myrtle beach (and not necessarily golf related)

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Deciding where to go with the fame for a week or at least several days. Myrtle is a place Ive sort of always wanted to go in one sense. But I am always hesitant due to crowds. I don't desire to be on beaches and in beach towns that are overly mobbed. Its one the reasons I don even care to go to some of my most local own jersey shore beaches much anymore. There are a number of beach towns we can go to from the jersey shore through delware, ,Maryland, VA, North and south Carolina's that are very nice places and id like to know from those who have been to Myrtle. Is there anything so special that separates it from other shore towns along the east coast? Is it far too crowded? Is there anything about it family wise that I couldn't find, see and do, elsewhere? Basically...is it worth the extra driving time or will I be disappointed with over crowdedness and not much else so special? Perhaps we can find the same pleasure driving much less like perhaps Virginia beach (which I never been) or some other place more worthy of a trip.

I have been to the outter banks oif NC. Ive also been to ocean city Maryland. Is Myrtle anything much special to see and be more than those? Would VA beach be as pleasant or heck...even be as crowded..lol

Just looking for a good reason to go besides golf which I can basically do anywhere and wont do too much of anyway. Is Myrtle that big a deal and a must do/see vs other shore towns?

Thanks in advance

If you do decide to go to Myrtle Beach, I'd recommend staying near Surfside, Garden City, or Murrell's Inlet. Huntington Beach State Park is a great place to go if you actually want to visit the ocean ... it's not expensive, but the charge does keep plenty of people away so the beaches at the state park are a lot less crowded.

Myrtle Beach markets itself very well. There is plenty of shopping (e.g., Tanger Outlets) and other entertainment options (Carolina Opry, House of Blues, etc) but otherwise I'm of the mind that a beach is a beach. It's like Breckenridge or Gatlinburg ... it's designed for tourists so has lots of tourist-y stuff to complement the main draw (be it beach or mountains).

I used to live in Virginia Beach and it can be very crowded if you want to stay around the boardwalk. If you want to go to that area, consider renting a Home in Sandbridge. The homes are beautiful and the beach in that area is not very crowded and not very choppy. Much nicer for the kids. VERY nice Golfing in that area, too.

The other option is the Outer Banks or Cape Hatteras Island just south of Virginia Beach. That type of vacation is all about relaxation though. It is quiet, not very populated, and mostly hang out by the beach or the sound. Great place for Deep Sea Fishing, but very little golf in that area at all.

Deuce is right on with his reply. Stay away from North Myrtle beach and try to stay in Surfside, Oceanside or Murrells Inlet areas to avoid the crowds. Murrells Inlet has great restaurants and is in close proximity to Surfside Beach and Oceanside areas.

The other option is the Outer Banks or Cape Hatteras Island just south of Virginia Beach. That type of vacation is all about relaxation though. It is quiet, not very populated, and mostly hang out by the beach or the sound. Great place for Deep Sea Fishing, but very little golf in that area at all.
Agreed. I've spent a couple of vacations at a B&B on Ocracoke and doing nothing but walking the island picking and eating figs, or hanging out on the beach. There is nothing commercial on the island (at least the last time I was there five or so years ago), and you can only get to it by ferry (from either Hatteras or the mainland). Those were the best vacations I've ever taken, and I'm trying to convince friends and family to do it again in a couple of years.

If you do decide to go to Myrtle Beach, I'd recommend staying near Surfside, Garden City, or Murrell's Inlet. Huntington Beach State Park is a great place to go if you actually want to visit the ocean ... it's not expensive, but the charge does keep plenty of people away so the beaches at the state park are a lot less crowded.

Myrtle Beach markets itself very well. There is plenty of shopping (e.g., Tanger Outlets) and other entertainment options (Carolina Opry, House of Blues, etc) but otherwise I'm of the mind that a beach is a beach. It's like Breckenridge or Gatlinburg ... it's designed for tourists so has lots of tourist-y stuff to complement the main draw (be it beach or mountains).

And that bolded statement is what Im thinking. I can save many hours of driving and find similar enough at plenty places closer to home. Im giving some thought to VA beach (Inever been), OC MD (I have been) or perhaps a couple jersey shore towns or even NC outter banks (which I have been as well). I can also do something I love but have done many times already and head upstate to Lake George NY. I have never been in such clean lake water than that place. And beautiful mountainous surroundings. So im all over the freaking map as you can tell lol...... But was looking for some good info and a great reason for someone to say Myrtle is a must do/see above other places that are closer to me.

And that bolded statement is what Im thinking. I can save many hours of driving and find similar enough at plenty places closer to home. Im giving some thought to VA beach (Inever been), OC MD (I have been) or perhaps a couple jersey shore towns or even NC outter banks (which I have been as well). I can also do something I love but have done many times already and head upstate to Lake George NY. I have never been in such clean lake water than that place. And beautiful mountainous surroundings. So im all over the freaking map as you can tell lol...... But was looking for some good info and a great reason for someone to say Myrtle is a must do/see above other places that are closer to me.
If you gave me the option between MB and Lake George, as a native New Yorker but South Carolinian transplant, I'd personally chose Lake George. Another would be the Thousand Islands.

I'd keep driving down to Charleston. Stay in town or Mt Pleasant or Isle of Palms.Real American History, great food. Good golf. Ok beaches, Wrightsville Beach outside of Wilmington wont be a bad choice either.

Back