Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Gahdammit.

I hit this recently and loved everything about it. Everything. Ugh.

I am really not surprised by the response this one is getting. On the button, this thing is top tier.
I tried it with an Evo II in it. the club felt really well balanced and generally easy to swing.

I tried it with an Evo II in it. the club felt really well balanced and generally easy to swing.

I didn't even bother hitting any of the stock shafts, the Handcrafted was just absolutely perfect in it.

I ordered the 816 DBD last week just because the driver is the one club I will splurge on but I honestly can't imagine it out performing the 815 DBD. That club is beastly long, reasonably forgiving and awfully purdy. Hopefully the 816 arrives soon cause I have a four day weekend and not much to do.

I hate waiting...

Put a few swings on this club today while at GG. I really need a working LM and my current shaft. I loved the look at address and it felt good but the monitor said my peak height was 14y...so I didn't trust anything it said

I did pre-order. They don't hit retail until 9/18.

My bad I thought they were out already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put the 815 DBD back in the bag tonight for a range session and remembered why I should have never left it. Really cannot wait to try this one out when it hits the shelves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the 815 DBD back in the bag tonight for a range session and remembered why I should have never left it. Really cannot wait to try this one out when it hits the shelves

It's at my Golf Galaxy. Haven't checked the other big box stores, but that's where I hit the 816 and GBB

Put a few swings on this club today while at GG. I really need a working LM and my current shaft. I loved the look at address and it felt good but the monitor said my peak height was 14y...so I didn't trust anything it said

Alright update time since I got on a working monitor today...

They had a 9° head (I need a 10.5°) and I can't remember the shaft right now. Probably just the stock shaft. My first couple shots were low liners and nothing special. So I checked the gravity core and hosel settings. Gravity core was heel side and down and settings were N/S. I changed the GC to toe side/up and went to a +2/N on the hosel. My miss is almost always toe and high so that's why I placed the GC like that so quick.

Anyway the numbers speak for themselves. Current gamer in ( )...

Swing speed: 113 (111)
Ball speed: 166 (161)
Carry distance: 276 (270)

Launch was still too low but I'm pretty sure my current shaft will help that and so would a 10.5° head.

If I can find the extra money, I'll put this in the bag for sure. Nice improvement over the '14 Alpha for me.

Hit this on my lunch break today..... Just take my money please

I just booked a fitting session and this is #1 on the list to hit.

Actually got to hit it last night in the same setup I am currently using...

Anyone want to buy a DBD 815??? lol thing was money with my typical hit toward the toe of the driver. Spin was managable, but that toe hit just felt like it flew for miles... I think this will be in my bag before long...

Low spinning beast in my trial. For those that really suffer from spin off the tee, this is something to take a look at.
What he said. Hit this on the sim at Golfsmith today. Was seeing sub 2000 spin with 14 degree launch.

Ordered mine yesterday. It just felt so good at the fitting day. There is something to be said for the gravity core. Made a difference that was too hard to ignore.

Just found out my driver is due to arrive tomorrow so it will be waiting for me when I get home from Texas on Wednesday.

Well mine finally arrived. It's not nearly as pretty as the 815 DBD but thanks to Project X and THP I can test it against my current 815 with identical shafts. I hope it's better but deep down I can't imagine anything outperforming my 815 DBD. My current set-up is gravity core up, heavy weight in the heel and Neutral/Standard (which I spent and hour and a half being fitted for) so I assume the gravity core heavy side up in the heel and N/S is the way to go. Unfortunately the fitter has moved to a new shop and the old shop has been so good to me I can't spend my $$$ elsewhere in good conscience.

Mine arrived Tuesday, hit it once yesterday at Torrey and kept it in the bag over XR driver but Saturday it will be in the bag solo. Will takes notes and try and measure yardage and stats as I go along.

Mine arrived Tuesday, hit it once yesterday at Torrey and kept it in the bag over XR driver but Saturday it will be in the bag solo. Will takes notes and try and measure yardage and stats as I go along.

I sucks I have to work or I'd play with you with 4 clubs in the bag.

Think I'm going to try this out today. I love the looks. I love my 815 except for the glossy crown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back