Prepping for #TheGauntlet - A Golf & Fitness Self-Journey

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Like many of us I'm not in my peak physical condition and struggle with motivation to eat better, work out, etc. Having been recently selected to team JRod for #TheGauntlet though I decided to use this as my motivation to both live better and play better. So follow along with me as I track my progress and try to Live Better & Play Better.

0055.jpg

Yes I know there is a dedicated fitness thread, but this is both fitness and skill related and I didn't want to clog the other thread with what will, hopefully, be frequent updates.

Day 0 - 7/12/15
While reflecting on my golf game and what I wanted to work on in preparation I also started thinking about my fitness level. I've made the decision that over the next few months I will work hard on my game and my personal health. I mentioned all this to my wife and her comment was "Well why aren't you at the range?". Hit about 80 balls and spent 40 minutes on the putting green. As always driver was my killer and where I need to spend a lot of time before Cog Hill. A bonus to the range session was that my stepson wanted to come with and he hits the ball pretty damn well for never really showing much interest.
Starting Weight - 270lbs

7/13/15

Bought a FitBit today and enrolled in, and had, my first Yoga class ever. The class went well! I really enjoyed it and I worked up one hell of a sweat. Didn't get to do much golf practice itself in, but felt good about the day.
FitBit Stats: 9,721 Steps | 4,241 Calories Burned | 99 Active Minutes

Best of luck on your journey. Jrod is great guy and even better to share a cart with. He are with a quality guy!

Nice! Any reason to get in better shape is great. Be careful not to over look the most important conditioning for Team JROD conditioning for Tito's Handmade Vodka intake! :alien:

Good luck!

Nice! Any reason to get in better shape is great. Be careful not to over look the most important conditioning for Team JROD conditioning for Tito's Handmade Vodka intake! :alien:

Oy! I do better with the brown liquors (I'm a Bourbon *****) so I better start practicing with vodka as well!

Love seeing this from my teammate! Nick and I are with you brother as we prep for this amazing event! Good luck on your journey!

So pumped to read this Jay! I cannot wait to partner with you, JRod and Philly V! Preparation starts now... #werunthegauntlet

Good luck man, always great to have something to Kickstart you in the right direction. You can do it!

Great start..looking forward to following along.

This is going to be a great follow along.Good luck ,I love the motivation !

Love the dedication. Very effing cool dude!

Congrats and good luck in your preparation.

Good luck dude!! THP events make it VERY easy to stay motivated while working towards goals.

good luck, i know what it is like to commit to getting in shape, once you start and stay motivated you will see fantastic results, both in health and golf game

7/14/15
Got home latter than I would have liked so no real exercising occurred, but I did meet my daily food/movement goals.
FitBit Stats: Steps - 11,002 | Calories Burned - 3,800 | Calories In - 1590 | Water Drank - 62oz

On a golf related I decided on getting a BigMoss putting green and am picking it up tomorrow (the company is local). The goal will be to hit 50 puts a day.

50 putts a day is what I'm striving for also. Gonna hover around that 6 foot mark. So many match play outcomes are determined by the guys who make those putts and the guys who don't

Good luck in your journey!

Goodluck! I'll be following your journey to #TheGauntlet. I've recently started a weight loss program myself so know what you are going through.

Good luck myndcraft! Great motivation for an awesome event in Chicago!

I have been doing the same thing Jay...work at the course and when I get home I hit more putts! Thanks for the motivations man!

7/15/15
Had another good calorie in vs calorie out day and met my FitBit goals. I also enrolled in a Pilates class!!! So looking forward to starting that in two weeks.
FitBit Stats: Steps - 10,889 | Calories Burned - 3,945 | Walked - 5.08 miles | Calories In - 1,535 | Water Drank - 64oz

7/16/15
Yesterday was a poor fitness day as I wasn't able to get out and do any walking/running, but I did clean my basement up a bit and setup a workout area. Got my elliptical there now and some other equipment. Also got the putting mat I mentioned two days ago and set up a spot for that as well! For reference here's the one I got; so today starts the 50 putts a day goal!

competitorseriespro3x123cups.jpg

FitBit Stats: Steps - 7,563 | Calories Burned - 3,532 | Calories In - 1590 | Water Drank - 64oz

Good on you!!! I am Team Rhi, trying to do something similar, but with wedges....look forward to seeing and hearing your progress, and seeing you in Chicago!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7/17/15
Spent a lot of time on the putting matt and the stroke feels good. Pretty confident with the putting these days and hope I can carry it with me to #TheGauntlet
FitBit Stats: Steps - 6,938 | Calories Burned - 3,958 | Walked - 3.22 miles | Calories In - 1,700 | Water Drank - 80oz

7/18/15
Hit the range today and knocked 80 balls around. The session felt good, but I just can't put together a driver swing that feels comfortable or delivers consistent results. I'm thinking I may need to see a coach or something here soon.
FitBit Stats: Steps - 8,646 | Calories Burned - 4,202 | Walked - 4.02 miles | Calories In - 1,280 | Water Drank - 80oz

Back