or people I define as having a shot of breaking par more than once every other year or so), and "very high" handicaps above 30 (or people who have difficulty breaking 100).

Low - 10 and lower
Mid- - 11-20
High - 20+
I like simple maths.

Low-70s
Mid-80s
High-90s+

The problem with this classification is that the bulk of golfers end up in the high handicap range. Surely 91-93 shooters are not going to be happy being in the same range as the 120s high handicappers. On the opposite range a 74 shooters have quite a different game and skills as a 79 shooters and it may take longer time to lower a move the needle down than any scoring range.

I guess it is what is when it comes to golfers' "right of passage".

Low:0 -8
Mid: 9-16
High:17-25

I will add elite around +2 or better, basically have a shot at making matchplay of mid am/am (the actual number is probably closer to +4)
Really high: 26+ (nothing wrong with this but it makes the person have to consider if the course they are going to is too hard and stay away from those type of courses)

There is tons of grey areas as I don't expect to beat a scratch player hardly ever and a 9 handicap is going to crush a 16

i know most open tournament flights in my area are flighted with numbers as (and you could bump each up by a couple numbers, two or three)

championship 0-3
president 3-8
first 8-12
second 12-16
third 16 and up

in my opinion

low 0-8
mid 8-16
high 16 and up

Some food for thought. Max hdcp in US is 36.4 for men but for sake of conversation I'll keep it at 36 as well as 0 for the lowest. Using low/mid/high based on OPs question you can then break the 0-36 down in the 3 groups to basically

Low 0-11
Mid 12-23
High 24+

^^^This is my mindset as well, if you break it into 3 groups.....

Low:0 -8
Mid: 9-16
High:17-25

I will add elite around +2 or better, basically have a shot at making matchplay of mid am/am (the actual number is probably closer to +4)
Really high: 26+ (nothing wrong with this but it makes the person have to consider if the course they are going to is too hard and stay away from those type of courses)

There is tons of grey areas as I don't expect to beat a scratch player hardly ever and a 9 handicap is going to crush a 16
This makes the most sense to me if you think about getting strokes on holes for 18 holes.

Less than half- low
More than half- mid
More than one per hole- high

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here in the UK golfers are split into 5 categories, the Buffer Zone varies for each handicap category as follows:

Category 1 – (up to 5) – CSS +1 stroke.
Category 2 – (6 to 12) – CSS +2 strokes.
Category 3 – (13 to 20) – CSS +3 strokes.
Category 4 – (21 to 28) – CSS +4 strokes.
Category 5 – (29 to 36) – CSS +5 strokes.

this then formed my opinions on how to categorise
low is up to 5
low to mid
mid
mid to high
high

i'm pretty sure some golf stores online here use similar 5 point categories to identify golf club target audience

Back